Windows XP Pro

Hello:

I hope someone can help me. I am working on a friend's computer that was
previously worked on by another person.

In working on her computer, I discovered that the person before me
installed Windows XP Pro as a FAT 32 file system. Am I wrong in assuming
that Windows XP Pro utilizes the NTFS file system?

Her computer is running slow as molasses in the dead of winter [the
coldest one at that] and in the Event Viewer there are so many errors that
it is pathetic!

There are errors with atapi, the disk, and other errors. Also, when the
computer boots up, it begins to check the file system; this is how I found
out that the file system is FAT 32!

On top of all that, I am not sure if he checked the HCL to see if all
hardware was compatible with Windows XP Professional.

The lady uses dialup as access to her ISP. Can someone Please Help Me?

Thank You in Advance for Any and All Assistance and Suggestions.
5 answers Last reply
More about windows

    ZephyrPrincess wrote:
    > I hope someone can help me. I am working on a friend's computer
    > that was previously worked on by another person.
    >
    > In working on her computer, I discovered that the person before me
    > installed Windows XP Pro as a FAT 32 file system. Am I wrong in
    > assuming that Windows XP Pro utilizes the NTFS file system?
    >
    > Her computer is running slow as molasses in the dead of winter [the
    > coldest one at that] and in the Event Viewer there are so many errors
    > that it is pathetic!
    >
    > There are errors with atapi, the disk, and other errors. Also,
    > when the computer boots up, it begins to check the file system; this
    > is how I found out that the file system is FAT 32!
    >
    > On top of all that, I am not sure if he checked the HCL to see if
    > all hardware was compatible with Windows XP Professional.
    >
    > The lady uses dialup as access to her ISP. Can someone Please Help
    > Me?
    >
    > Thank You in Advance for Any and All Assistance and Suggestions.

    First off, yes - Windows XP CAN utilize NTFS. Not necessary, but has some
    nice additional features.

    It sounds like there may be a hardware problem - bad hard drive or RAM.

    At this point, it almost sounds better to backup data and perform a clean
    install.

    However, clean it up first:

    Note that Microsoft is not sending you patches in emails nor should you EVER
    open attachments you did not expect in emails. You simply posted your
    un-munged email address to the thousands of newsgroups that this is spread
    to around the world and it has been "harvested".

    Please Notice that if you use AOL, you should at least upgrade to 9.0 or
    greater before doing any of the fixes. I know you can get AOL 9.0 at almost
    any convenience store, gas station, super market or other retail outlet in
    the world, so this should not be a problem.

    Turn on that firewall...
    http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/home/using/howto/homenet/icf.asp
    (It has been reported that it now works with AOL 9.0+)

    Make sure you have all the updates (critical) installed from:
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
    (Scan for updates, Review and Install)

    Get rid of the spy/ad/mal-ware..
    (Yes - using MORE than one of these..
    I recommend at least the first three. Also..
    UPDATE the definitions for them before using.)

    Spybot Search and Destroy
    http://www.safer-networking.net/

    Lavasoft AdAware
    http://www.lavasoft.de

    CWSShredder

    Hijack This!
    http://mjc1.com/mirror/hjt/

    I also like "The Cleaner" and "SpywareBlaster" and "SpywareGuard".
    - http://www.moosoft.com/
    - http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/

    The first is a PAY product, but useable for 30 days - it has found and
    eliminated problems in the past the others did not. The latter two are
    prevention mechanisms. I like SpywareGuard for those with enough processor
    to have something running like antivirus software - and it prevents browser
    hijacking quite well. SpywareBlaster is a FANTASTIC free product, I suggest
    getting this after you cleanup and keeping it updated as well....

    And Assortment of Others:
    http://spywareinfo.com/

    ALSO - Be sure to IMMUNIZE after you clean up. SpywareBlaster and Spybot
    Search and destroy both have these features - use both!

    After you cleanup your PC somewhat of spy/ad/mal-ware, verify your antivirus
    software is updated and run a full scan of your computer. If you have no
    antivirus software - get one NOW! Grisoft AntiVirus:
    http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php

    Empty your Temporary Internet Files and shrink the size it stores to about
    80 to 120MB (seems to be an optimal size for the normal user)

    - Open ONE copy of Internet Explorer.
    - Select TOOLS -> Internet Options.
    - Under the General tab in the "Temporary Internet Files" section,
    do the following:
    - Click on "Delete Cookies" (click OK)
    - Click on "Settings" and change the
    "Amount of disk space to use:" to something between 80MB
    and 120MB. (Betting it is MUCH larger right now.)
    - Click OK.
    - Click on "Delete Files" and select to
    "Delete all offline contents" (the checkbox) and click
    OK. (If you had a LOT, this could take 2-10 minutes or
    more.)
    - Once it is done, click OK, close Internet Explorer
    - Re-open Internet Explorer.

    Uninstall any software you do not use often/ever. (If you have something
    installed but never use it, uninstall it.) If you go through Control
    Panel -> Add/Remove Programs and see things you seldom if ever use, it is to
    your advantage to remove it.

    Also, if you are tired of Web Page Pop-Ups/Unders.. You could try the
    Google Toolbar.
    http://toolbar.google.com/

    Stop loading applications at logon.. run MSCONFIG and look under the startup
    tab for things you DON'T want to startup! Search the Internet with Google
    to discover what things are safe to remove and what things may even be
    malware infecting your computer.

    Better control your email and lessen the amount of time you spend dealing
    with SPAM:
    SpamBayes
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/spambayes/
    or
    Spamihilator.
    http://www.spamihilator.com

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    Hello:

    Thank You for responding. Shucks, that is going to be a difficult [No,
    impossible]task. The young man who put the Windows XP Pro on her system did
    not give her the backup software in case a situation [such as this one]
    arises.

    Again, Thanks for Responding! I can always depend on someone here in the
    group to answer my question and help solve technical difficulties.
    "Shenan Stanley" <news_helper@hushmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > - Once it is done, click OK, close Internet Explorer
    > - Re-open Internet Explorer.
    >

    > Uninstall any software you do not use often/ever. (If you have something
    > installed but never use it, uninstall it.) If you go through Control
    > Panel -> Add/Remove Programs and see things you seldom if ever use, it is
    > your advantage to remove it.
    >

    > Also, if you are tired of Web Page Pop-Ups/Unders.. You could try the
    > Google Toolbar.
    > http://toolbar.google.com/
    >

    > Stop loading applications at logon.. run MSCONFIG and look under the
    startup
    > tab for things you DON'T want to startup! Search the Internet with Google
    > to discover what things are safe to remove and what things may even be
    > malware infecting your computer.
    >

    > Better control your email and lessen the amount of time you spend dealing

    Just to clarify one point, XP, Pro or Home Edition can use either FAT32 or
    NTFS and is compatible with both. However, NTFS is required to enable most
    of the XP security functions. Also, under FAT32, XP usually seems a little
    faster. I don't think the problems the user is experiencing is related to
    the file system though XP using NTFS tends to be more stable than when using
    FAT32.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "ZephyrPrincess" <unicornprincess_98@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> [...]
    >> - Once it is done, click OK, close Internet Explorer
    >> - Re-open Internet Explorer.
    >>

    >> Uninstall any software you do not use often/ever. (If you have something
    >> installed but never use it, uninstall it.) If you go through Control
    >> Panel -> Add/Remove Programs and see things you seldom if ever use, it is
    >> your advantage to remove it.
    >>

    >> Also, if you are tired of Web Page Pop-Ups/Unders.. You could try the
    >> Google Toolbar.
    >> http://toolbar.google.com/
    >>

    >> Stop loading applications at logon.. run MSCONFIG and look under the
    > startup
    >> tab for things you DON'T want to startup! Search the Internet with
    >> Google
    >> to discover what things are safe to remove and what things may even be
    >> malware infecting your computer.
    >>

    >> Better control your email and lessen the amount of time you spend dealing

    Good Evening, Michael:

    Thank You for Responding. In going back and reviewing the Event Viewer,
    most of the problems are hardware related. I plan to take a closer look at
    the hardware in her system and see if there are any driver updates that need
    to be applied. Her computer is making an awful sound [like a vacuum cleaner
    running].

    I appreciate all responses from experts here in the group, and take each
    response into consideration and apply them to the situation at hand. Again,
    Thank You for Responding and your expert assistance.

    "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in
    message news:%23GrgthKMEHA.556@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> [...]
    > >> - Re-open Internet Explorer.
    > >>

    > >> Uninstall any software you do not use often/ever. (If you have
    something
    > >> installed but never use it, uninstall it.) If you go through Control
    > >> Panel -> Add/Remove Programs and see things you seldom if ever use, it
    is
    > >> your advantage to remove it.
    > >>

    > >> Also, if you are tired of Web Page Pop-Ups/Unders.. You could try the
    > >> Google Toolbar.
    > >> http://toolbar.google.com/
    > >>

    > >> Stop loading applications at logon.. run MSCONFIG and look under the
    > > startup
    > >> tab for things you DON'T want to startup! Search the Internet with
    > >> Google
    > >> to discover what things are safe to remove and what things may even be
    > >> malware infecting your computer.
    > >>

    > >> Better control your email and lessen the amount of time you spend

    You're welcome.

    If you have a can of compressed air or a blower of some type, you might try
    opening the PC's case and blow out the dust and be sure to blow the dust off
    any fans, the case fan, the fan on the graphics card if any and the
    processor as they might be the source of the noise. Be sure all fans are
    working as well. If one is laboring, that could be the source of the noise.

    --

    > Good Evening, Michael:
    >
    > Thank You for Responding. In going back and reviewing the Event Viewer,
    > most of the problems are hardware related. I plan to take a closer look
    > at
    > the hardware in her system and see if there are any driver updates that
    > need
    > to be applied. Her computer is making an awful sound [like a vacuum
    > cleaner
    > running].
    >
    > I appreciate all responses from experts here in the group, and take each
    > response into consideration and apply them to the situation at hand.
    > Again,
    > Thank You for Responding and your expert assistance.
    >

    > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in
    > message news:%23GrgthKMEHA.556@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    >> Just to clarify one point, XP, Pro or Home Edition can use either FAT32
    >> or
    >> NTFS and is compatible with both. However, NTFS is required to enable
    > most
    >> of the XP security functions. Also, under FAT32, XP usually seems a
    > little
    >> faster. I don't think the problems the user is experiencing is related
    >> the file system though XP using NTFS tends to be more stable than when
    > using
    >> FAT32.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>
    >> "ZephyrPrincess" <unicornprincess_98@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >> > Hello:
    >> >
    >> > Thank You for responding. Shucks, that is going to be a difficult
    >> > [No,
    >> > impossible]task. The young man who put the Windows XP Pro on her
    >> > system
    >> > did
    >> > not give her the backup software in case a situation [such as this one]
    >> > arises.
    >> >
    >> > Again, Thanks for Responding! I can always depend on someone here in
    > the
    >> > group to answer my question and help solve technical difficulties.
    >> > "Shenan Stanley" <news_helper@hushmail.com> wrote in message

    > clean

    >> > EVER

    > or
    >> > almost

    >> > processor
    >> > browser
    >> > suggest

    > Spybot

    >> > antivirus
    > no

    > something
    > is

    >> > startup

    > dealing

Configuration File System Computers Windows XP