Hi peeps,

System Specs

Asus Rampage Formula
2 x HD4870 1Gb Graphics, crossfired
Q6600 processor O/C to 3.4GHz, 8x Mult, 425MHz FSB
2Gb 800MHZ DDR2
Lots of hard drives
LG W2252TQ monitor

following on from varying screen flicker issues and a virus infestation (not related!) I decided to reload my operating systems today. But there's a problem.

I've been doing a lot of benchmarking work recently as I've been working on a new overclock. My 3DM06 benchmark score before the reformat was around 9300 for SM3.0 and 6800 for SM2.0 which is exactly what they are now after the reload :eek: This would be all very well, but I haven't yet installed the ATI CCC & drivers and therefore crossfire should be disabled. This was on Windows 7 OS which wasn't cluttered so I don't believe that would make a difference.

So here's the questions:

1. Can Windows enable crossfire?
2. Does 3DM06 utilise crossfire (i'd be disappointed if it didn't!)?
3. Does anyone else have a benchmark score from a similar system to compare?

I'd like the hear what anyone has to offer. I don't want to install the ATI drivers yet as it may be a one way street and I won't be able to get back to the position I'm in now without another reload.

The screen flicker issues may be important here (I've posted on it before). Currently, with no ATI drivers loaded, screen flicker is at an absolute minimum, although there is still some especially when something is loading, for example when the new tests are being loaded in 3DM06. I know from past experience that as soon as I install the ATI drivers the screen flicker will get a lot worse, unless I set the memory clocks down as far as they will go, and even that doesn't fix it entirely.

Thanks for anything anyone has to offer :)

lonewarder

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
I'm not really up to speed with the state of ATI driver development for Windows 7 Beta, but I do have some input regarding an obvious problem with your system configuration; you currently have half the amount of memory necessary to handle the data flow of a 64-bit, dual-graphics system (or even 32-bit, for that matter). I will absolutely guarantee an improvement in stability and performance if you go with 4GB RAM (minimum). You may well still have driver issues after this upgrade, but at least your hardware won't be holding you back anymore(-as long as you have an adequate PSU of 700W or more). Besides the memory issue, you have a great system, by the way. Good luck.

Fruity

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
Thanks lonewarder
The RAM theory is easily tested...got another 2Gb RAM in a drawer behind me!
Might be worth noting that it also does it in 32bit XP pro with 3Gb RAM installed. I wasn't shy with the PSU specs and went with a Zalman 1Kw unit - all voltages seem to be within spec so shouldn't be causing problems.

Fruity

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
Well, I've done a couple more tests and here's the results:

1. Windows 7 does automatically enable crossfire
2. 3DM06 does utilise crossfire
3. 4Gb DDR2 800 RAM makes no difference to my screen flicker issues in either 32bit XP pro or 64 bit windows 7 ultimate.

ATI have released drivers for Windows 7 - updating these has made no difference to the screen flicker either.

Does anyone have any other ideas? Is there any chance it could be related to PCIe freq? It's currently set to 100MHz. The problem existed on my system when everything was at stock settings, so I don't think it's related to the overclock.