HDD configuration with clean vista64 install

jeffdbodean

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Hi Guys,
I want to start of with saying hi to all here as I am a new member here. My question pertains to what is usually the best configuration for installing vista. I mean should I take my 640 gb hdd and create a certain number of partitions on it or should I combine my hard drives? I have 2 WD Black 640Gb 32mb Cache drives and 2 Seagate Baracuda 250Gb 16mb Cache drives. I am mostly concerned with running Photoshop CS4 with this new build. I will also be using the Asus M2N32 Sli Deluxe Wireless Edition Mobo with Riad capability, AMD Quad 9850, 2 Geforce 8800 GTS 640mb Video cards, 8Gb Ram, and 2 Optical Drives. My main concern is that I will want to be able to back all my work up so as not to loose any files at any time. Image file editing is time consuming and I don't want to loose those files I create within CS4. I would appreciate any advise as to what is the best way for me to utilize my drives for maximine performance with CS4. I have heard someone say to install OS on a partition with plenty of (Swap Space). What is (Swap Space)? I've also seen where it was suggested to maybe even use a seperate physical drive for this (Swap Space). Can anyone clear this up for me please? I thank all who will give me advise and input to my concerns.
Thank You,
Jeff

jeffdbodean

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Thanks for the input. One question that may be a dumb one but I have no idea what is meant by the swap file. I keep hearing of it but I would like clarification as to what it is and how I set it up.
Thansk,
Jeff

How to manually change the size of the virtual memory paging file

To manually change the size of virtual memory, follow these steps:
Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl in the Open box, and then press ENTER.
Click the Advanced tab, and then under Performance click Settings.
Click the Advanced tab, and then under Virtual memory click Change.
Under Drive [Volume Label], click the drive that contains the paging file that you want to change.
Under Paging file size for selected drive, click Custom size, type a new paging file size in megabytes (MB) in the Initial size (MB) or Maximum size (MB) box, and then click Set.
Click OK to close the dialog box and apply changes.

jeffdbodean

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Thanks for your help with this. I am going to load on 250Gb drive and turn off paging file. From what I have been reading it seems that if you have 8Gb of ram you should have no need for the paging file and thus improve performance. This may not be right so it will be a trial by error. If it doesn't work I can always turn it back on. While it won't completely turn off it will set it at only 16mb which is evidently mandatory. Oh'well we'll see how it does. I really want to thank you for posting your advise, especialy since you are the only one it seems that is willing to offer any help at all.
Thanks,
Jeff