Sign in with
Your question

Looking for advice about a new system...

Last response: in CPUs
May 10, 2009 9:09:29 AM

Hey all,

I'm looking to set up a new system for a work computer and do a little bit of gaming, money is not really an issue and I have been out of the hardware cycle for a year or two now so dont have all the up-to date news on the hardware setups.

I personally like abit mobos and intel cpus but its not a requirement, besides i think Abit has kind of lost traction recently. I know there will be some disagreements but if anyone has a quick bit of help or advice on certain mobo/cpu combos and power supplies to research, especially any power supplies that should I avoid. If anyone knows of any deals from some manufactured pcs I would like to check those out although I've only ever built pcs.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated, if ur in a rush u dont have to give me the story about a product just post the model numbers and let me do the research. :sol: 

More about : advice system

a b à CPUs
a b ) Power supply
May 10, 2009 9:29:24 AM

I'm not going to give you much info because I think the best way you can find things out is research and not just what one person says.

Most people are bias to whatever build they have or would like to have, meaning their answers might not be exactly what you're after.. regardless though, I'll try and help a little.

If you're mainly going to be using this for business / work, and some light gaming (I assume by that you ment you only play a few games and not often and not that you play crysis, GTA4 etc. but just not often ;)  ) I would go for an ASUS or Gigabyte board, but do look for reviews / forum posts about them. I've had two ASUS boards now and one was evil.. constantly killing HDD's etc. My first computer used a Gigabyte board, and that was very stable and kept cool.. so that's something you might want to look into.

I always build AMD, because I find the stability, pricing and performance just that little sweeter than Intel, but I'm sure many would argue with me on that. I would suggest you look into AM2 socket chips / motherboards if you're going for AMD. There is no need for Quad-cores if you're just working on it unless you're into CAD or 3D rendering ;) .

You could get an AM2 dual-core processer from 40 (50-60USD?) to around £70 (90-110USD?) and I would go for something like mine, 5600+ just so you're not upgrading in a few months time. The 5600+ runs great, easily plays a lot of games (including crysis) and is perfect for business use.

If you're after an Intel machine, I'm a little under-qualified but I can still help. You could get a good intel board for around £60 which will have good onboard graphics, can support a PCI-E graphics card and run dual-core. Even for light gaming etc, I'd go for a graphics card over onboard.

If you're looking at NVIDIA, one of the cards I use (XFX 8600GTS) is very good for slightly older games. If you're wanting to play the latest, at least two of these in SLI or a much faster card is required.

Looking at ATI.. You could get a Sapphire HD 3650 for £45 ($60USD?) which again, could handle quite a bit.. but not the latest games.

Really, I would look for packages which ebuyer, maplin and other shops are putting together. I get daily emails from Maplin showing a motherboard, processor and often a graphics card which have already been tested together and work 100%.

You buy the package knowing it's all going to work and save money too!

Hope this helps a little ;)  .
May 10, 2009 9:40:41 AM

Thanks alot for the info, I know there are going to be some disagreements between posters so hopefully noone gets to upset by ones opinion. Are there any chipsets that you know of to stay away from in either AMD or Intel, my heart isn't set on one or the other yet. Also does ABIT still make good motherboards or was that just my old school days with the P4E and the ICH7 combo :) 
Related resources
May 10, 2009 9:55:44 AM

The HD4770 is very cheap as well and completly new, sometimes equal in preformance to the HD4850, and outpreforms the HD4830 completley. I have a Gigabyte motherboard as well and I'm really confedent with it :D . I agree on getting a AMD processor 5600+ / 6000+. ( I have the 6000+, yay )
May 10, 2009 9:56:51 AM

God damn cant edit my messages, it's really pissing me off
May 10, 2009 11:11:42 AM

Helloworld_98 said:
abit has gone bust.

That makes me really sad!!! :cry:  As far as my knowledge they are the only company who used all gold capacitors and was quality. Is Asus the new top brand? Or gigabyte? And dont tell me its ECS I will call u a liar!
May 10, 2009 11:12:21 AM

Helloworld_98 said:
abit has gone bust.

That makes me really sad!!! :cry:  As far as my knowledge they are the only company who used all gold capacitors and was quality. Is Asus the new top brand? Or gigabyte? And dont tell me its ECS I will call u a liar!
May 10, 2009 11:13:00 AM

First double post since i rejoined forums! w00tsauce!
May 10, 2009 11:20:06 AM

ASUS, gigabyte and EVGA are top for quality now, with Gigabyte at the top bang for buck and EVGA prohibitively expensive.

however biostar is also a good brand for oc'ers.
May 10, 2009 11:24:31 AM

Any info on chipsets? best/worst?
a c 172 à CPUs
a c 144 ) Power supply
May 10, 2009 11:29:29 AM

Kustom42 said:

Hey! I have an ECS motherboard in one of my computers, and I'll have you know (as jsc teeters on his soapbox) that it is worth much more than I paid for it. Of course, I got it for free. Fry's used it for a giveaway when I bought my Q6600. I needed a home for my E6600.

The two most popular brands right now are Asus and Gigabyte. I happen to prefer Gigabyte, but you can't go wrong with selected models.

May 10, 2009 11:34:29 AM

You know its a good motherboard when a major retailer gives it away...

^^ sorry for the negative attitude but I have had many bad experiences with ECS
May 10, 2009 12:37:38 PM

Anyone any thoughts about Asrock? It's a old player as well but a bit quiet nowadays...
May 10, 2009 12:37:43 PM

Anyone any thoughts about Asrock? It's a old player as well but a bit quiet nowadays...
!