Restarting problems

algis87

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008
I have a problem
When I restart my pc, it doesnt boot up and gives continuous short beeps. I have to wait about 5-10 minutes to successfully boot it. In my motherboard manual it says that continuous short beeps mean power error. I can run my pc for many hours without any problems, but I cant restart it successfully.
My system specs are:
Gigabyte M61PM-S2 (rev.2.0)
AMD Athlon X2 6000+
GeForce 9600gt (passively cooled)
2gb DDR2 667 RAM
400W PSU
What is wrong? How do I fix it?
Thanks in advance

royalcrown

Distinguished
Get a better power supply ! When you initially boot a computer, all the fans and drives have to spin up to speed and draw a lot more current than when it is running! Your probably taking so long because power getting shorted and so things take longer to get up to speed, which causes them to draw more current for a longer time.

Whether you have a cheap power supply, or a no name brand, your computer is already telling you what is wrong. Go get a good PS, like a corsair 500 or 650.

algis87

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008

It doesn't take long to boot my pc, it boots in a few seconds. I just can't boot it after restart, I have to wait a few minutes to do it. I am using my system for almost a year now and this problem never happened to me until a few days ago.

LiL JRG

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
Im still going to stick to the PSU problem as stated by royalcrown, I recommend you upgrade to a good brand such as Antec or Thermaltake, and also I recommend you get a 550W minimum or a 650-750W if you have some cash so you are futureproofed if you upgrade later.

EDIT: Nvidia states that you need at least 450W for the 9600GT, it could be the problem as I ran mine on a Thermaltake 430W and had a couple of issues when restarting!