Sign in with
Your question

Computer turns on, turns off couple seconds after

Last response: in Systems
February 10, 2009 8:33:15 PM

hey all. I dont know if this has been stated before, but i have a computer and the PSU died. I replaced the PSU with a new corsair one. Now when i go to turn it on, the LEDs come on the case, the fans turn on, CPU fan turns on, PSU fans turn on and HDDs spool. I have tested to see if it was the power switch by shorting the pins with a screwdriver. The computer turned on then went off again as before. It does not beep or anything. I can force the computer to stay on by holding the reset switch.

Specs:
Motherboard: ASrock P4i45GV
GPU: Gigabyte Geforce FX 5200
RAM: ECI DDR RAM PC2700
CPU: Socket 478 Celeron OC'ed to 2.9 Ghz from 2.6
Case: ECI case

I don't know what to do anymore as I have tried a lot of things. I am hoping to get some pro-help from the community :) 
February 10, 2009 8:38:53 PM

OK. I will try this out and then report back.
Related resources
February 11, 2009 1:54:37 AM

OK. I should have noted that I got this computer custom buit for me. The computer was running perfectly for 2-3 years till the old PSU crapped out. With the old PSU, a couple of hours before it totally crapped out, It would do the boot thing and then shut off without the a beep or anything. Then I got home, computer didn't turn on at all. So then i went and bought the Corsair PSU. Now it does what was said in first post.

PS: I read the checklist. Everything matches up except there are no 4 pins for the CPU anywhere on the motherboard. I'm guessing it's powered through the motherboard?
February 11, 2009 3:00:08 AM

Check the motherboard for any swollen/leaking capacitors.
February 12, 2009 3:15:07 AM

OK. I checked the capacitors and they all look normal. None are leaking or swollen. Would my best bet be to take it to a computer repair shop? Anyone else have other ideas?

PS thank you for the ideas thus far
a b B Homebuilt system
February 12, 2009 4:43:55 AM

Yes, the mobo you have listed lacks the 4/8 pin cpu power. It will power thru the 20 pin psu power. Try re-seating the cpu, ram, and video card. If you aren't getting beep codes, it's not POSTing, meaning something isn't installed/connected right.
February 12, 2009 2:21:31 PM

OK. If I re-seat the CPU will I have to buy thermal grease for it?
a b B Homebuilt system
February 12, 2009 2:36:44 PM

It's a good idea to wipe it off and apply new paste, but you can get away with using the old paste.

Does it still stay on if you hold down the reset switch? That sounds like your front panel wiring is wrong. Look at the manual, do you have the power and reset on the right pins?
February 12, 2009 2:41:58 PM

I looked up the manual on the ASrock website and I have put the wiring properly. The only wiring that i changed was the LED lights because the power led had 3 sockets vs the 2 its supposed to have. When i turn it on the green (power) LED light comes on so the wiring must be good. I will double check to make sure, and I will also buy new thermal paste. Any recommendations for paste and/or cleaner?
February 12, 2009 2:53:34 PM

I have re-seated the RAM and video card. Now just the CPU to go. Could the RAM have gone bad if it was working before?
a b B Homebuilt system
February 12, 2009 3:04:52 PM

RAM can fail at any time, specially if it's cheap stuff.

This is the paste I use
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Just wipe off as much of the old stuff as you can w/ a dry towel, and apply a SMALL amount. I usually put a couple drops. Some say 1 dime sized drop. You don't want it running off the cpu onto the pins.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 12, 2009 3:07:14 PM

Does it still work if you hold down the reset switch?
February 12, 2009 3:53:22 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. It does not work when holding down the reset switch. Is there any way to test RAM? and I have a spare DDR 400 piece lying around. My motherboard only takes DDR 333 max though...
February 12, 2009 11:05:59 PM

OK, back. I have taken out all the components one by one testing to see which one was the culprit. So far, no good. I took out all the RAM and then booted the computer. There was no speaker beeps or anything. It did exactly the same thing as before. Now tomorrow I will go buy thermal grease and cleaner and then re-seat the HS and Fan. Hopefully that will do it. If not, I don't know what to do after that.

If the HDD or DVD Drive isn't connected properly could that cause it not to pass post? As far as i know all connections look super solid. I have one master Drive and one Slave. the DVD Drive is stand alone.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 12, 2009 11:32:56 PM

manjiman said:
OK. I should have noted that I got this computer custom buit for me. The computer was running perfectly for 2-3 years till the old PSU crapped out. With the old PSU, a couple of hours before it totally crapped out, It would do the boot thing and then shut off without the a beep or anything. Then I got home, computer didn't turn on at all. So then i went and bought the Corsair PSU. Now it does what was said in first post.

PS: I read the checklist. Everything matches up except there are no 4 pins for the CPU anywhere on the motherboard. I'm guessing it's powered through the motherboard?

I would usually pin these symptoms on the psu, but the corsair is high quality. If HD was missing, you would still get video. If the RAM was faulty, you should still start POSTing and then receive a beep code. If the video card wasn't seated or not plugged in right, you should receive a beep code. I'm going to lean towards dead mobo, specially since you said the troubles started before replacing the psu. The psu may not have wanted to die alone and took the board with it.
February 12, 2009 11:48:50 PM

Alright. I'll have to look for another socket 478 motherboard.
February 12, 2009 11:49:37 PM

Thanks for the help. I will post back when I get the new motherboard. Will shop around saturday.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 13, 2009 1:08:15 AM

If you have to get a new board, you may be better off upgrading to a 775 socket board.
February 13, 2009 1:42:13 AM

Doesn't that mean I would need new RAM, new video card and new CPU? I do not have the funds for that...
a b B Homebuilt system
February 13, 2009 2:05:10 AM

Ya, agp slots for video cards are long gone. The RAM and CPU are quite dated. It was just a suggestion, let us know how it goes.
August 1, 2009 3:39:49 AM

someone i know has P4i45GV boots up, then the CPU fan starts to work then shut down right away.

over and over.. .. ..

need help badly.. .. ..

no Video Card
512mb ddr ram
2.0 ghz intel
!