Why won't it overclock anymore?

boswell3782

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
I have a AMD Athlon II X2 250 64-bit processer and I have seen people able to overclock to 3.8ghz but I can only overclock till' 3.51ghz it's very annoying
knowing other people can oc faster and I can't? Any ideas?

CPU-Z Reading:
2yxer21.png

Thanks alot!

welshmousepk

Distinguished
What motherboard do you have?

a low end mobo is usually a limiter in these situations. my HTPCs athlon 635 can only hit 3.1 thanks to my old Am2+ mobo.

but not all chips are the same anyway, they won't all hit the same level. it could just be that you have hit the ceiling on what your chip can take.

jhbwolverine

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2008

Why can't you overclock any more? As in, what specifically is limiting you from going any further? Are the temps too high or what? Knowing exactly what's going on might make it easier to solve the problem.

With the little information you've supplied, our miracle department is off on the weekends!

There are so many factors as to why some can reach certain clocks and some not.

1. The quality level and stepping of the CPU!

2. The overclock ability of the rest of the hardware!

3. BIOS settings off somewhere!

4. Lack of overclocking knowledge!

5. Poor case airflow and CPU cooling solution!

6. Lack of component specification knowledge!

7. Not enough Vcore applied!

8. Running the system memory past it's capabilities!

9. Not enough NB voltage!

Etc. etc. Unless we can sit down at your computer, see what you have done to fully understand what is keeping it from going further or if it even can go further, all you'll get is suggestions and guesstimates as to the solution!

You may actually be at your CPU's max clock now and don't realize it, simply because even though you may have seen others get better results, you have no idea of their overclocking knowledge, or cooling they're using to get there.

You also have no idea if their overclocks are a one time fluke that barely stayed stable long enough to make a CPU-Z validation or completely 24/7 100% stable, so you don't know the full validity of what you've even read, you've trusted it to be true.

And you're not providing enough information for anyone here to seriously help you, except maybe Criss Angel!