Sign in with
Your question

Dell Power Supply Questions.

Last response: in Components
May 10, 2009 5:12:04 PM

Hello,

I have a quite old Dell Optiplex GX260 which has a 2.0GHz Pentium 4 Processor on a Intel 845G chipset. It has a slim power supply (not one found in a desktop tower) This is my only hardware I have access to, so please note, I will not be getting a new machine. However, I do have a small budget for upgrades. I would like to take almost all of the components out of the slimline case, and put them into a mid tower where I have a little more room for expandability and so forth. I would like to take the CD drive, hard drive, motherboard, CPU, and fans in that new case so I may have room for a video card, and other periphials.

My only concern is that I would not have an ATX power supply to put in the new case, as the one in the GX260 is a little tiny integrated type one. I have heard something like Dell has their own connections and what not. Does anyone know if this applies to me? Is there any other options or ideas that you may have? Can I purchase a cheap 300 or 400W ATX PSU? Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Adding this in...

Looking at Newegg, I see a few regular ATX power supplies that are about 300 or 400W, and seem that they have the same connectors as the one in the GX260 which has a power supply called the Dell 1N405. Have I just answered my own question?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thanks so much.
a c 248 ) Power supply
May 10, 2009 8:29:40 PM

DellUser1 one is one of our veteran posters. He's pretty knowledgeable about Dell psu's and replacements. Maybe he'll pop in. I seem to recall he had a couple of links to online vendors who specialized in decent replacement psu's for off the shelf pc's like Dell, HP, and Gateway.

In the meantime, is there a label or any printing on your current psu?

Rosewill power supplies get bashed fairly regularly at this and other forums. However, they do have a few units that did okay in technical reviews. It seems to depend on which psu manufacturer built a particular model for Rosewill.
May 10, 2009 9:30:58 PM

Thanks for posting. Yeah, I am actually on my laptop, sitting in Wi-Fi right now, so I am not exactly able to see the actual tag but...there is this website which has the power supply on it:

http://www.atxpowersupplies.com/180-watt-dell-power-sup...

I do not know how to tell whether a ATX supply would be compatible...any thoughts would be appreciated. =)
Related resources
a c 248 ) Power supply
May 10, 2009 10:44:59 PM

Gee! That's some sort of slimline psu - not the same as typical atx.
a c 83 ) Power supply
May 11, 2009 12:11:43 AM

If I remember correctly, Dell stopped using "special" PSUs when they came out with the P4. P3s used special PSUs, but no P4s did. If so, thats a standard PSU pin out, just in a slim casing. Comb through Dells site and see if you can get a pinout of that PSU. If it matches the standard ATX spec, your good to go.
May 11, 2009 1:21:30 AM

Thanks again...actually posting this thread made me think a little more about the situation I am in...I planned on spending roughly $150 to upgrade this old system, while I could almost be building a fairly equivalent (as in terms of computer power) on a newer and more upgradable platform.

Instead, I could get a brand new AMD Sempron LE-1300 (hehe, I know- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...), 2GB of RAM, a new case, possibly a graphics card, and others, while utilizing some of my older equipment, in my Optiplex, such as CD drives, hard drives etc. Final cost would only be about $200.00.

That machine is actually running Ubuntu 9.04 so, I wish not to run into any more compatibility errors with older parts than I already have.

I know I pretty much changed the subject, but any ideas?
May 11, 2009 2:06:16 AM

You'll need a new motherboard if you want to get that AMD CPU. Also you can get the "Lima" 2.7GHz AMD Athlon 64 CPU for the same price as the LE-1300
a c 83 ) Power supply
May 11, 2009 2:52:00 AM

If you can afford the newer setup at all, thats a great idea. Four gigs of DDR2 ram is $50. If you can find a cheap motherboard and CPU, you might be able to get both for just over $100. With a good PSU, your probably just over $200, probably around $220. The question then becomes video. I have no idea what your video requirements are, or what resolution you may or may not game at. I do know that the 4770 is around $100, and is very good for what you get. This means a dual core system with 4GBs of ram and the 4770 will only run you $325ish. Not a bad deal and quite a bit better then what you have. You can always get a slower $50-60 GPU. You might be able to reuse your Dell case, I'm not sure. If you do have that budget, you are better off getting it.

Edit: Forgot, you have the slim line case... You'd need a new case, thats going to be $40 or so at the least. I suggest geeks.com if you need a case on the cheap.
May 11, 2009 8:15:17 PM

I am completely aware of having to have a new motherboard and such....actually, I will be needing everything new. (Almost)...I am a high school student, if that matters, and without a real job at the moment, and I figured since I am sort of a tech savvy guy, I would try the "building" game. (My good friend has built several PCs, so I am sure he could help ;)  ).

My budget is only about $250.00 at the moment, which to any gamer, is a smack in the face to new technologies, but this is what I am willing to spend. My priorities:

- School Work (Word Processing, Spreadsheets, Presentations)
- Internet (Youtube, Forums, Casual Browser Gaming)
- Small bit of 3D Work, (nothing my Pentium 4 couldn't take)
- Instant Messaging
- Occasional game (nothing really intensive: maybe a Civ game or Warcraft or Diablo)

Most of my stuff is low key...basic stuff. I myself, do not know what hardware to choose...

But I am pretty sure, I will skip getting a graphics card--I have a proposed AM2+ board that has integrated Nvidia 8200... which is quite descent for integrated accelerators, but it also is quite a bit cheaper that buying a real card, and Nvidia tends to have better drivers, especially for me, working on Ubuntu...

So that is where I am at. If anyone wants to commen further, go ahead.

PS I am using a 17 inch screen 1440X900. ;) 
a c 83 ) Power supply
May 11, 2009 10:26:22 PM

Take a serious look at this option. If you can get that board for cheap, and drop in a cheap $50 dual core AM2+ CPU, your almost there. I recently saw on my local Craigs list a P3 for $30. You wouldn't want the 500MHz P3, but the tower for $30 might not be bad. Take a look around and see what you can come up with.
May 11, 2009 10:41:04 PM

Hey thanks, 4745454b for all of your support. The motherboard is a microATX board and it is about $75.00 which is slightly pricey for a uTX but it does have descent onboard video, so that I wont have to pay the extra $70 or so for a real card. Additionally, I believe there was a case on sale at MicroCenter. It was a Cooler Master case (uATX) for $30. Good reviews as well. I will look at the Dual Core CPUs
a c 83 ) Power supply
May 11, 2009 11:44:32 PM

I wouldn't get that first one. Its the same price as this dual core.

The sole advantage yours has is that its retail, so the HSF is included unlike my link and your second link. Adding a HSF latter will cause the price to go up. I think I saw one on newegg for $55 that was retail and free shipping, look for that one. (never mind, here it is.)

$75 + $53 + $50 (ram) = $178. This leaves $72 for new PSU and case. Re use your old drives, and I think your done. You MIGHT be able to find an Antec combo for ~$70, but you'll probably need some more $$$.

Here is the case and PSU, can you swing it? Its $80, and thats shipped.

May 12, 2009 12:27:42 AM

Yeah...should be able to pull something off similar to that. Thank you so much for your informative responses...I think I am on the right path now. So we will see how this goes. If and when I do this, I will send you a message on its status, but that may be in a few months, during the Summer possibly.
:) 
a c 83 ) Power supply
May 12, 2009 12:41:20 AM

Good luck.
!