EVGA 9800 GTX+ 18A vs. 24A Power

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • EVGA
  • Power
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
March 7, 2009 2:24:03 AM

I just bought the EVGA 9800+ GTX and it arrived today. In reading the box, it says it needs 24A on the +12V rail. I have a 600W OCZ Game Xtreme power supply (#OCZ600GXSSLI) which is rated at 18V on each of the four +12V rails. I'm not running sli. Is the amp difference really a big deal?

Thanks,
Forevernoub

More about : evga 9800 gtx 18a 24a power

a b Î Nvidia
March 7, 2009 2:36:59 AM

Forevernoub said:
I just bought the EVGA 9800+ GTX and it arrived today. In reading the box, it says it needs 24A on the +12V rail. I have a 600W OCZ Game Xtreme power supply (#OCZ600GXSSLI) which is rated at 18V on each of the four +12V rails. I'm not running sli. Is the amp difference really a big deal?

Thanks,
Forevernoub

No it's not a big deal, the power reccomendation of 24 amps is for the entire system not just the card.
March 7, 2009 2:49:45 AM

delluser1 said:
No it's not a big deal, the power reccomendation of 24 amps is for the entire system not just the card.

Thanks, DellUser1! Ok... I'm powering down now and installing the new card. Upgrading from a 7600GT. Woot!
Related resources
March 8, 2009 7:34:17 PM

Dude, hold on. I think DellUser mis-spoke when he said the 24amps was for the whole system.

You said it is on your card's box. That means your graphic card requires 24amps for worry-free performance. This is quite common. Most high-end cards today require 18-30amps. They may not use it all the time, but could need it. Don't rob them of what they need yet demand them to perform the same. If your power supply cannot deliver 24amps, it will deliver the 18 it can, but your card will run hot.

I doubt seriously 6amps too little will cause problems, but anymore, and you could ruin your card over time.

I just did this with my 8800 which required 30 and I had no idea. My PSU only gives up 14amps to each 12v rail. It was not enough. My card worked fine for months (even gaming) but eventually died after a year.

I hope some others will also reply and re-affirm what I'm saying here, so take what one person says here with a grain of salt, but do be careful. Monitor your temperatures closely especially while gaming.
March 8, 2009 7:53:50 PM

According to http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-radeon-powe... your 9800 gtx+ will consume about 10-11 amps. Graphics cards tend to overstate their amperage requirements to be safe, so you should be safe, but as Fletch said, monitor your temps to see if anything goofy is going on with your PSU. Amperage measurements get kinda tricky when the 12v rail is split, like the ratings you see are for one line at a time, and you can't run all 4 cords at 18a each. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can clear this up.

For what it's worth, I'm running SLI 8800 GT 512 MB cards on an OCZ 750W PSU. This has a 12v rail with 4 plugs rated at 18a each. This consumes about 16.6 amps total and I've had zero issues.
March 8, 2009 7:56:57 PM

For reference mine was an 8800GTS OC with 640MB ram. I think it was going to run hot no matter what but low voltage and barely enough PSU surely didn't help it either.
a b Î Nvidia
March 8, 2009 8:27:57 PM

IPvFletch said:
Dude, hold on. I think DellUser mis-spoke when he said the 24amps was for the whole system.

No, I didn't.