Upgrading My Dell

eagles358

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
I have a dell Optiplex GX620. It is about 3 years old I was originally planning just to upgrade my video card and add some ram, but I realized that I only have a 305W psu. I was wondering if just by getting a better power supply and a new video card (was thinking along the lines of Geforce 9800 GT) would by computer still limit the performance of the video card? I am completely satisfied with the performance of my computer minus the current video card. Also should just about any PSU work with my computer or can I only use certain ones? Thanks

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
this thread should help you with your PSU question http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/210472-28-replace-dell-optiplex-gx620-305w . I read it and it seems to be accurate but with out being there to see the computer i cant guarantee 100% of the informations. I looked up your model and to tell you the truth I really think a single core anything is gonna bottle neck that video card regardless of memory (there where several model specs listed from Pentium D to Pentium 4 HT). If your getting the new video card for new games or for video editing its a waste of money. Any new game is gonna rip that processor to shreds and if its for video editing same story its gonna bottle neck like mad. I would suggest would be to build a new system. The system as it stands now will be fine for email, Internet browsing word processing.

yeah, hard to upgrade something that old, esp a dell.

Take a look at your upgrade budget and see if a new build might be feasible. Lots of folks here would be willing to help if you have a budget in mind. And you don't really need $1000 to build a new machine. Can make a decent machine for around 600US

rakoth

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
I would suggest searching the Dell forums for your PSU upgrade question and posting your question there if you can't find anything. I got a lot of useful info from the site when I was making upgrades to my old Dell.

Like the other posters, I would encourage you to think about a new build if it's in your budget.

That is a very good deal.
One thing about PCP&C Dell power supplies though, the compatibility they speak of basically comes down to not having a switch, something that doesn't need to be worried about by the OP, because the open back design of his computer will allow almost any standard ATX power supply to be used.

foolycooly

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
I have a gx620 also and upgraded my video card and RAM. I got an MSI Radeon HD 4670 on newegg and am very satisfied with its performance...given, i'm going to build a new system in a week or so.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127383

The 4670 is perfect because it doesn't need additional power connections. It allowed me to play prince of persia on medium to high settings on a 19" LCD. Maxed out bioshock as well at 80+ fps.

TRENDING THREADS