Disappointed in the corsair h50

Tags:
  • Heatsinks
  • Corsair
  • Overclocking
  • Product
Last response: in Overclocking
August 22, 2010 11:54:39 AM

I picked up a corsair H50 after reading some positive reviews but I'm profoundly disappointed. I'm only saving a few degrees difference. My Core i7-930, using a P6T mobo inside a Antec 300 case was running in the mid to high 40s with the stock cpu cooler. The H50 is running in the low to mid 40s. (non overclocked at 2.8 GHz)

Is that normal?
Is there something I'm over looking. I made sure the fan was blowing into the radiator as per the directions, there's really not much more to look at or monkey with

I had some trouble getting it installed but was careful in placing it on the cpu and tightening the screws. Given that I spend 80 bucks and the Noctua NH-D14 is about the same price, I ordered that.

What kind of temps should I expect with the Noctura?

More about : disappointed corsair h50

August 22, 2010 2:51:58 PM

I added a second fan, so the radiator is now sandwiched between two fans, and the configuration is such that the air is being pushed out the rear of the case as it should. Corsair wanted to pull air in from the rear.

Anyways I'm running 45c at 3.25Ghz (no load) a little better but I think I can do better with the Noctua NH-D14 - any thoughts about keep trying to squeeze a few degrees out here and there with the H5 or wait until the D14 is delivered and go with that?

I'm still entertaining feedback/suggestions.

Tonight, I may replace the supplied thermal pad with AS5 which may give me a bit more performance and shave another degree or two off the H5.
m
l
August 22, 2010 3:04:24 PM

hmmmmm i'm thinking you didn't put on the thermal compound correctly
by the way, i wouldn't get the AS5 it was good before but now i'd recommend the arctic cooling MX-3
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
August 22, 2010 3:07:15 PM

Idle temps really don't mean much, especially without knowing the ambient temps.
Load temps are what you should be concerned with, can you compare what they were with the stock cooler to what you get with the H50 ?

The H50 should be set up to draw cool air into the system, but you already knew that;
Corsair wanted to pull air in from the rear said:
Corsair wanted to pull air in from the rear

Replacing the Shin-Etsu with AS5 probably won't make much difference at all, it's actually quite good.
m
l
August 22, 2010 8:39:40 PM

dhongkool1 said:
hmmmmm i'm thinking you didn't put on the thermal compound correctly
by the way, i wouldn't get the AS5 it was good before but now i'd recommend the arctic cooling MX-3

The issue is that I didn't put it on, being a pre-applied thermal compound

The reason I was thinking of re-applying it, because I had trouble putting the cooler on, I'm wondering in my struggles, I introduced a void as I had trouble twisting it on and locking it in

Edit:
I think I found some of the causes. When I removed the cooler from the CPU, I noticed two things, first one of the retaining screws was stripped. Either the metal post that fit in the plastic retaining clip stripped, or the threads themselves. So it was not pressing down. The second issue, perhaps related to it, was I noticed an uneven area of thermal grease. An area with it seems to heave some spots devoid of thermal paste.

Cleaning it up and reapplying AS5, along with creating a temporary fix to the stripped screw (a kind of splint pressing down on the housing, keeping the cooler firmly on the cpu.

I'm now realizing a no load (cpu OC'd to 3.25Ghz) temp of 39-40c. The big question is to return the cooler, in light of the defective screw ( I didn't over tighten and in fact tightened each one the same amount), repair with a new backplate/screws or wait delivery of the noctura heat sync and return this one.

I appreciate the help that has been given, but if someone can provide some thoughts on whether I'll be better off with repairing or using the noctura cooler, I'd be most appreciative.

Mike
m
l

Best solution

a c 480 K Overclocking
August 23, 2010 2:06:54 PM

You should at least get a replacement...or just return it for something else. Almost every review i've ever read about that cooler is that it really doesn't perform any better than good air coolers out there. I wouldn't trust it on anything I owned, and to be honest, if I had a budget of under $200 to cool a CPU, i'd stick only to premium air coolers.

http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm
August 23, 2010 5:37:04 PM

Thanks, That's kind of my thinking as well. A simpler design, the NH-D14 only has a fan to worry about. The H50 has a pump and water seal to consider. If I wanted to go to a water cooled solution, I'd probably better off going full bore and not some solution for 80 bucks.

I'll wait till I get the NH-D14 delivered which should be late this week/early next.
m
l
August 23, 2010 5:37:36 PM

Best answer selected by maflynn.
m
l
August 23, 2010 5:52:28 PM

delluser1 said:
Idle temps really don't mean much, especially without knowing the ambient temps.
Load temps are what you should be concerned with, can you compare what they were with the stock cooler to what you get with the H50 ?

Running Prime95 with the stock cooler produced temps in the upper 70s approaching 80c (I shut it down once it hit 79c)
Running Prime95 with the H50 produced temps in the upper 70s approaching 80c (I shut it down once it hit 79c)
Running Prime95 after reseatting the unit (and reapplying the thermal grease) 64c

As I mentioned, it wasn't until after I looked to replace the thermal paste did I notice that one of the screws wasn't holding down the bracket keeping a uniformed pressure on the cooler.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 23, 2010 7:33:16 PM

We will replace the screws for you if you'd like to try remounting. Just put into the narrative what you need. You can also link this thread.

http://www.corsair.com/helpdesk/

We are sorry that you had this issue and we'll do our best to help get you sorted.
m
l
August 23, 2010 9:26:57 PM

Thanks I did that first thing this morning. I'm still waiting to hear back. My case number is 1621159
m
l