First Build Connector Confusion

mikenh

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
I have a Gigagbyte GA-EP45-UD3P mobo which calls for two power connections, ATX 12V 2x4 and ATX 2x12. From the power supply I've got a 2x10 connector and a 2x2 connector (black,red,yellow,orange) and a 2x3 connector (3 yellow, 3 black). The PSU is the 500W unit in the Sigma Phantom case.

Am I shopping for an adapter, or is there a secret handshake?

db140

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
what is the brand and model of the psu because something that you have to pay attention to when ur buying a psu is what connectors it has

and also check to see if the 2x2 can connect to the 2x10 because i know some have it to where they can disconnect to fit certain connectors

Yes, some manufacturers (more often these days) instead of making a 24 pin atx power connector they will split it into a 20 pin connector and a 4 pin connector. Usually you will see some matching grooves on the side of the four pin and the 20 pin that allow the 4pin to slide along the 20 pin atx connector, then you plug the complete unit into the atx connector on your mobo.

Don't know about that motherboard but typically there is a 4 pin 12v connector that also must be plugged into the board.

hope that helps

The 20+4 pin is the main power, they but up next to each other to fit in the 24 pin spot on the board. They can only fit one way, so you can't get it wrong. Usually there is an arrow on the 4 pin part which should point toward the 20 pin. The 2x2 pin you have goes in the 8 pin port on the board by the cpu near the backplate. It can also only fit one way.

Merman

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2004

If your connector descriptions are correct you have an old style PSU. This article with its images will help you.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/181/3

And if you do have an old style PSU you should make sure you have the power needed and if you need a new PSU. The old PSU designs give more power on the minor 5 and 3.3 volt rails than the 12 volt rail. Modern PSU give most of the power generated on the 12 volt rail.

The GA-EP45-UD3P mobo comes with a plug or cover on the ATX 12V 2x4 connector so a 2X2 connector can be used. It says so in your manual on page 23.

The ATX_12V_2X4 power connector is compatible with power supplies with 2x2 12V power
connector. When using a power supply providing a 2x4 12V and power connector, remove the
protective covers from the 12V power connector and the main power connector on the motherboard.
Do not insert the power supply cables into pins under the protective covers when using a power
supply providing a 2x2 12V power connector.

You will need a 20 to 24 pin power adapter for the main power connector if you decide not to buy a modern PSU.
http://www.xoxide.com/20-to-24-pin-adapter.html

Merman

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2004

A 2x3 connector is a PCI-E connector and should not be used for the CPU power connector only for video cards. CPU power connectors are 2x2 per ATX and 2x4 EPS. See the referenced article and images.

mikenh

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009

Thanks you are exactly right.

mikenh

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009

Thanks, I can understand now. I had RTFM many times but it didn't make sense. It felt like high school Spanish where you understand every word, but have no idea what it means.

There was no cover on the 2x4 mobo receiving connection but there was a little note in the mobo manual indicating the position of the 2x2.

Happy Trails.

Merman

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2004

Looks like I was wrong about needing an adapter for the 24 pin connector. I have a GA-P35-DS3L and the manual states that a twenty pin connector can be used with cover that comes with the board. You may figured it out already as the connectors only fit one way.

The main power connector is compatible with power supplies with 2x10 power
connectors. When using a 2x12 power supply, remove the protective cover from the
main power connector on the motherboard. Do not insert the power supply cable into pins
under the protective cover when using a 2x10 power supply.