Sign in with
Your question

I7 920 at 4ghz finally

Last response: in Overclocking
August 22, 2010 7:12:15 PM

I posted here awhile ago about hitting 4ghz with my i7 920 on a Cooler Master Hyper N520 and the verdict seemed to be that the cooler couldn't handle it. So I picked up a Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme when I found a cheap one and it is now running stable and cool at 4ghz. I wanted to hit 4ghz mainly just to say I did, haven't really needed a performance boost beyond what I got at stock speeds for what I use it for. I'm quite happy with this so this isn't really a problem, but i do find one thing curious. I only had to up the voltage to 1.20v. This seems to be a bit lower than what most people report in the 1.25-1.30 range. But it still peaks at around 80 degrees C which seems fairly high. I feel like if I was able to keep the voltage so low the temps should also stay fairly low. Again, not really a problem but if anyone has seen this before or would like to weigh in on it I'd appreciate it.

Heres the cpu-z dump: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1357614

More about : 920 4ghz finally

a b K Overclocking
August 22, 2010 8:14:49 PM

Good work.
m
l
August 22, 2010 8:31:46 PM

80C is to hot for my blood. Not impressed.
m
l
Related resources
August 25, 2010 3:41:09 AM

I realize 80C is pretty hot. Thats kind of why I'm asking this. Why is it so high if the voltage is low? I can't figure out why it would be so much higher than others who use this cooler. Tavern, from everything I've read the thermal cutoff for the i7 920 is 100C, not 75. Certainly don't want to get anywhere near that.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 25, 2010 7:43:53 AM

Quote:
an i7 should shut off after 75c. 80c is gunna fry your processor ....

Lol, yeah no.

75C is completely acceptable at full load, and 80C is by no means dangerous, but is warm for sure.

Make sure you have seated the cooler well and that you have enough exhaust in your case, that cooler should perform wonderfully.
m
l
August 25, 2010 6:40:24 PM

sshake1 said:
I posted here awhile ago about hitting 4ghz with my i7 920 on a Cooler Master Hyper N520 and the verdict seemed to be that the cooler couldn't handle it. So I picked up a Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme when I found a cheap one and it is now running stable and cool at 4ghz. I wanted to hit 4ghz mainly just to say I did, haven't really needed a performance boost beyond what I got at stock speeds for what I use it for. I'm quite happy with this so this isn't really a problem, but i do find one thing curious. I only had to up the voltage to 1.20v. This seems to be a bit lower than what most people report in the 1.25-1.30 range. But it still peaks at around 80 degrees C which seems fairly high. I feel like if I was able to keep the voltage so low the temps should also stay fairly low. Again, not really a problem but if anyone has seen this before or would like to weigh in on it I'd appreciate it.

Heres the cpu-z dump: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1357614

That's great news congrats :)  i also posted here a long time ago and couldn't work out why my cpu would never get passed the 3.8Ghz mark! All i needed was better ram to push the limits...
m
l
!