Sign in with
Your question

Clocking my memory to spec (HELP)

Last response: in Overclocking
August 22, 2010 8:53:09 PM

I have a Gigabyte X58A-UD3R MOBO and OCZ ram rated for 1333mhz http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=2...

When I start up my computer I realize that it says my memory is running at 1066. How do I go about clocking my memory to spec?

More about : clocking memory spec

Related resources
a b K Overclocking
August 22, 2010 11:26:38 PM

You cant, simple as that.
m
l
August 23, 2010 1:08:04 AM

I can't run my ram at spec? Your saying it has to run lower than what its rated?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 23, 2010 12:53:27 PM

therer should be a setting to change the memory multiplier just set it one above what it is at.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 23, 2010 3:43:02 PM

^lol, that would change his processor speed to or as called Overclocking. haha
m
l
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
August 23, 2010 7:03:06 PM

Look for XMP profile under your ram settings in the Bios, it will automatically set your ram to the manufacturers spec's.
m
l
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
August 23, 2010 8:27:03 PM

1333 mhz is the stock DDR3 RAM speed for i7 processors. That should be the lowest speed you see when just plugging in some new RAM. Getting 1066 mhz says that something is wrong.

If the XMP profile doesn't get you up to speed (set it to "enabled" and "auto"), then I would assume there is some other problem with your bios settings. I would reset the bios to the "default" or "optimal" settings.
m
l
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
August 23, 2010 8:48:55 PM

AFAIK 1066Mhz is the default speed, this is done on purpose to make sure the board can boot properly.

The default memory multiplier for the i7 930 is 8x (if i remember correctly) (2:8 FSB : DRAM ratio), so w/ a default BCLK of 133MHz the resulting DRAM frequency is 1066MHz. So in order to run the RAM at a higher frequency without changing the BCLK, the DRAM multiplier needs to be manually increased from the default of 8x to 10x or 12x for example. A 10x or 12x multiplier results in either a 1333MHz or 1600MHz effective DRAM frequency (considered to be OC'd) at a 133MHz BCLK. In the Chipset Settings menu of that board, you just need to select a particular DRAM frequency from the list of available options. If the 14x (2:14 ratio) option is available, then the resulting DRAM frequency would be 1866MHz. Otherwise in order to reach that frequency at a lower multiplier, the BCLK would need to be increased from the default.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 23, 2010 9:02:41 PM

Fetal said:

No, lol @ you.... Changing the memory multiplier would not change CPU frequency.

Like OvrClkr said, just increase your memory multiplier to 10x. 133 BLCK * 10 would run it at spec.
m
l
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
August 23, 2010 9:13:05 PM

simon12 said:
therer should be a setting to change the memory multiplier just set it one above what it is at.

Fetal said:

The Memory Multiplier changes the ratio between the Base Clock (bclk) and the memory modules; and has exactly Zero effect on the processor. As already advised, this is the adjustment the OP needs to make to get his RAM running at it's rated speed. The OP would also be well served to ensure his RAM is also set to the proper timings and is receiving it's rated voltage.

For the OP: To my knowledge, OvrClkr's post is accurate: The Memory Multiplier setting you should use is 10. There is also a setting for the "Uncore" which ideally will be exactly 2 times the memory divider: so 20, in this case. You'll also probably see a setting for the QPI buss - leave it alone.

Here is a very detailed explanation of which adjustments do what Available on the ASUS Forums. This one is about the best I've found.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 23, 2010 9:33:28 PM

my bad, but i had no knowledge about it.

To my knowledge if you increase multiplier, the processor speed and ram speed both will increase unless you decrease ram speed and up the multiplier.

or as my board has the option of ram speeds as 'only' 667 and 800. May be his board has manual settings to get what he wants. ?
m
l
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
August 23, 2010 9:40:42 PM

Where you are making your mistake is in presuming there is only one multiplier. What you are talking about is (on an i7 system) the Base Clock (bclk).
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 23, 2010 9:51:19 PM

so changing the base clock wont change the processor speed? only ram?

(i saw the oc'ing of i7 by dumone of NCIX Tech few weeks ago, so i know the bclk)

here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwbzQblRQ7I
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 23, 2010 11:30:39 PM

Changing the BCLK will increase your CPU and RAM frequency, but there is a multiplier for both. So, increasing only the memory mult. won't change his CPU clock.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 23, 2010 11:47:23 PM

so you mean that there's base clock multiplier, then ram and proc multiplier?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 23, 2010 11:50:15 PM

yep
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 24, 2010 12:08:03 AM

That is what i was trying to say lmao. if you just change the base clock to increase ram speed, you will increase proc speed too. yeah you have to lower the proc multiplier and increase ram multiplier to achieve what you want.

That said, EIST will work the same?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 24, 2010 12:12:10 AM

No, he doesn't need to lower the CPU Multiplier, that would lower his clock speed.... JUST increasing the Memory Multiplier to 10x will solve the issue...

What about EIST?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 24, 2010 1:15:00 AM

EIST= Turbo. well it will work of course as no tinkering would be done with CPU multiplier.

HEH HEH HEH :D . Thanks for Knowledge upon Knowledge well at least Clarified my knowledge.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 24, 2010 1:15:16 AM

d.post. :pfff: 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 24, 2010 5:34:08 AM

Fetal said:
EIST= Turbo. well it will work of course as no tinkering would be done with CPU multiplier.

HEH HEH HEH :D . Thanks for Knowledge upon Knowledge well at least Clarified my knowledge.

Hahaha... yeah. And I wasn't asking what EIST is, I was asking why you mentioned it. One more correction... EIST is not Turbo, it is Speed Step. =]

It allows the CPU to adjust its own speed and voltages in order to conserve power.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 24, 2010 6:11:51 AM

lmao i know what eist is... now you are just being over clever.
m
l
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
August 24, 2010 1:01:02 PM

Fetal said:

Fetal said:
That is what i was trying to say lmao. if you just change the base clock to increase ram speed, you will increase proc speed too. yeah you have to lower the proc multiplier and increase ram multiplier to achieve what you want.

That said, EIST will work the same?

EIST =/= Turbo

What we were telling the OP is to use the Memory Multiplier to adjust his RAM speed. This is separate from the Base Clock.

The problem is that you have it stuck in your head that the bclk is the "only" multiplier.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 24, 2010 4:00:01 PM

^ Its over, read :/ .
m
l
a b } Memory
September 7, 2010 11:01:31 PM

In my gigabyte EX58 board bios, I had to increase the system memory multiplier. The voltages were already at the specs. My Kingston value ram 1333 memory defaults at 1066 like yours. Can't get much more than 1333 with the value ram. I left the latency and other specs at auto because they were better than the rated specs.
m
l
!