jessegibson

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
I am posting here because I have always gotten the best advice in these threads.

I have recently cut most of my Cable because of Streaming sites (WWW.HULU.COM) and Streaming form the Network sites themselves.

I am interested in learning about using my PC to pick up the HD signals floating through the air. If anyone knows where to point me that would be great.

I need to know what type of component I need to research and how to I identify the signals floating in my area (San Diego)

Please help and thanks in advance.

jessegibson

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
Hauppauge it is. Hopefully, you are notreferring to some ISP's who also provide cable that are mad about losing market becasue of the Internet. I am waiting for ISP's to start raising the price because they are losing money on Cable.

jessegibson

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
Is there a website with a breakdown of what is or is not important to pay attention to when deciding on the features of a TV Tuner? I am fine doing the research. I just want to understand the component so i can figure out which ones will best meet my needs? Pro's/Con's etc...

Do you currently have a roof-top antenna installed? You'll want either a roof-top or indoor antenna. The roof-top models work quite a bit better. I currently use two different Hauppauge tuner cards (The HVR-1600 and the HVR-2250) and have been very happy with them. I highly recommend the HVR-2250, it included dual digital tuners so you can pick up HD OTA content. Are you wanting HD or SD content? The tuner in the HVR-2250 can be used for either HD or SD.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=hvr-2250&x=0&y=0

jessegibson

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
It would be HD, so I will make sure to keep my eye open on that. I do not have a rooftop I am allowed to put an Antenna on. I have a little back yard space, but I am not sure if it could get high enough. I can always ask my landlord about being able to install one on the roof.

You mentioned an indoor antenna. Do those work well? How can I research those?