Sign in with
Your question

CM Hyper 212+ Help

Last response: in Overclocking
August 22, 2010 8:59:14 PM

Hey

I just bought the CM Hyper 212+ for my AMD 955 BE. I used Antec Silver Thermal Compound. My idle temp is 35C and my temp while playing GTA 4 or Just Cause 2 is around 52C. I know those temps aren't that bad but they are also the same temps I got with my stock HSF. Altough, the stock HSF was running at about 4500RPM while the Hyper 212+ is only at about 2000RPM.

So my question is, is there like a break-in period for the Hyper 212+ or thermal compound? Or should I have seen lower temps immediately?

SPECS:
AMD P2 X4 955 BE
4GB G.Skill DDR3 RAM
XFX ATI HD5870 1GB
MSI 790X AM3 Motherboard
Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU
Samsung F3 Spinpoint 1TB HDD
Antec 300 Illusion Case
CM Hyper 212+ CPU Cooler

Thanks a bunch!
~Firenze

More about : hyper 212

a b K Overclocking
August 22, 2010 9:24:42 PM

If you got a 35c idle temp with your stock cooler then I assume that you are running some sort of A/C or you live in a cold area. As far as your LOAD temps go, it might be your case airflow or the cooler needs to be re-pasted/re-seated.

I think you meant Artic Silver 5, which will take a few weeks to cure and should yield better results as time goes by.
m
l
August 22, 2010 9:45:36 PM

Thanks for the reply.

This may sound/be kind of stupid but, the CPU fan is facing one of my case fans and there is like 1.5" between them. Is this bad or ineffective in any way?

m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
August 22, 2010 10:17:38 PM

is your cooler positioned this way?

m
l
August 22, 2010 10:44:09 PM

For me, the CPU fan is on the other side of the heatsink. Should I switch it? I put it on the other side because I didn't want it getting in the way of my RAM.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 22, 2010 10:51:37 PM

yes, you have the fan pointing the wrong way, you need that warm air from the sink to go from left to right and out the rear exhaust OR you can position the sink to where the fan is on the bottom pushing the warm air out the top exhaust :

m
l
August 22, 2010 11:06:34 PM

Oh ok. Thanks!!
m
l
a c 225 K Overclocking
August 23, 2010 2:34:05 AM

firenze123 said:
For me, the CPU fan is on the other side of the heatsink. Should I switch it? I put it on the other side because I didn't want it getting in the way of my RAM.

A backside mounting of the fan is no problem as long as the fan was also reversed so its airflow is pulling air through the heat sink and your rear exhaust fan is exhausting case air, that way the 2 fans in close proximity will be helping each other.

You can also remount the rear exhaust fan on the outside of the case with a fan grill on the outside, it eliminates turbulence created around a fan mounted inside of the case.

Then you can add an accelerator fan in front of your memory using a stand alone fan mounting bracket like those Zalman makes, giving you a very effective push/pull cooling setup, which actually adds your memory directly to the cooling solution.

m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 23, 2010 3:21:40 AM

you have several options to choose from, as long as you do not cause any turbulence by reversing the fans you should be fine. The Antec 300 has good overall airflow, make sure you work on your cable management and tuck away as many cables as you can.

@ Ryan, I see you rockin that Crosshair II

My ol Asrock 780a is similar to yours :

m
l
a c 225 K Overclocking
August 23, 2010 3:38:04 AM

@ OvrClkr The wife inherited the Crosshair II, you may as well say it's been put out to pasture for what she does with it, it's presently not even OCd at all, but that's life in the fast paced technology game isn't it my friend.
m
l
!