Help with overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

kreepa

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
these are my current specs....

Windows 7 ultimate 32-bit(6.1,Build 7600)
Pentium dual-core E5300 @ 2.6ghz w/ arcitc cooling freezer pro 7 rev.2
4Gb ddr2
GTX 460 768mb
P5QPL-AM motherboard
XFX-650w XXX edition
hp w1707 17inch 1440x900 resolution
500Gb WD HD
NZXT M59 - 001BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

i would like to overlclock my comp to at least 3ghz if possible...i have never overclocked before and am somewhat new to the bios screen etc... if someone could link me to a guide or help me with this that would be much appreciated....

Fetal

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
go into bios. Jumper free settings. Overclock profile AUTO, then either select 5, 10, 15 or 20%. 30% would be hard. go till 20% and SEE if its stable, otherwise get better cooling.

The links I provided are so you can learn what you're doing, by self education into overclocking, use the information however you want, those settings may or may not work for you, the rest of your hardware comes into play with everything you do OCing a raised FSB situation.

I suggest you read and study up on what you're contemplating before you do it, you can review other success's in the second link, but if you want to just apply their settings to your hardware, Good Luck to you!

kreepa

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
ok cool i guess ill give the auto thing a try first and then ill use your first link to help me do it manually if i dont like the auto thing...lot of readin to do...thanks man

kreepa, I would suggest actually reading the guide, very informative. If you are just looking to get to 3 GHz and dont really care, then go ahead and auto clock it. However, you can reach a far more stable and far more maxmized clock if you follow the guide. To me, just understanding why the thing works like that would be most beneficial as you (I) could do it again in the future. The key is stability not speed, Like fetal said, cooling would be preferable. However, it is not always needed, it just depends on the performance you would like to achieve.

Good luck and seriously read the guide, you might find it interesting. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.