Sign in with
Your question

Oldskool APP/CrossFire Tech.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 7, 2009 4:45:39 PM

In 2006, ATI announced Asymmetric Physics Processing capabilities in CrossFire Technology, so what happened to that technology? Are modern 3xxx, 4xxx series video cards powerful enough that the oldskool APP technology is now obsolete?

I plan on buying a 4870 x2 next week for a system I am currently building, and I wonder if slapping in an old x1000-series video card dedicated solely to physics processing would yield any interesting performance gains or at least make for an interesting research project.

As I recall, one of the key bonuses of the technology was that it made it possible for a much older video card to continue being used after an upgrade by changing its role through CrossFire to purely physics processing.

This topic is really fascinating imo, so if anyone knows anything at all about what happened to the technology and if it could still be utilized, PLZ post!

[I plan on writing up this project for tomshardware depending on how this topic goes]
a c 190 U Graphics card
March 7, 2009 5:06:50 PM

To date ATI does n`t use that type of tech although they are working on using it to hardware acellerate the Havok physics system as far as I know.
Nvidia do do this through Physx which enables Nvidia cards to work in exactly the way you describe or for a single card to both render graphics and acellerate physics with the expeted performance hit.
March 7, 2009 5:24:08 PM

Hmm. I've heard about the PhysX features of Nvidia but I didn't realize they were effectively applying them in their cards. Interesting.
March 8, 2009 10:57:04 PM

I really hate double-posting but there is more to consider here. I came across an article that reveals how Havok will not be supporting GPU acceleration technology, buuut at the same time, it seems that physics rendering may be rerouted in the near future. Possibly directX physics rendering? There are a few possibilities here, verrrrry interesting. Anybody hear about this?

[Just a side note. Nvidia bought out Ageia and seperate PhysX rendering tech and Intel bought Havok, the most popular physics engine used in games. Corporate scheming at its dirtiest?]
March 8, 2009 11:24:34 PM

And why would buying these companies be "corporate scheming at its dirtiest"?

It sounds like smart business to me. Companies acquire other companies that have what they need all the time. Where have you been?
!