Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How should I cool my phenom II X4 air or water

Last response: in Overclocking
August 23, 2010 12:03:57 AM

I'm wanting to OC my phenom II X4 955 to around 4ghz. The question is should I get a high end air cooler or a low end water cooler. My budget is around $100-150. Thanks guys

More about : cool phenom air water

August 23, 2010 12:24:47 AM

Air Cooler, and you can get good high end ones (like that bigger noctua or a thermaltake Frio) for around $70 or so, though they can be had for less as well. Watercooling is a hassle and not worth it unless you are doing some more extreme things and then you need to spend a lot more money. Its just not worth it for an everyday, modest OC type of machine.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 23, 2010 11:15:12 AM

You don't even need to spend that much :p  To be honest i hit 3.9 by switching my thermal paste from AS5 to IC7 (FREE!!! :D ) And i had a 40$ cooler (the V8). The best cooler is the Hyper 212+ for cheap price only 25$ on Amazon. Stick two high performance fans on it and let it rip. It'll run you cheaper than a frio or a Noctua since even two 20$ fans on the Hyper 212+ will still be 65$. Or you could stick with the stock fan and just spend 25$. http://www.guru3d.com/article/cooler-master-hyper-212-p...

As you can see it compares with 70$ heatsinks for only 25$. Also, once in dual fan it'll perform even better. Plus the saved money can go towards a graphics card upgrade or (if it comes out) the Zosma a Phenom II X4 with two dormant cores that are possible to unlock.
m
l
Related resources
a c 330 K Overclocking
August 23, 2010 2:09:35 PM

Stick to air unless you have a budget of at least $200-$250. Stay away from anything under that price range and anything that has the following in it:

Thermaltake Bigwater
Zalman Reserator
Koolance
Coolit
Corsair H50
**anything with a pretty box and contains more than 1 watercooling block or pump**
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 23, 2010 5:52:35 PM

Tillman32 said:
I'm wanting to OC my phenom II X4 955 to around 4ghz. The question is should I get a high end air cooler or a low end water cooler. My budget is around $100-150. Thanks guys

If your room temp hovers round 76F or less you should be able to hit 4Ghz on Air with a decent cooler but also take into consideration that 4Ghz (stable) is not guaranteed with the 955. I have seen users top out at 3.8/3.9Ghz with a top-end air cooler. Some do a tad under 4Ghz and some do 4.0/4.1/4.2Ghz tops so it’s basically luck of the draw.
m
l
August 23, 2010 6:18:46 PM

Thanks for all the tips guys. My room temp is around 62 degrees, cause i'm in an unfinished basement. It only gets colder as the winter comes. I can see my breath down here sometimes. :D  I won't be needing a GPU upgrade anytime soon, I have a 5870. But I've heard good reviews on two coolers that aren't that expensive.

Dark Knight
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And they 212 ( Mentioned above )
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Ive heard good reviews from both and I was really leaning twards the dark knight for a while there, but I decided to post here to double check.
m
l

Best solution

a c 330 K Overclocking
August 23, 2010 6:58:49 PM

With temps that cool, you shouldn't have ambient temps be holding you back. A good air cooler would work fine for you as long as your case airflow is decent. Your main concerns will be voltage and stability once you start pushing OC's on it.
August 24, 2010 6:41:19 PM

Best answer selected by tillman32.
m
l
!