Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Long time booting up

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
December 12, 2009 2:30:16 PM

I'm having problem with Windows 7 on my laptop.

I had beta version up to recently because I didn't use it much, but few days ago I decided to install retail version which I also have on my PC, so I know that dvd works.
It's 64bit(beta version was too) and my laptop can handle it. MSI Gx620.
Now problem is, when I install it all goes well, but then it gets to Loading Windows screen, with 4 part logo that flashes and just stands there, for like 20 minutes. And then boots up and all is fine!
In beta version I didn't have that problem.
I tried booting up in safe mode and it was stuck again for long time on this thing: CLASSPNP.SYS

I did full format and fresh install every time. I tested 2 Vista's I had, 1 worked fine, the other one had same problem.

I tried repair and it was doing it for very very long time and finnaly said that it cant be done automatic and check online with this in details:

Problem signature:
Problem Event name : StartupRepairOffline
Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 03: unknown
Problem Signature 04: 0
Problem Signature 05: AutoFailover
Problem Signature 06: 1
Problem Signature 07: NoRootCause
POS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

At event viewer it says like 4.20 windows start up, 4:30 starts loading some applications. and 10 min gap between it.

I am going to try to update bios with newest version from site as soon as I manage to boot from USB, for some reason it won't boot up(says missing ntldr) and will post if that fixes it.

Please tell me what to do or try, maybe if it hardware fault I can send it back to service to get it fixed but first gotta find out whats the problem.
Help :( 

More about : long time booting

a c 215 $ Windows 7
December 12, 2009 4:58:33 PM

If it's sitting at the Windows splash screen for a long time, it's usually 1 of 3 things.

1. Some installed application is slowing it down to a crawl.
2. You have a hard drive problem.
3. You have a RAM problem.

For 2 and 3, download and burn the Ultimate Boot CD (www.ultimatebootcd.com) and run MemTest86+ for the ram, and any of the various hard drive diagnostic tools.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
December 12, 2009 5:28:42 PM

If the above-mentioned options show that everything is alright, a good idea is to type in "msconfig" in the search box and hit enter. When the box pops up, go to the boot tab, then go to advanced options. If you have a dual core system, check the number of processors box and select two from the drop down menu. This way windows will use all of the processors available during boot up, which in turn should shorten your boot up time.
Score
Related resources
December 12, 2009 9:24:23 PM

Hi, thanks for replies.

I'm going to call place I bought it from on Monday and see if I can get it tested there, since not being able to install couple of (tested) OSs is covered under warranty.
But in meantime I'll keep trying.

How long do I have to run memtest for? Leave it over night or something like that?
I tested it with windows tool for memory testing and it was fine.
Also downloaded WD lifeguard but couldn't get it to work on 64bit.

I'll try msconfig thing now and see what happens.
Score
December 12, 2009 11:26:41 PM

Running memtest for 10 complete passes should give you a good idea - it will catch most issues in that time. But best to run overnight - or about 8 hours to be safe. I have not read of anyone catching something after the first 10 passes - but I read the recommendation so I follow it. I did have memory issues on a build that did not show up until the 6th pass - and then should up repeatedly after that. Remember stability means absolutely no errors - even when running for 8 hours.

You might also check and see what is loading at startup and de-select any you know you don't need - but be careful and don't select something just because you don't know what it is - as there are many system processes with non-descript names that need to run. You might also use the free system check at PCPitStop which lists all the items that load and indicates which are required and which are optional. YOu might have to google some of the names to find out what they really are.

http://www.pcpitstop.com/

Also you don't have any USB devices connected do you? They are known to be problematical.

I just googled CLASSPNP.SYS and see a lot of hits about issues. Have you already checked any of those?

Regarding the 10 minute gap you listed - at least you don't have the notorius 18 minute gap. If you are too young to know what that is I refer you to the font of all knowledge:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watergate_tapes
Score
December 12, 2009 11:54:31 PM

I agree it is probably a hard disc or external device issue. Unplug EVERYTHING that is plugged into your computer...wireless devices, usb devices, lan cables, ect. Just boot with the raw PC and see if you improve the boot time. In my experience this is almost always caused by external devices.
Score
December 13, 2009 2:57:11 PM

belial2k said:
I agree it is probably a hard disc or external device issue. Unplug EVERYTHING that is plugged into your computer...wireless devices, usb devices, lan cables, ect. Just boot with the raw PC and see if you improve the boot time. In my experience this is almost always caused by external devices.

I Concur almost always has been a USB issue.
Score
December 13, 2009 4:39:17 PM

It's laptop, got no stuff plugged in and I tried with USB slots turned off in BIOS, didn't help.
I also updated my bios last night and didn't help at all.
Calling service tomorrow and gonna see if they will fix it.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
December 13, 2009 6:19:56 PM

If you try one simple thing :na:  then you will know if its Hardware or software related.

Type Msconfig in the search box and run it.

Select Diagnostic Startup

Click ok and Restart.

If Windows started the usual slow way, then most likely you have a faulty hardware

Else

If windows started without delay, that means a third-party program/drivers is causing this. Comeback here to confirm this is the case and we will show how to find the cause.
Score
December 13, 2009 7:28:00 PM

It's official then, hardware fault.
Put it at diagnostic startup and got stuck at Starting Windows again.
Will update what happens with shop tomorrow.
They'll probably accept to fix it, I'm pretty persuasive ;) 
Score
December 13, 2009 8:09:43 PM

But why would it be just a hardware issue if your laptop worked up until you loaded the retail version of Windows 7?

If not an application conflict, isn't a driver issue more likely? Are you sure you loaded all the correct Win 7 drivers for you laptop?

Are you sure they are likely to fix it is the problem occurred after, and might be related to you loading, an operating system that apparently was not on the PC when you purchased it? Did it even have Win 7 Beta on it when you purchased it?
Score
a b $ Windows 7
December 13, 2009 8:37:05 PM

You got a good point there Rocky, he might have not installed Windows 7 correctly.

Did you delete the old partitions , when installed windows?

Score
December 13, 2009 8:49:41 PM

It came with no OS.
I deleted, formatted and did it all correctly, not my first time really, it not that hard to do clean install.

And thing is it's not just Win7 that doesn't work, Vista too. Both 32 bit and 64 bit, I have no freaking idea what could be causing this and how to fix it, don't know what to do or try so might as well get them to test it out if I can.

Basically I can't install OS which is recommended by laptop manufacturer and works on other PCs.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
December 13, 2009 9:11:39 PM

Is great to hear that you know how to install Windows. ;) 

It looks like hardware malfunctions, they should repair it for you. If for what ever reason they didnt fix it for you, then come back we try to help diagnose the hardwares.

Score
a b $ Windows 7
December 13, 2009 9:43:39 PM

lol MSI - what do you expect

do you have a sd/memory card installed into a card reader slot?
Score
December 13, 2009 10:49:02 PM

Nothing wrong with MSI :p 
got nothing in card reader slot. Will post in the morning what happens next, almost 2am here, good night ;) 
Score
December 14, 2009 8:59:56 PM

So I talked to guys and they told me to do some diagnostics which I did.
I got bunch of HDD errors and tried fixing some but couldn't make it and same thing happened so tomorrow I'm taking it in for repair.
And since holidays are coming up it might be a while until its done but I'll hope it happens this year.
Thanks for trying to help guys, will post what happens next, when I get it back or when they inform me. Cheers ;) 
Score
December 18, 2009 2:29:03 PM

Got it back from service(charged me 10 euros, boo).
They said problem is with drivers which are being preinstalled with 64bit version of Vista/7 and that something's messed up, so only thing I can do until MSI fixes it is to use 32 version.
I find this strange because beta of 7 worked fine.

So what do you think guys, are they right? Or should I try fixing it somehow?
Sent mail to MSI to see if its true and when it will be fixed...
Score
December 18, 2009 6:21:59 PM

I am not surprised it is a driver issue as I mentioned above, however it sounds very strange that it is a driver issue that can't be fixed in that that it worked with the beta but not the release version. However, I suggest first checking the MIS website to ensure you have the latest BIOS. Then checking their forum to see if others are reporting a similar problem. Finally you might call MSI customer service and see what they have to say.

I did not know they sold laptops without an OS, except perhaps to businesses with a direct OS license. Is it an MSI laptop or just mobo? Did it come with any kind or warranty as being Windows 7 ready? From MSI or the vendor?

You might also ask who has to warranty. Since no OS came with it I am not sure. If you purchased it individually then MSI would. If you purchased as part of a system with OS then clearly the manufacturer selling that would. If you can't get the issue resolved quickly, and still get the same story from the manufacturer, I would ask for a refund, or a replacement board of equal of better quality that works.
Score
December 24, 2009 8:11:47 PM

Dear Stefan,

Thank you for appreciating our laptop first!
Because we didn't sell the 64bit OS on GX620, and we didn't test on it, then we cannot guarantee the stability about it.
And about 64bit drivers, because we don't test it, we cannot guarantee it. But some drivers are used for both Windows7 32bit and 64bit OS, you may have a try. We don't guarantee that all they can be installed successfully and work fine.

Please feel free to contact me, if you have any question.

Best wishes,
MSI NB Technical Application Department

Answer from MSI, so yeah, they are saying like since we didn't put it we don't know? meh
Score
December 24, 2009 10:36:18 PM

Laptop compatibility issues are a lot differenct then on a PC. Since more parts are custom to manufacturers, a user has to rely on the manufacturer to provide compatible drivers. But obviously too the vendor can't be liable for all future software changes - so their responsiblity is actually limited to whatever OS they say will work on it - although they later maybe commit to or be able to provide drivers for other futuer OS changes.

I return to the question I asked a week ago - when you purchased the laptop, what OS(s) did they say would work on it?

Score
December 25, 2009 2:44:14 AM

They didn't say anything about OS.
No OS came and I bought it at store, not directly from MSI.
Score
December 25, 2009 3:24:47 AM

You should have checked on what OS it was capable of running.

I downloaded the manual and it says nothing about OS specs or compatibility which is very strange, and the only specs only say it runs Windows and nothing about 64 or 32-bit. You might try arguing for a refund from the store - if you are intersted - on the basis that they did not tell you or state anything about the limitation, but I doubt they will give it to you.

If you go to the forum - it is clear that it is 32 bit only. Here is one thread as an example.

http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=128257.0

And here are the threads that I got after searching on "GX620 64-bit"

http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?action=search2

Not all are on topic but it appears 64-bit did generate quite a few issues. You might check some of the others to see if anyone came up with a work-around, but I doubt it.

Sorry, but I think you are stuck with a 32-bit OS.

Score
December 25, 2009 5:00:29 PM

Thanks, will keep checking what happens if it ever becomes available.
But doesn't matter that much really, it's just me being stuck on one thing and seeing in through.
I'm using ubuntu anyway, with win7 being installed just for few games, maybe not even that since I can use Wine :) 
Score
January 8, 2010 6:46:20 AM

rockyjohn said:
Running memtest for 10 complete passes should give you a good idea - it will catch most issues in that time. But best to run overnight - or about 8 hours to be safe. I have not read of anyone catching something after the first 10 passes - but I read the recommendation so I follow it. I did have memory issues on a build that did not show up until the 6th pass - and then should up repeatedly after that. Remember stability means absolutely no errors - even when running for 8 hours.

You might also check and see what is loading at startup and de-select any you know you don't need - but be careful and don't select something just because you don't know what it is - as there are many system processes with non-descript names that need to run. You might also use the free system check at PCPitStop which lists all the items that load and indicates which are required and which are optional. YOu might have to google some of the names to find out what they really are.

http://www.pcpitstop.com/

Also you don't have any USB devices connected do you? They are known to be problematical.

I just googled CLASSPNP.SYS and see a of hits about issues. Have you already checked any of those?

Regarding the 10 minute gap you listed - at least you don't have the notorius 18 minute gap. If you are too young to know what that is I refer you to the font of all knowledge:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watergate_tapes

Thank you John,
I had the same problem and i tried your suggestion to remove all my usb devices. It was like magic and Boot time was back to normal. The culprit was a usb stick I used to speed up windows.
Kyrlou
Score
August 6, 2012 5:19:24 PM

apache_lives said:
lol MSI - what do you expect

do you have a sd/memory card installed into a card reader slot?

Mate, I've been scrathing my head for daaaays cursing my computer and looking at countless forums... it came down to this being the issue!! I had popped an SD card in the other day and completely forgot it was there. all is ship shape again. sometimes the problem is right under your nose huh?! thanks!
Score
a b $ Windows 7
August 8, 2012 11:52:55 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!