Need help with understanding volts and clockspeeds

mattygee

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
Hey guys, im fairly uneducated with the tech side of computers but i am keen as mustard to learn. So im gonna buy an i7, a GA-EX58-UD3R and 6gb DDR3 ram. I was thinking about getting patriot viper 1600mhz (looks nice and just as cheap as corsair 1333mhz) but then as i was reading the specs for all these products i saw that the GA-EX58-UD3R motherboard has "4 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets" but the patriot ram voltage setting is 1.65V.

So does this mean that the ram wont run because it requires more voltage then the Mboard can give it, or what?

Also i dont know how to overclock anything except my video card, but when i look around on the net about ram speeds and latency and what not its almost always in relation to overclocking your cpu, which brings me to my next question, does faster ram only start to really matter when you overclock your cpu? in which case maybe i should be looking at some less expensive (or better quality corsair) 1333mhz ram?

Your help is appreciated.

Your gigabyte board probably has memory voltage adjustments, so you can bump it up if you want to try overclocking. At the first post, you can probably adjust the voltage to 1.65. Read the board manual. Higher rated ram usually has higher voltage requirements. Just understand the ram specs before you purchase. You can also find a list of tested ram for your board on gigabyte's website.