Slow transfer speed between laptops

lizzie77

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Hi, my brother and myself recently bought two toshiba laptops: I got a X305-Q705 Qosmio that comes with an Intel network card. My brother on the other hand, bought an L305D-S5897 with atheros as the network manufacturer, we decided to buy a wireless router for the house we got the netgear WRN 2000 wich is a wireless N router. The problem is that whenever we try to transfer files from one laptop to another, as fast as we can go is at 1.5mb/s, I know that the fact that both shipsets are different (mine is N and his is G, besides of the obvious fact that he´s atheros and I´m Intel) is supossed to reduce speed, but shouldn´t it be at least of 3mb/s?? My cousin has a netgear wireless G router at 54mb/s and he goes way faster than us. I´ve cheked the configuration of both controllers, and they look the same. If you guys could tell me if there´s anything I can do to solve this issue, I´d appreciate your response.

slopez

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
Where is the router in location to both laptops, and just to confirm... we are talking about Mbits/sec?

lizzie77

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
It´s like 10 feet away of both, we use the living room table, both laptops are face to face and the router is in transversal position to both over the desktop table. And yes, the last time we transferred a few files the speed was 1.5 Mbits/sec, there are no other signals around that might interfere with our connection.