Sign in with
Your question

My i7 870 showed me temps which are 85,84,81,80 are they fine?

Last response: in Overclocking
August 23, 2010 8:11:33 AM

hey all
i just bought my new rig it is as follows

Intel i7 870
Gigabyte p55m ud2
kingston 2+2
1 TB seagate
Cooler master 600W PSU
Cooler Master elite 335

and yesterday while i was scanning my pc and also playing a game, after starting the scan i launched CPU-z and reseted high temps of all four cores and i launched Sonic all star racing after 15 minutes of playing the game i minimized the game and saw the temps and i was shocked they were as follows

Core 1 85 c
Core 2 81 c
Core 3 83 c
Core 4 84 c

i also noted them as 75,76,74,69 when i played NFS most wanted a day before this happend

please tell me are they fine? if not then what should i do

thanks

More about : 870 showed temps fine

August 23, 2010 2:08:29 PM

Di your machine crash? If not, then they cant be the right temps, right? overheat failover should have kicked in...

Zip is right though, you should use Coretemp.
August 23, 2010 2:50:37 PM

i am using core temp it was a mistake it was not cpu z and my heatsink is workn d fan is spining wat should i do i want to know how can i make it work normaly
a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
August 23, 2010 3:03:36 PM

Remove the heat sink, clean the TIM off, apply new TIM (like Arctic Silver 5) and re-attach the heat sink. Alternatively, go buy a new heat sink that doesn't use push pins.
August 23, 2010 3:28:19 PM

wat abt cooler master hyper 212 plus
August 23, 2010 3:29:14 PM

wat is tim?
August 23, 2010 4:46:12 PM

i got it it is thermal paste i googled it and found that it is placed between cpu and heatsink but when the assembler was assembling my pc i saw he didnt put any thing between the two

what should i do now
August 23, 2010 4:46:57 PM

nitin_pc said:
wat is tim?

Thermal Interface Materials;

Like he said, Artic Silver 5 or any thermal grease that you have.
August 23, 2010 5:40:36 PM

i didnt got any with any of my components and my assembler also didnt put any paste kind of thing on my cpu and my idle temps are 45,41,46,49
a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
August 23, 2010 6:00:22 PM

Stock CPU cooleres have pre-applied TIM. If there's none you'd be in bigger trouble lol.

Temps are still a bit high tho, my i5 750 with a huge OC (1.1ghz) has lower idle and load temps, with a Zalman CNPS10X Extreme. (38C idle, 71C load)

Hyper 212+ is decent.
a c 120 à CPUs
a c 183 K Overclocking
August 23, 2010 6:24:17 PM

^+1 CM Hyper 212+
My 860 is idling at about 33C and at load mid 50's with a Thermalright MUX-120.
August 23, 2010 7:01:38 PM

@ wolfram what trouble r u talking about? please tell me what should i do now to check the damages if any

and what is the extreme case that i will face

u mean that i got TIM attached to my heatsink? i mean is it permanently attached?
as the assembler didnt put any thing on it and in cpu box i only got cpu, heatsink and manual

as i saw on google that it is a paste or a cream kind of thing and we should spread it on cpu or put a very little quantity taken out of a tube on center of cpu so how can it be fixed on heatsink

is it right?

u said that u have 38 and 71 what is the city temps there?
a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
August 23, 2010 7:40:39 PM

I mean without any TIM at all the temps would probably be even higher and caust CPU damage. Like I said, stock heatsinks come with the TIM pre-applied. If you remove the heat sink tho you'll have to buy new TIM. In that case, use a bit of rubbing alcohol to wipe off all the TIM on the CPU and heat sink then follow some guides on applying the new stuff (basically just a small amount in the middle).

My ambient temps are about 23C or so... hard to say exactly it definitely changes, I live in an appartment with no A/C and no digital thermometer it's just a crappy old style. Luckily I'm in Canada so temps are usually reasonable.
August 23, 2010 8:41:38 PM

here in my city the temps are approx 36 c and what should i do to check whether i have the tim or not
a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
August 23, 2010 9:33:37 PM

Wow! 36C... ok well maybe those temps are normal then hah. That's really hot... yikes. I definitely think you should invest in an aftermarket heat sink, anything you can do to help those temps.

The only thing you can do to check is to remove the heat sink and have a look. It's pretty obvious, TIM is usually a grey gooey substance.
August 24, 2010 4:37:17 PM

i called my assembler and he told me that it is a tape kind of thing that is on heat sink and he told me that he checked it

i dont know whether he is right or not is it really a tape kind of thing on heat sink called tim?

@zip u mean that i should run my pc at 85? and i got this 85 only by one anti virus and one game then how will i do serious work in which i have to open big programs like visual studio 2008, photoshop cs3, illustrator, adobe flash cs3 and more

how can i run these all?

@wolfram how much temps will go down if i buy cooler master hyper 212 plus
any idea
August 25, 2010 5:58:19 PM

Yeah here in India ambient temps are high so lot of people do get overheating problems with quad core processors. You better use an aftermarket cooler Using Thermalright ultra 90 on my core2quad q6600 reduced my load temps from 80s to 60s
August 26, 2010 4:05:20 AM

the only solution to this i m gonna buy hyper 212+ or thermalight ultra 90 or thermalight mux 120

i already got 85 once at what temp i should shut down so to protect my pc from burning i mean at what temp my pc can burn? if i use stock cooler

@zip i interpreted it wrongly sorry
August 26, 2010 7:53:42 AM

Hmm, if it went into the 80's and still worked, it is either adapted to the local temps (is it possible? I've heard about specialized to area windows version, but I was dubious) or there is something else wrong....
Edit: any OC?
a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
August 26, 2010 3:21:25 PM

I don't think it throttles until 90 or so... when I first put my PC together, the heat sink wasn't on right and running prime95 got it up to 87C or something right away but it didn't cut out or anything. I turned it off after maybe 10 seconds going "hmm... I don't think that's good...".
But yeah, over 70 and you'll start to hurt the CPU over time. Under regular operation it should really be under about 60. Burn tests obviously really push it, I'd think at the highest 75C is ok in a burn test simply because it won't get that high under regular operation.

If you get a Hyper 212+, get a pair of good fans for it to help it drop those temps.
August 26, 2010 6:11:23 PM

fan wil be attached with hyper 212 plus then y do i nefd another
a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
August 26, 2010 7:33:11 PM

more air passing over the fins = better heat transfer = lower temps. Having a push/pull 2 fan config is about 2-4C colder than just a single push fan. On top of that, there's better fans than the stock on, so again you can add higher CFM fans for more air flow.
August 28, 2010 1:11:07 PM

and the pic u added above dispaly temps of 920 i googled alot to find temp result of 870 over these heat sinks

if u found any then please add it here thanks

and which extra fan(s) and hsf u suggest for 870?
a c 120 à CPUs
a c 183 K Overclocking
August 28, 2010 1:23:56 PM

nitin_pc said:
and the pic u added above dispaly temps of 920 i googled alot to find temp result of 870 over these heat sinks

if u found any then please add it here thanks

and which extra fan(s) and hsf u suggest for 870?

That chart Wolfram23 posted is a good one since i7 9xx series are hotter chips i've used it before hehe!
Here's an 1156 heatsink review using the i7 870.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/lga-1156-heatsink,2...
The best fans to use for push/pull will be Scythe Gentle Typhoons or S-flex.

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 28, 2010 3:55:33 PM

+1 cm HYPER 212 +
August 29, 2010 4:11:13 PM

Quote:
Top height in the chart above refers to the amount of mounting space needed to install the cooler in a case. Base height refers to component clearance space under the bottom fins, a number required to determine whether large coolers will fit over various motherboard sinks. DIMM intrusion refers to how far the sink extends beyond the front edge of the 3.75”-wide silk-screened outline that surrounds most LGA 1156 sockets.

Notice that all of today’s coolers extend beyond the outline that surrounds the socket. Base height can also be used to determine maximum memory height for DIMMs that fall under the cooler’s front fan.

Noctua’s NH-D14 gets an asterisk following its DIMM intrusion number because this particular cooler has a center fan that can be used with or without the front fan. Removing the front fan lessens DIMM encroachment by 25mm, though it also reduces the performance of the heat sink.

i didnt got anythn from this at http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/lga-1156-heatsink,2...

i was using a p3 before and i bought i7 870 now so i dont know what this all is

please u all here help me in deciding new heatsink and push pull fan

please provide your suggestions by considering these things
1. my motherboard(whether the heatsink and extra push pull fan support my motherboard)
http://motherboards-reviews.com/Gigabyte/socket_1156/GA...
2. my i7 870 temps at 0(approx) load
http://i35.tinypic.com/n70k2d.png
3. i jumped from p3 to 870 so i know very little about this all new technologies

thanks

@davcon i will look into my market whether Scythe Gentle Typhoons or S-flex fan is available there or not if u have any other suggestion then please let me know
August 30, 2010 7:54:52 PM

please reply somebody
August 31, 2010 2:08:59 AM

I went with a megahalems with 2 corsair pwm fans because they are silent but you should get the megahalems and a couple scythe fans.
August 31, 2010 5:12:44 PM

will Scythe GentleTyphoon D1225C12B4AP-14 120mm Case Fan support my motherboard and will they get fixed in my case properly? my case is cooler master elite 335

thanks
September 1, 2010 4:46:04 PM

how much arctic silver 5 i should apply on any of the heatsink(most probably CM hyper 212+) that i will buy

and for how long it will stay there on the heatsink and when will i have to put it again
thanks

and where should i put the extra push pull fan?
a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
September 1, 2010 5:01:47 PM

You put the whole tube on, a great big gob, and smear it all over the cpu. Then in 2 weeks you need to replace it.

...but seriously Google this
September 1, 2010 5:07:40 PM

u mean every two weeks i have to get a new arctic silver 5? r u kidng?

and where should i put the fans?
a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
September 1, 2010 5:28:20 PM

Yes I was kidding. Click the link it's a guide on application.

Put the fans on the heatsink.
September 1, 2010 5:56:23 PM

really na? u put me in a tension

so for how long i have to change it with a new arctic silver 5
a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
September 1, 2010 6:17:18 PM

Pretty much never. Unless you notice bad temps suddenly but it shouldn't really happen if it's all installed right.
September 1, 2010 7:19:50 PM

gr8

davcon told me about the Scythe Gentle Typhoons do u think they will do my job

i am man who spends for the best quality for once not who spends on the low quality products again and agan thats y i ask u repeatdly

i m asking it again
please u help me in deciding new heatsink and push pull fan

please provide your suggestions by considering these things
1. my motherboard(whether the heatsink and extra push pull fan support my motherboard) is Gigabyte P55M UD2
http://motherboards-reviews.com/Gi [...] D2_top.jpg

here its a image of this motherboard that i m having so u can see whether the heatsink and fan will be compatible or not
3. i jumped from p3 to 870 so i know very little about this all new technologies
4. i have cooler master elite 335 http://www.nix.ru/autocatalog/cases_coolermaster/81854_...

thanks wolfram
September 2, 2010 7:36:02 AM

i just called intel and they told me what ever be the core temps i dont have to worry
the only thing i have to monitor is the CPU temp it is not 25 c(from hw monitor) and they told me that the maximium it can go is 72c is it true?

do i really not have to worry about the all four core temps?
September 2, 2010 9:32:18 AM

Buy an air conditioning unit for your room?
September 7, 2010 4:28:54 PM

nitin_pc said:
gr8

thanks wolfram

Looking at the core temp image you posted I noticed it reports a speed of 3GHz (133x23), although the CPU is idle (2% load). I downloaded core temp and ran it on my computer (I also own a core i7-870), and it showed me temperatures just below 30 degrees C at idle, but the speed of the CPU was hovering at 1.2GHz (133x9) at that point. Maybe you don't have SpeedStep enabled in your BIOS, or maybe WinXP needs some driver for the CPU to take advantage of it (I am running Win7). Your temperatures are what I get when my CPU has work to do (and that makes it run at 2.93-3.6GHz).
September 8, 2010 6:10:21 PM

@aron i didnt find any feature called speedstep in my bios? i also checked the temps at windows 7 i have two windows installed in my system

and in windows 7 it is 5-8 c less the temps in windows 7 are 44,45,40,41 and in xp u have seen

what should i do please tell me any particular place in my bios where i will find that feature or is it have any other name also?
my motherboard is gigabyte p55m ud2

will enabling this speedstep allow me to do any work which requires more than 1.2 ghz? i mean if i enable it then will it increase and decrease automatically?

thanks
a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
September 8, 2010 8:05:48 PM

Speed Step = EIST. You'll want it on auto or enabled. Only under extreme OCing do you need to turn it off. It is also going to allow turbo boost to function. C1E and C States are also good to have enabled since they are power saving features and reduce idle temps.
September 8, 2010 8:08:13 PM

I don't own a Gigabyte board, so I am not sure how SpeedStep is called there, I googled it briefly and it seems like you may want to look for something like "CPU EIST Function" and set it to enabled. If what I found is correct you should find that setting under MB Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T.), Advanced Frequency Settings, Advanced CPU Core Features.
And yes, the frequency will increase automatically when needed. Hope this helps.
September 9, 2010 1:51:01 PM

i got it now its there with name cpu EIST Function(thanks aron) and it is set to auto already should i change it to enabled to get the temps down?

thanks
September 9, 2010 2:09:31 PM

nitin_pc said:
i got it now its there with name cpu EIST Function(thanks aron) and it is set to auto already should i change it to enabled to get the temps down?

thanks

Auto should be the same as enabled unless you are overclocking, but you can give it a try anyway.
September 9, 2010 2:18:06 PM

i never seen mine running at 1.2 ghz core temp always show 3ghz approx but u said u are running at 1.2 ghz how is this possible?
September 9, 2010 2:27:29 PM

nitin_pc said:
i never seen mine running at 1.2 ghz core temp always show 3ghz approx but u said u are running at 1.2 ghz how is this possible?

This article explains it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpeedStep

There is one more thing you could check, under Windows 7 in Control panel, Hardware and Sound/Power Options make sure your selected power plan is Balanced and not High performance. Something similar should exist in WindowsXP's Control Panel, I just don't remember where exactly.
September 10, 2010 5:07:06 PM

it worked now the wiki link was very helpful the frequency is 1199 mhz and it is changing itself accoording to the load but still the temps are approx 46 at 0 load

thanks
September 10, 2010 7:48:14 PM

nitin_pc said:
it worked now the wiki link was very helpful the frequency is 1199 mhz and it is changing itself accoording to the load but still the temps are approx 46 at 0 load

thanks

well, if it is 36 degrees where you live maybe 46 degrees idle CPU temperature is just what you will have to live with...
September 11, 2010 7:44:57 PM

its not 36 it is 46 how much down will i get if i buy some decent cooler like cooler master hyper 212+

thanks
!