My i7 870 showed me temps which are 85,84,81,80 are they fine?

nitin_pc

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
hey all
i just bought my new rig it is as follows

Intel i7 870
Gigabyte p55m ud2
kingston 2+2
1 TB seagate
Cooler master 600W PSU
Cooler Master elite 335

and yesterday while i was scanning my pc and also playing a game, after starting the scan i launched CPU-z and reseted high temps of all four cores and i launched Sonic all star racing after 15 minutes of playing the game i minimized the game and saw the temps and i was shocked they were as follows

Core 1 85 c
Core 2 81 c
Core 3 83 c
Core 4 84 c

i also noted them as 75,76,74,69 when i played NFS most wanted a day before this happend

please tell me are they fine? if not then what should i do

thanks

nitin_pc

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
i am using core temp it was a mistake it was not cpu z and my heatsink is workn d fan is spining wat should i do i want to know how can i make it work normaly

nitin_pc

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
i got it it is thermal paste i googled it and found that it is placed between cpu and heatsink but when the assembler was assembling my pc i saw he didnt put any thing between the two

what should i do now

nitin_pc

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
i didnt got any with any of my components and my assembler also didnt put any paste kind of thing on my cpu and my idle temps are 45,41,46,49

Stock CPU cooleres have pre-applied TIM. If there's none you'd be in bigger trouble lol.

Temps are still a bit high tho, my i5 750 with a huge OC (1.1ghz) has lower idle and load temps, with a Zalman CNPS10X Extreme. (38C idle, 71C load)

Hyper 212+ is decent.

nitin_pc

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
@ wolfram what trouble r u talking about? please tell me what should i do now to check the damages if any

and what is the extreme case that i will face

u mean that i got TIM attached to my heatsink? i mean is it permanently attached?
as the assembler didnt put any thing on it and in cpu box i only got cpu, heatsink and manual

as i saw on google that it is a paste or a cream kind of thing and we should spread it on cpu or put a very little quantity taken out of a tube on center of cpu so how can it be fixed on heatsink

is it right?

u said that u have 38 and 71 what is the city temps there?

I mean without any TIM at all the temps would probably be even higher and caust CPU damage. Like I said, stock heatsinks come with the TIM pre-applied. If you remove the heat sink tho you'll have to buy new TIM. In that case, use a bit of rubbing alcohol to wipe off all the TIM on the CPU and heat sink then follow some guides on applying the new stuff (basically just a small amount in the middle).

My ambient temps are about 23C or so... hard to say exactly it definitely changes, I live in an appartment with no A/C and no digital thermometer it's just a crappy old style. Luckily I'm in Canada so temps are usually reasonable.

Wow! 36C... ok well maybe those temps are normal then hah. That's really hot... yikes. I definitely think you should invest in an aftermarket heat sink, anything you can do to help those temps.

The only thing you can do to check is to remove the heat sink and have a look. It's pretty obvious, TIM is usually a grey gooey substance.

nitin_pc

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
i called my assembler and he told me that it is a tape kind of thing that is on heat sink and he told me that he checked it

i dont know whether he is right or not is it really a tape kind of thing on heat sink called tim?

@zip u mean that i should run my pc at 85? and i got this 85 only by one anti virus and one game then how will i do serious work in which i have to open big programs like visual studio 2008, photoshop cs3, illustrator, adobe flash cs3 and more

how can i run these all?

@wolfram how much temps will go down if i buy cooler master hyper 212 plus
any idea

Can't you just google? Took me 2 minutes to google this:
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/19383-cooler-master-hyper-212-plus-cpu-cooler-review-10.html
i7_26.jpg

bharath1097

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007
Yeah here in India ambient temps are high so lot of people do get overheating problems with quad core processors. You better use an aftermarket cooler Using Thermalright ultra 90 on my core2quad q6600 reduced my load temps from 80s to 60s

nitin_pc

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
the only solution to this i m gonna buy hyper 212+ or thermalight ultra 90 or thermalight mux 120

i already got 85 once at what temp i should shut down so to protect my pc from burning i mean at what temp my pc can burn? if i use stock cooler

@zip i interpreted it wrongly sorry

Atotalnoob

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
Hmm, if it went into the 80's and still worked, it is either adapted to the local temps (is it possible? I've heard about specialized to area windows version, but I was dubious) or there is something else wrong....
Edit: any OC?

I don't think it throttles until 90 or so... when I first put my PC together, the heat sink wasn't on right and running prime95 got it up to 87C or something right away but it didn't cut out or anything. I turned it off after maybe 10 seconds going "hmm... I don't think that's good...".
But yeah, over 70 and you'll start to hurt the CPU over time. Under regular operation it should really be under about 60. Burn tests obviously really push it, I'd think at the highest 75C is ok in a burn test simply because it won't get that high under regular operation.

If you get a Hyper 212+, get a pair of good fans for it to help it drop those temps.

more air passing over the fins = better heat transfer = lower temps. Having a push/pull 2 fan config is about 2-4C colder than just a single push fan. On top of that, there's better fans than the stock on, so again you can add higher CFM fans for more air flow.

nitin_pc

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
and the pic u added above dispaly temps of 920 i googled alot to find temp result of 870 over these heat sinks

if u found any then please add it here thanks

and which extra fan(s) and hsf u suggest for 870?

That chart Wolfram23 posted is a good one since i7 9xx series are hotter chips i've used it before hehe!
Here's an 1156 heatsink review using the i7 870.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/lga-1156-heatsink,2535.html
The best fans to use for push/pull will be Scythe Gentle Typhoons or S-flex.