Sign in with
Your question

Raid 5 Failure

Last response: in Storage
August 20, 2010 6:07:08 AM

Last night I checked my Windows Updates to see if there were any security patches available, and like a fool I decided to go ahead and blanket install the optional updates. One of them happened to be the update titled Promise Technologies Inc. - Storage - Promise AHCI Compatible Raid Controller. After it downloaded and installed the updates, I shut down my PC for the night. When I booted it back up, I see an error from the Dropbox application stating that it cannot find my Dropbox folder. This is weird, so I check my Raid drive and I'm given an error stating the drive is unaccessible and asks me to format it. I reboot the computer and I see this in the Intel Matrix Storage Manager Screen:

It doesn't look like the drives have failed, just the Raid. I am not sure what it means when it says a disk a Non-Raid Disk but the array worked beautifully up until last night. I have no idea how to go about fixing the Raid configuration without destroying my data. I have read some forum posts stating they were able to fix it by making the HDD non-members, recreating the array exactly as it was before, then running an application called TestDisk. I was hoping someone here could provide a better answer than using a third party tool. Sorry I am rather new to this, setting it up was quite easy and I understand how it works, I just don't know the many ways to troubleshoot.

Thanks!

Specs:
Asus P6X58D-E Motherboard
Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2M080G2XXX SSD (OS runs on this drive, Raid is only for storage)
3x SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive (Raid 5 drives)
Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz LGA 1366
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

More about : raid failure

August 20, 2010 2:43:33 PM

Figured it out, rebuilt the Raid exactly as it was before and then ran Testdisk to restore the partition!
m
l
!