I like University

I really like this more than I thought I would. It's like a whole other
game all on it's own. I like the feel of it and I like the added
influence aspect as well as being able to bring back Sims who have died,
and the plastic surgery machine (however these are college career
rewards and am looking forward to someone who can make them buyable). I
also like the cell phone, though I had to take out the phone hack.
Let's just hope Maxis got smart and eliminated all that phone ringing.
I had to only take out a few hacks... the study computer and the
homework sometimes faster fun. I have lost a lot of downloads :(....
still deleting.
Oh and it is true, I had to reinstall Sims 2 to get rid of the patch
before it would take University.
All in all I give it 2 thumbs up :)
67 answers Last reply
More about university

    Oh and I also like the under the counter fridge!

    "JulyRaine" <JulyRaine@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I really like this more than I thought I would. It's like a whole
    >other game all on it's own. I like the feel of it and I like the added
    > influence aspect as well as being able to bring back Sims who have
    > died, and the plastic surgery machine (however these are college
    > career rewards and am looking forward to someone who can make them
    > buyable). I also like the cell phone, though I had to take out the
    > phone hack. Let's just hope Maxis got smart and eliminated all that
    > phone ringing. I had to only take out a few hacks... the study
    > computer and the homework sometimes faster fun. I have lost a lot of
    > downloads :(.... still deleting.
    > Oh and it is true, I had to reinstall Sims 2 to get rid of the patch
    > before it would take University.
    > All in all I give it 2 thumbs up :)

    Well heck!! After all that trouble I went through the other day
    uninstalling Sims 2,
    then reinstalling and then.......I went to Maxis site & got the latest
    patch. I could just slap somebody!! LOL

    Oh well, back to the drawing board..........B

    PS Thanks July for posting about the hacks. BTW these objects that don't
    work,
    have they been upgraded to EP compatible??? Just curious!

    Jay&B wrote:
    > "JulyRaine" <JulyRaine@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>I really like this more than I thought I would. It's like a whole
    >>other game all on it's own. I like the feel of it and I like the added
    >>influence aspect as well as being able to bring back Sims who have
    >>died, and the plastic surgery machine (however these are college
    >>career rewards and am looking forward to someone who can make them
    >>buyable). I also like the cell phone, though I had to take out the
    >>phone hack. Let's just hope Maxis got smart and eliminated all that
    >>phone ringing. I had to only take out a few hacks... the study
    >>computer and the homework sometimes faster fun. I have lost a lot of
    >>downloads :(.... still deleting.
    >>Oh and it is true, I had to reinstall Sims 2 to get rid of the patch
    >>before it would take University.
    >>All in all I give it 2 thumbs up :)
    >

    > Well heck!! After all that trouble I went through the other day
    > uninstalling Sims 2,
    > then reinstalling and then.......I went to Maxis site & got the latest
    > patch. I could just slap somebody!! LOL
    >
    > Oh well, back to the drawing board..........B
    >
    > PS Thanks July for posting about the hacks. BTW these objects that don't
    > work,
    > have they been upgraded to EP compatible??? Just curious!

    LOL!

    I installed University without reinstalling Sims 2. Anyway, I have not
    played it much yet. Spent my free time playing my regular sims and buying
    new objects for them. Will get into it more today.

    On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 04:27:58 -0800, JulyRaine <JulyRaine@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >All in all I give it 2 thumbs up :)

    Thanks for the report :-)

    Now.. TELL US MORE COOL STUFF! Us freaking euros have to wait another
    week and a half!!! :-(((

    Guardian Pegasus wrote:
    > On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 04:27:58 -0800, JulyRaine <JulyRaine@yahoo.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>All in all I give it 2 thumbs up :)
    >

    > Thanks for the report :-)
    >
    > Now.. TELL US MORE COOL STUFF! Us freaking euros have to wait another
    > week and a half!!! :-(((
    ==
    Well, when you you choose your neighborhood you are prompted to choose a
    university, there are three. One looks like it is set in strangtown
    from the looks of the thumbnail.
    You are then taken there and are able to play or go back to your
    neighborhood.
    You can combine households now by taking a Sim from the Sim bin and
    moving them into any household you want. I really like that :)
    If you want a teen in your neighborhood to go to college you have them
    do it over the phone, by selection 'go to college'.
    When they get out of the taxi in College town they turn into a young adult.
    The capacity of your meter for influence grows as you make more friends
    You get a dark blue outline around the wants that when satisfied give
    you influence points. The amount varies and is in tool tip under the
    amount of aspiration points.

    I have been spending most of my time deleting objects and figuring out
    which hacks I needed to take out. My option for going to class and
    doing college stuff on the computer wasn't there nor my option to use
    the cell phone. I just took out the hacks that had anything to do with
    these and it fixed the problem.

    Oh and I like that when you move into a dorm they have someone who does
    all the cooking and cleaning of the kitchen, so all you have to do is
    grab a plate.

    They have wall showers, I like that!
    There is a treadmill and another workout bench. One of the career
    rewards is a camera which allows you to take pictures and hang them on
    the wall or set them on an end table framed! That is cool.

    They have a vanity for the girls, I haven't tried that yet so I don't
    know what the interactions are with it.

    That's all I can think of for now:)

    wrote:

    >homework sometimes faster fun. I have lost a lot of downloads :(....
    >still deleting.

    July, does that mean the downloads that are not compatible still show
    up in the game? Or are you deleting manually via windows explorer?

    Guardian Pegasus wrote:
    > On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 04:27:58 -0800, JulyRaine <JulyRaine@yahoo.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>homework sometimes faster fun. I have lost a lot of downloads :(....
    >>still deleting.
    >

    > July, does that mean the downloads that are not compatible still show
    > up in the game? Or are you deleting manually via windows explorer?
    ==
    They show up in the game, some blue and some (in the thumbnail) normal.
    It's deceiving just to look at the thumbnails because they look normal
    and then when you put them in the game they turn blue.

    What I am doing is going to an empty lot and taking out all the objects
    category by category and using the update tool to go through and delete
    the ones that turn blue.

    It's easier to use the update tool as you don't lose your place every
    time you delete. It goes pretty fast this way, I have just finished and
    I have a ton of objects.

    > Guardian Pegasus wrote:
    >> On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 04:27:58 -0800, JulyRaine <JulyRaine@yahoo.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>homework sometimes faster fun. I have lost a lot of downloads :(....
    >>>still deleting.
    >>

    >> July, does that mean the downloads that are not compatible still show
    >> up in the game? Or are you deleting manually via windows explorer?
    > ==
    > They show up in the game, some blue and some (in the thumbnail)
    > normal.
    > It's deceiving just to look at the thumbnails because they look normal
    > and then when you put them in the game they turn blue.
    >
    > What I am doing is going to an empty lot and taking out all the
    > objects
    > category by category and using the update tool to go through and
    > delete the ones that turn blue.
    >
    > It's easier to use the update tool as you don't lose your place every
    > time you delete. It goes pretty fast this way, I have just finished
    > and I have a ton of objects.

    Update tool? I need to go inside the game & figure out what this is.
    Boy, I
    think sometimes, I'm loosing it. LOL

    ....B

    Cool! I hope to get my copy this weekend, for my birthday. I have ben
    throwing hints out every chance I get...lol

    Dianna

    "k-n-d" <k-n-d@nospam.none> wrote in message
    > Cool! I hope to get my copy this weekend, for my birthday. I have
    > ben
    > throwing hints out every chance I get...lol
    >
    > Dianna

    Tomorrow is my birthday & my hubby is getting me the game but I can't
    wait for him
    to get home from work, so
    I'm going in the morning to get it. ROTFL He told me "Now, remember it's
    from me". LOL
    Am I anxious or what??

    .....B

    JulyRaine wrote:

    > Oh and it is true, I had to reinstall Sims 2 to get rid of the patch
    > before it would take University.

    > All in all I give it 2 thumbs up :)

    Thanks, Ebert. (Or are you Roeper? ;-) So, lemme get this straight,
    you uninstall Sims2, which makes the patch go away, but you don't erase
    your added folders and stuff, reinstall Sims2 and then University, and
    you have a game that runs and all your old stuff and scenarios are still
    there?

    What about your third-party downloads? Are they still working?

    --
    --Cuth

    Cuthbert Gurdlestone wrote:
    > JulyRaine wrote:
    >
    >> Oh and it is true, I had to reinstall Sims 2 to get rid of the patch
    >> before it would take University.
    >

    >> All in all I give it 2 thumbs up :)
    >

    > Thanks, Ebert. (Or are you Roeper? ;-) So, lemme get this straight,
    > you uninstall Sims2, which makes the patch go away, but you don't erase
    > your added folders and stuff, reinstall Sims2 and then University, and
    > you have a game that runs and all your old stuff and scenarios are still
    > there?
    >
    > What about your third-party downloads? Are they still working?

    ==
    Yes it asks if you want to keep your saved files when you reinstall
    (Maxis got it right on that one) so you don't lose any of your game.

    JulyRaine wrote:

    > It's easier to use the update tool as you don't lose your place every
    > time you delete. It goes pretty fast this way, I have just finished and
    > I have a ton of objects.

    Pardon the ignorant, but what is the "Update tool"?

    Hmmm...this sounds like a lot of work to me, unfortunately.

    --
    --Cuth

    Cuthbert Gurdlestone wrote:
    > JulyRaine wrote:
    >
    >> It's easier to use the update tool as you don't lose your place every
    >> time you delete. It goes pretty fast this way, I have just finished
    >> and I have a ton of objects.
    >

    > Pardon the ignorant, but what is the "Update tool"?
    >
    > Hmmm...this sounds like a lot of work to me, unfortunately.

    it's the little tool that looks like it has a bunch of fabric swatches on it

    JulyRaine wrote:

    > It's easier to use the update tool as you don't lose your
    > place every time you delete.

    What is the update tool?

    T.

    JulyRaine wrote:

    > Well, when you you choose your neighborhood you are
    > prompted to choose a university, there are three. One
    > looks like it is set in strangtown from the looks of the
    thumbnail.

    Can you go to university from a custom neighbourhood?

    T.

    Taemon wrote:
    > JulyRaine wrote:
    >

    >>Well, when you you choose your neighborhood you are
    >>prompted to choose a university, there are three. One
    >>looks like it is set in strangtown from the looks of the
    >
    > thumbnail.
    >
    > Can you go to university from a custom neighbourhood?
    >
    > T.

    ==
    yes, you choose the college town you want associated with your
    neighborhood. You can choose any of the three. Each one has a
    different look to it.

    > Cuthbert Gurdlestone wrote:
    >> JulyRaine wrote:
    >>
    >>> Oh and it is true, I had to reinstall Sims 2 to get rid of the patch
    >>> before it would take University.
    >>

    >>> All in all I give it 2 thumbs up :)
    >>

    >> Thanks, Ebert. (Or are you Roeper? ;-) So, lemme get this straight,
    >> you uninstall Sims2, which makes the patch go away, but you don't erase
    >> your added folders and stuff, reinstall Sims2 and then University, and
    >> you have a game that runs and all your old stuff and scenarios are still
    >> there?
    >>
    >> What about your third-party downloads? Are they still working?
    >>
    > ==
    > Yes it asks if you want to keep your saved files when you reinstall (Maxis
    > got it right on that one) so you don't lose any of your game.

    I did that, but I also backed up the sims folder in My Documents and I'm
    glad I did that because while all my sims are still there and such, it did
    delete most of my storytelling pictures. Not sure why it did that. I had
    about 60 of them and now there are only about 15.

    On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 08:56:15 -0800, JulyRaine <JulyRaine@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >Well, when you you choose your neighborhood you are prompted to choose a
    >university, there are three. One looks like it is set in strangtown
    >from the looks of the thumbnail.

    You choose *one* university for your whole neighbourhood?

    >You can combine households now by taking a Sim from the Sim bin and
    >moving them into any household you want. I really like that :)

    Sweet! Is the person-specific door available in neighbourhood
    buildmode??? If not I'm sure someone will hack it quickly enough hehe

    >I have been spending most of my time deleting objects and figuring out
    >which hacks I needed to take out. My option for going to class and
    >doing college stuff on the computer wasn't there nor my option to use
    >the cell phone. I just took out the hacks that had anything to do with
    >these and it fixed the problem.

    How do you know which objects to delete? Are they blacked out or
    something? Or do you have to test them?

    >That's all I can think of for now:)

    Thanks! That'll keep me for another day or so... LOL... then I'll need
    a new fix :-)

    "Guardian Pegasus" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 08:56:15 -0800, JulyRaine <JulyRaine@yahoo.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Well, when you you choose your neighborhood you are prompted to choose a
    >>university, there are three. One looks like it is set in strangtown
    >>from the looks of the thumbnail.
    >
    > You choose *one* university for your whole neighbourhood?

    No, the university is like a "neighborhood within your neighborhood". When
    you load up for the first time, you're asked if you want to associate a
    college with your neighborhood and you can then select one from the three
    templates, and what you have to do the next time you load your game is go to
    the neighborhood, hit the university icon in the upper left next to the
    switch neighborhood button, and the university you've selected shows up as
    the first choice in a menu that looks exactly like the neighborhood
    selection screen from when you start the game. You can then add more
    universities to associate with the neighborhood in exactly the same manner
    that you would create a custom neighborhood in the neighborhood menu. So as
    far as I can tell you can have as many universities associated with any of
    your neighborhoods as you'd like.

    On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 11:44:00 -0800, JulyRaine <JulyRaine@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >it's the little tool that looks like it has a bunch of fabric swatches on it

    *scratches head* Is this something new in university?

    >on it
    >
    > *scratches head* Is this something new in university?

    No.

    Gareeth

    Guardian Pegasus wrote:
    > On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 11:44:00 -0800, JulyRaine <JulyRaine@yahoo.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>it's the little tool that looks like it has a bunch of fabric swatches on it
    >

    > *scratches head* Is this something new in university?
    ==
    look by the eyedropper in buy mode

    On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 11:45:34 -0800, JulyRaine <JulyRaine@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >Yes it asks if you want to keep your saved files when you reinstall
    >(Maxis got it right on that one) so you don't lose any of your game.

    One thing I don't understand is WHY they didn't make it backwards
    compatible. IE. why couldn't they let old objects stay functional?
    AND, is this going to happen EVERY time they release another
    expansion? If so... I'm hard pressed to find any reason to download
    stuff ever... or until they no longer make expansion packs... which is
    probably when Sims 3 will be in the presses...

    wrote:

    >All in all I give it 2 thumbs up :)

    One more question, July! The downloads that don't work... turn blue?
    What about the ones already placed around in the game? Do they turn
    blue as well? It would be a huge benefit if they just turned blue,
    instead of dissappearing.. then I could easily replace them, and not
    have to delete ALL my downloads.

    Guardian Pegasus wrote:
    > On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 04:27:58 -0800, JulyRaine <JulyRaine@yahoo.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>All in all I give it 2 thumbs up :)
    >

    > One more question, July! The downloads that don't work... turn blue?
    > What about the ones already placed around in the game? Do they turn
    > blue as well? It would be a huge benefit if they just turned blue,
    > instead of dissappearing.. then I could easily replace them, and not
    > have to delete ALL my downloads.
    They turned blue...that was my experience

    JulyRaine <JulyRaine@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Cuthbert Gurdlestone wrote:
    >> Thanks, Ebert. (Or are you Roeper? ;-) So, lemme get this straight,
    >> you uninstall Sims2, which makes the patch go away,
    >Yes it asks if you want to keep your saved files when you reinstall
    >(Maxis got it right on that one) so you don't lose any of your game.

    The main feature of the patch was that it enabled WinXP users with
    limited accounts to play the game, instead of only users with
    administrator privileges. Can normal users play the University expansion?

    --
    Philipp Lucas
    phlucas@online-club.de

    No. It's in the same area as the back to main selection button of the build
    and buy screens. It's a cheaper way of updating the look of an object
    without selling and re-buying it - but I always forget that it is there.

    MM

    > Guardian Pegasus wrote:
    > > On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 11:44:00 -0800, JulyRaine <JulyRaine@yahoo.com>
    > > wrote:
    > >

    > >>it's the little tool that looks like it has a bunch of fabric swatches
    on it

    > > *scratches head* Is this something new in university?
    > ==
    > look by the eyedropper in buy mode

    On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 06:23:36 GMT, "Madame Mim"
    <mad.mim@S.P.A.M.bigpond.net.au> wrote:

    >No. It's in the same area as the back to main selection button of the build
    >and buy screens. It's a cheaper way of updating the look of an object
    >without selling and re-buying it - but I always forget that it is there.

    Ooooh, the design tool... LOL

    JulyRaine wrote:

    > Taemon wrote:
    > > JulyRaine wrote:
    > > > Well, when you you choose your neighborhood you are
    > > > prompted to choose a university, there are three. One
    > > > looks like it is set in strangtown from the looks of
    > > > the thumbnail.
    > > Can you go to university from a custom neighbourhood?
    > yes, you choose the college town you want associated with
    > your neighborhood. You can choose any of the three.
    > Each one has a different look to it.

    So... to get to see all three of them I'd have to send sims to
    university from three different neighbourhoods?

    T.

    Charles Whitney wrote:

    > So as far as I can tell you can have as many
    > universities associated with any of your neighborhoods as
    > you'd like.

    Ah! Ignore my earlier question.

    T.

    Charles Whitney wrote:

    > I did that, but I also backed up the sims folder in My
    > Documents and I'm glad I did that because while all my
    > sims are still there and such, it did delete most of my
    > storytelling pictures. Not sure why it did that. I had
    > about 60 of them and now there are only about 15.

    From MTS2:

    <...>
    Your ingame snapshots will no longer be in C:\My Documents\EA
    Games\The Sims 2\Storytelling. They have now been sorted by
    neighborhoods! You will find them in:

    C:\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims
    2\Neighborhoods\Nxxx\Storytelling
    <...>

    So they might be still there.

    T.

    "JulyRaine" <JulyRaine@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I really like this more than I thought I would. It's like a whole other
    >game all on it's own.

    I am sure I will like it more once I recover from having my old
    neighbourhoods totally wiped out. I messed up backing them up too so they
    are gone forever.

    Gareeth sobbing and whacking computer

    On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 08:38:15 -0800, JulyRaine <JulyRaine@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >Guardian Pegasus wrote:
    >> On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 04:27:58 -0800, JulyRaine <JulyRaine@yahoo.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>homework sometimes faster fun. I have lost a lot of downloads :(....
    >>>still deleting.
    >>

    >> July, does that mean the downloads that are not compatible still show
    >> up in the game? Or are you deleting manually via windows explorer?
    >==
    >They show up in the game, some blue and some (in the thumbnail) normal.
    >It's deceiving just to look at the thumbnails because they look normal
    >and then when you put them in the game they turn blue.
    >
    >What I am doing is going to an empty lot and taking out all the objects
    >category by category and using the update tool to go through and delete
    >the ones that turn blue.
    >
    >It's easier to use the update tool as you don't lose your place every
    >time you delete. It goes pretty fast this way, I have just finished and
    >I have a ton of objects.

    From what I have seen,...the blue ones are just recolors.

    If you've downloaded any of Exnem's objects from 'Sims Vault', you
    will need to use SimPE to fix them. I have emailed him, and informed
    him of such.

    If you have the latest version of SimPE, use the "scan folders" plugin
    from the menu, and make the "blue" ones EP compatible.

    Also in the "Content" column, you should see [Recolor] for the ones
    that are "blue".

    Be careful though, some that say [Recolor] do not need to be modified,
    and they will turn "invisible" if you try to make those "EP
    Compatible". Some re-colored objects from S2L do not need to be
    changed.

    Also, the Teen WooHoo mod was updated on the S2L site for EP1, it
    works now, and will not keep your sims from attending class, or taking
    final exams.

    And do not try to make your skin files "EP compatible" with
    SimPE.....that option will screw up your skins, and make them
    unusable.

    And ALWAYS back up your original files before installing EP1,
    before doing any testing, and only use copies of them to do your
    testing with. ; )

    I got my copy of EP1 on Tuesday, and I've spent the good part of the
    last few days going through about 6600 downloads to see which work,
    and which don't.

    I hope we only have to do this once....LOL ; )

    SIM-on,
    SF

    On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 02:54:14 +0100, Guardian Pegasus
    <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote:

    >On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 11:45:34 -0800, JulyRaine <JulyRaine@yahoo.com>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Yes it asks if you want to keep your saved files when you reinstall
    >>(Maxis got it right on that one) so you don't lose any of your game.
    >
    >One thing I don't understand is WHY they didn't make it backwards
    >compatible.

    I'm with you.

    But the game engine has changed to allow for future EP's.

    >IE. why couldn't they let old objects stay functional?
    >AND, is this going to happen EVERY time they release another
    >expansion?

    I'm with you here as well. I've been working on my downloads folder
    since Tuesday night, when I got the EP.....LOL

    This is too much like work.....and hope to only have to do this
    once...LOL

    >If so... I'm hard pressed to find any reason to download
    >stuff ever... or until they no longer make expansion packs... which is
    >probably when Sims 3 will be in the presses...

    They make too much cash from these Expansion Packs to give them
    up...LOL ; )

    SF

    "SIMper Fi" <4ever@faithful.org> wrote in message

    > I'm with you here as well. I've been working on my downloads folder
    > since Tuesday night, when I got the EP.....LOL

    Consider yourself somewhat lucky. My game won't load with anything in the
    downloads folder for some reason. Well it might load hours later but I keep
    giving up after half an hour. Betweeen that and losing all my neighbourhoods
    this has been a less thn stellar EP for me.

    Gareeth

    On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 03:02:55 +0100, Guardian Pegasus
    <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote:

    >On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 04:27:58 -0800, JulyRaine <JulyRaine@yahoo.com>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>All in all I give it 2 thumbs up :)
    >
    >One more question, July! The downloads that don't work... turn blue?
    >What about the ones already placed around in the game? Do they turn
    >blue as well? It would be a huge benefit if they just turned blue,
    >instead of dissappearing.. then I could easily replace them, and not
    >have to delete ALL my downloads.

    The ones that turn "blue", are recolors. Use the latest version of
    SimPE to fix them, and make them EP compatible.

    Use the "scan folders" option from the "plug-in" menu in SimPE.

    I have fixed all my "blue" downloads, and they all work now.

    SF

    On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 06:36:48 GMT, SIMper Fi <4ever@faithful.org>
    wrote:

    >I'm with you here as well. I've been working on my downloads folder
    >since Tuesday night, when I got the EP.....LOL
    >
    >This is too much like work.....and hope to only have to do this
    >once...LOL

    Boy... I only had about 2-250MB downloads... only started downloading
    recently, in fact, and it took me a good while to delete all the non
    functionals. Half an hour or something.

    >They make too much cash from these Expansion Packs to give them
    >up...LOL ; )

    Indeedy doo... but as an addicted simmer I'm not complaining. They can
    have all my money, just make more EPs!

    On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 06:40:53 GMT, SIMper Fi <4ever@faithful.org>
    wrote:

    >The ones that turn "blue", are recolors. Use the latest version of
    >SimPE to fix them, and make them EP compatible.

    I've had three variants:

    1) Recolors that no longer work and both show and turn blue.. this is
    the most common
    2) Custom mesh objects that are blue on the tumbnail and have to be
    deleted (not recolors)
    3) Objects that look ok on the thumbnail and turn blue when you place
    them... the least common.

    On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 08:36:32 +0100, Guardian Pegasus
    <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote:

    >On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 06:40:53 GMT, SIMper Fi <4ever@faithful.org>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>The ones that turn "blue", are recolors. Use the latest version of
    >>SimPE to fix them, and make them EP compatible.
    >
    >I've had three variants:
    >
    >1) Recolors that no longer work and both show and turn blue.. this is
    >the most common
    >2) Custom mesh objects that are blue on the tumbnail and have to be
    >deleted (not recolors)
    >3) Objects that look ok on the thumbnail and turn blue when you place
    >them... the least common.

    Maybe I should look deeper.....so far I've just had the problem with
    the thumbs being blue, and turning blue in the game as well.

    Thanks for the info.

    SF

    > "SIMper Fi" <4ever@faithful.org> wrote in message
    >>

    >> I'm with you here as well. I've been working on my downloads folder
    >> since Tuesday night, when I got the EP.....LOL
    >>
    > Consider yourself somewhat lucky. My game won't load with anything in the
    > downloads folder for some reason. Well it might load hours later but I
    > keep giving up after half an hour. Betweeen that and losing all my
    > neighbourhoods this has been a less thn stellar EP for me.
    >
    > Gareeth

    I couldn't agree with you more... I installed Uni yesterday and it doesn't
    work, before getting to neighborhoods it crashes to the desktop.
    PLUS NOW... I can't use the first, Sims2! So now what? Re-install both and
    start All over?
    Seems like a dumb way to make an add-on EP.
    I DID remove all hacks, even ones that are supposed to be ok... On the other
    hand, maybe I needed this to break my addiction!
    Sage

    Are you pressing the Sims2 shortcut or the University shortcut? You must
    enter University - even though it left the appearance that Sims2 was still
    functioning separately, it is not.

    MM

    "Sage" <lbee@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

    > "Gareeth" <Gareethnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "SIMper Fi" <4ever@faithful.org> wrote in message
    > >>

    > >> I'm with you here as well. I've been working on my downloads folder
    > >> since Tuesday night, when I got the EP.....LOL
    > >>
    > > Consider yourself somewhat lucky. My game won't load with anything in
    the
    > > downloads folder for some reason. Well it might load hours later but I
    > > keep giving up after half an hour. Betweeen that and losing all my
    > > neighbourhoods this has been a less thn stellar EP for me.
    > >
    > > Gareeth
    >
    > I couldn't agree with you more... I installed Uni yesterday and it doesn't
    > work, before getting to neighborhoods it crashes to the desktop.
    > PLUS NOW... I can't use the first, Sims2! So now what? Re-install both and
    > start All over?
    > Seems like a dumb way to make an add-on EP.
    > I DID remove all hacks, even ones that are supposed to be ok... On the
    other
    > hand, maybe I needed this to break my addiction!
    > Sage

    Thanks, MM... I do press the University shortcut. That's when the trouble
    starts but Sims2 doesn't work either. <sigh>
    Sage

    > Are you pressing the Sims2 shortcut or the University shortcut? You must
    > enter University - even though it left the appearance that Sims2 was still
    > functioning separately, it is not.
    >
    > MM
    >

    > "Sage" <lbee@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Gareeth" <Gareethnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "SIMper Fi" <4ever@faithful.org> wrote in message

    >> > Consider yourself somewhat lucky. My game won't load with anything in
    > the
    >> > downloads folder for some reason. Well it might load hours later but I
    >> > keep giving up after half an hour. Betweeen that and losing all my
    >> > neighbourhoods this has been a less thn stellar EP for me.
    >> >
    >> > Gareeth
    >>
    >> I couldn't agree with you more... I installed Uni yesterday and it
    >> doesn't
    >> work, before getting to neighborhoods it crashes to the desktop.
    >> PLUS NOW... I can't use the first, Sims2! So now what? Re-install both
    >> and
    >> start All over?
    >> Seems like a dumb way to make an add-on EP.
    >> I DID remove all hacks, even ones that are supposed to be ok... On the
    > other
    >> hand, maybe I needed this to break my addiction!
    >> Sage

    Bummer, and I was hoping for an easy answer. Somebody said that they had to
    completely empty their downloads folder to get the game to start, and I am
    only slowly putting things back into my game - God I miss the phone hack
    *gets down on knees and prays to JM Pescado to find the answer soon*

    If University is installed you can only get back to the plain Sims 2 by
    uninstalling it - I remember being told this during installation.

    I'd try emptying your downloads folder before you resort to re-installing -
    just move it somewhere else and slowly add things back in. It may be
    something other than a hack is causing your problems.

    > > I would have made a copy of your "My Documents\The Sims 2" before I
    > did anything.

    I thought I had. Well I thought I had backed up the downloads and the
    nighbourhoods. I tried to burn them to cd and that failed so I backed them
    up to my desktop. But I must have messed up because when I found out what
    had ahppened to my neighbourhoods and went looking for the folder with the
    backup there was only the download folder.

    I would never have proceeded without backing things up so I don't know how I
    screwed up but I did and it cost me hundreds of Sim families.

    Gareeth

    I MADE IT!!!
    But will miss the phone hack and a few others. I'm slowly putting in a few
    downloads at a time. Sims2 is now back to the beginning. Cassandra 'thinks'
    she wants to marry Don. And I was on my 5th generation of Goths!!!
    Thanks so much for the help, I was ready to toss the whole thing! And find
    another addiction;-)
    Sage

    On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 02:32:02 -0800, "Gareeth" <Gareethnews@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Consider yourself somewhat lucky. My game won't load with anything in the
    >downloads folder for some reason. Well it might load hours later but I keep
    >giving up after half an hour. Betweeen that and losing all my neighbourhoods
    >this has been a less thn stellar EP for me.

    Just how many megs of downloads did you try with, and how fast is your
    computer? :-\ I've noticed after downloading a couple of hundred megs
    that starting the game now takes 5-10 seconds later, and my computer
    is rather fast.

    > Just how many megs of downloads did you try with, and how fast is your
    > computer? :-\ I've noticed after downloading a couple of hundred megs
    > that starting the game now takes 5-10 seconds later, and my computer
    > is rather fast.

    Compared to many of the people here my download folder is wimpy. A mere 153
    MB. I am not talking about the game taking 5 or 10 seconds to load it just
    plain wouldn't load in half an hour. My computer is only 1.8 ghz but that is
    a lot faster than they say it needs to be and I didn't have problems with
    Sims2.

    Gareeth

Sims Games Video Games