Wtf is going on?

boswell3782

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
Right here's the problem, I have been able to overclock my AMD Athlon II X2 250 to a clock speed of 3.51ghz and for a day it was working fine but when I swiched it on in the morning it just hangs. I have tryed declocking to 3.2ghz ect. and no luck the only way my computer won't hang is if I have the clock speeds set to auto which is reall annoying because its too slow (3.00ghz) why?

Specs:
Mobo: Asrock n68-s
Cpu: AMD Athlon II X2 250
RAM: 4.00gb dual channel ddr2

thanks

Without us knowing what settings you changed in the Bios we cannot get a clear idea of what is wrong. How did you OC the CPU? What settings did you use/change in the Bios?

boswell3782

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010

Right, well my BIOS is manifacture is AMI all I know

I just wen't into the cpu settings and set the overlock type to CPU, PCI Async to a value of 252 then press f10 and thats it!

that's the main problem, you cannot just raise the FSB and expect the board to pull a miracle ;)

When raising the bus you also have to raise the v-core, so lets say that your stock voltage is 1.3v (example), go ahead and raise the voltage to about 1.38v and test again at 252.

Also make sure your ram timings and voltage are keyed in manually and set according to the manufacturers specifications. Leaving those on AUTO will cause the system to crash, especially when overclocking the CPU.

boswell3782

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
It's set to auto so it should rae the voltage by it's self if I race the voltage or the multipliyer by one step computer won't even switch on i have to clear the cmos for it to switch on ?!

Yeahhh... you'll want to go read some guides on that. Like OvrClkr says, you can't just expect to raise it up like that and expect it to work. Higher clocks need more voltage, more voltage creates more heat, and a stock heatsink is going to limit you.

Also, if you raise the FSB, better keep an eye on what your RAM is doing as well, since it's clocks will go up.

I have a feeling that you did not manually go into the Bios prior to booting the PC for the first time. When you are done with a build the first thing you do is set your ram timings/voltage. Was this done correctly?

if you are using 800Mhz DDR2 drop the frequency to 667Mhz, then raise the bus to 252 and raise the vcore to 1.38v and re-test making sure that your ram frequency does not go over 850Mhz.

If you want to do this correctly you need to forget about the word AUTO, key in your values manually and you will eventually find stability.

Here is an article that talks more about overclocking the x2 250, try to read it so you get a better understanding of what needs to be done. If you are clueless on how to OC we will be here typing forever.

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/aii_250/12.html

boswell3782

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010

It's not me I do know alot about modding, I would change the voltage but if I change anything with a "v" at the end even by only one step it will fail tryed it NB, Vcore ect.ect
it just wont hav it

Auto does raise the voltage if it's needed, sometimes too much but as the OC gets bigger then it easily becomes not enough.

If, say, stock voltage is 1.2V. At 3.5ghz auto was giving it, say, 1.3V. But it might need 1.35V. If you're raising the voltage manually by only 1 or 2 notches, you're probably at 1.22V or so... clearly not enough. Make smaller CPU speed increases. Try 3.2ghz or so. If it boots, for the love of your PC, stress test it for stability and temps. If it passes fine, try 3.3 or 3.4ghz. If it boots and fails the test, increase voltage. If you raise and raise the voltage and it never passes, the problem isn't the CPU. Could be the RAM. Could be mobo features like cool n quiet.

Again, read some OC guides. At least a couple. Know what you're doing and what the changes you make are really doing.

Right now I think the issue is probably with the RAM more than the CPU. If RAM is OCed wrong it won't boot at all.

boswell3782

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010

Don't worry I have I have pages of infomation I have had not one problem with all my other computers I have o.c'd oh well I'm building a new one soon lmao