Your question

Gaming rig specs

Tags:
  • Gaming
  • Overclocking
  • Product
Last response: in Overclocking
August 23, 2010 5:52:33 PM

I'm building another gaming rig and here might be my specs not decided yet!

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R

Cpu: Intel i7

Ram: Mushkin Redline Frostbyte 6GB

Case Thermaltake Armour+

GTX: Nvidia Geforce 480 eventually triple sli (have to save up lmao!)

Watercooling: Not sure yet!

Any good?

More about : gaming rig specs

a b 4 Gaming
a c 100 K Overclocking
August 23, 2010 6:29:05 PM

Well first of all, an i7 doesn't say much... i7 920? 930? 980X? etc.

RAM... well, I haven't heard too many good things about Mushkin but I don't think they're bad either. Whether or not that RAM is any good tho is still up in the air, since we don't know the speed or timings

Otherwise, yeah it's alright. Not sure why you'd hope for triple SLI 480s lol but if that's what you want... well, ok then. You'll almost have to get water cooling for that hah (or lots of case fans!). I'd probably wait several months anyway, since ATI should be unveiling their 6xxx series by Christmas.

Watercooling tho is a whole other beast. Especially if you plan 3 480s on water, you'll probably want the rads mounted internally, which means you need the biggest case possible. Otherwise, rads will be everywhere haha.
Really, air cooling is sufficient even for good overclocks. If you want a good watercooling set up, it'll cost at least ~$600 or more... a big single loop single GPU block would be around this much. Add another GPU it's over 700. But with 480s you'd probably be better off with dual loops, which is even a bit pricer since you need 2 reservoirs and 2 pumps...
m
l
August 23, 2010 6:44:19 PM

wolfram23 said:
Well first of all, an i7 doesn't say much... i7 920? 930? 980X? etc.

RAM... well, I haven't heard too many good things about Mushkin but I don't think they're bad either. Whether or not that RAM is any good tho is still up in the air, since we don't know the speed or timings

Otherwise, yeah it's alright. Not sure why you'd hope for triple SLI 480s lol but if that's what you want... well, ok then. You'll almost have to get water cooling for that hah (or lots of case fans!). I'd probably wait several months anyway, since ATI should be unveiling their 6xxx series by Christmas.

Watercooling tho is a whole other beast. Especially if you plan 3 480s on water, you'll probably want the rads mounted internally, which means you need the biggest case possible. Otherwise, rads will be everywhere haha.
Really, air cooling is sufficient even for good overclocks. If you want a good watercooling set up, it'll cost at least ~$600 or more... a big single loop single GPU block would be around this much. Add another GPU it's over 700. But with 480s you'd probably be better off with dual loops, which is even a bit pricer since you need 2 reservoirs and 2 pumps...

Yea sorry about the i7 model I haven't decided yet! I will have to well might get external wc' lol
m
l
!