AMD "dragon" i dont understand

ra2carr

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
OK for the first time since i realised it existed WIKIPIDIA has let me down.

i need some help trying to understand what this new "Dragon" platform is exactly
* Is it a nickname for new chipset, if yes does anyone know where i can get more info on the architecture of the chipset
* Is it simply a nickname for the new socket AM3

I am very confused can someone help me ?????

or if you cant be bothered with a real explanation just direct me to a site that will give me some info on the many chipsets that AMD inploys

Dragon is the name given to a design standard and package of AMD/ATI hardware and utilities at the high-end for gaming. I'll probably get it wrong but here goes:

1) AMD 790FX chipset with 2 PCIe gen2 x16 slots running x16x16 for 2-way Crossfire (3-way Crossfire at x8x8x8 ?);

2) A Phenom II microprocessor (don't think it matters if it's AM2+ or AM3);

3) 2 (or 3?) ATI video cards; and

4) AMD Overdrive and Game Fusion utilities.

The only anticipated 'improvements' (AFAIK) to the platform is a new South Bridge 800 in Q3-09 and rumors of a higher-clocked (at stock) Phenom II microprocessor with an *FX* label (think expensive).

Maybe if you used a pair of HD4830s on a 790gx with a PhII 720BE you could call it a *Lizard* ??

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
Technically to sell a box as a Dragon platform all you need is a video card with a 4800 class chip. I'm shooting for "neutered Dragon" as I'm shopping for a 4770.

Devastator_uk

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
Spider = Phenom CPU + 3800 Series GPU + 7 Series Chipset

Dragon = Phenom II CPU + 4800 Series GPU + 7 Series Chipset

Anything different than that and you can't call it a Spider or Dragon (officially).

Maybe Sobe.... Or Geico platform....

It could save you 15% or more in only 15 minutes....

That would be a interesting marketing ploy.

TRENDING THREADS