markvan1

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009
Hi guys....

I am ready to build my new system. Could you tell me the directions to follow to switch my old HDD over to the new system, with XP on it, getting it to boot with all new hardware, with the exception of the HDD, CD drive and PSU.

I am taking the drive out of a P4 2.6 with an ASrock mobo, and putting it into the new system which has the Asus P6T deluxe mobo, and intell i7 920.

I will also be installing a nvidia Quadro fx3500 for the video card. I bought the card, 'new condition, but previously installed' off ebay so I don't have any cd with drivers or documentation. Should I download these drivers before tearing apart the old system?

Once I start I will be losing any ability to get back on to the net to ask for help, (unless I rebuild the old system again.....) So please be as clear as possible, I have never done this before...

Thanks

markvan1

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009
Any one know how to do this? Not to be a pain, but I am hoping to get this up and running tonight, so I can use it for work tomorrow......

It may or may not boot. I'd give you a 50:50 chance. Better to put in a new hard drive and rebuilt yuo rOS.. Among other reasons, why hamstring an i7 system with an old drive?

But if you are going to try, download all the drivers you are going to need. Backup your data. Unistall all the old drivers that you can.

markvan1

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009
Awesome. Thank you Animal.

I knew that this must be able to be done some how..... I am just printing off the instructions now, and will have a quick read through. Hopefully I will be reporting back with my new system up and running....

Cheers.

theAnimal

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009

Backup just in case. :)