Your question

Problems with overclocking Core 2 Duo!

Tags:
  • Intel
  • Overclocking
  • Core
Last response: in Overclocking
August 23, 2010 11:52:57 PM

I have just begun attempts to overclock my Core 2 e4300. I have made attempts using Gigabyte's easytune software and through the BIOS as well. I first used the software and attempted to increase the FSB from 200 mhz to 210mhz. The system immediately froze. I tried the same in bios and the system would restart, and then about 5 seconds later restart again. It would repeat this cycle until I did a hard reset. Am I starting off at the wrong point increasing the FSB??? Here are my system specs, any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Intel Core 2 Duo e4300 Allendale
-GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3
-Patriot Extreme Performance 2GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
-650 Watt BFG Extreme PSU
-Radeon 5770
-MaxOrb CPU Cooler

More about : problems overclocking core duo

a b K Overclocking
August 24, 2010 9:37:41 PM

either your rams, or processor are stopping you from going ahead.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 25, 2010 4:13:06 AM

You did it fine, changing the FSB is what your supposed to do. I would not recommend using EasyTune as I do not like it, OCing in the BIOS is always much better. Unless your doing something repetative and simple, like when I was undervolting my i3 I used EasyTune so I wouldn't have to reboot each time for stress testing.

There shouldn't be any problems with a 10MHz increase, neither the processor or the ram should be to far OCed to cause it not to POST. Though is there any smaller incriment you can do it in? Or maybe try putting it "down" instead of up and see if it works. I remember on my P35 Gigabyte board it had a problem where it would not POST if there was any change to the FSB (even down). Also you could lower the multiplier then up the FSB a bit, this would generally show wether the motherboard is limiting (up the NB voltage).

Also to eliminate the RAM as a factor use should change the FSB:D RAM ratio so that it doesn't go past 800MHz when you change the FSB.

Have you read a decent guide on OCing? You should before you try.

Hope that helps a bit.
m
l
Related resources
a c 198 K Overclocking
a b å Intel
August 25, 2010 5:00:00 AM

Don't try to reinvent the wheel. Use the guides. Also, dump Easytune and learn to use the BIOS.

This should be your first stop.
Core2 Overclocking Guide
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/259899-11-core-over...

If you have a Gigabyte motherboard, this is good,
Shadow's Gigabyte motherboard OC guide:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-245679_11_0.ht...
It's for an EP35-DS3L but all the Gigabyte Core2 BIOS's are similar.

Go through the guides. Then take your core voltage off Auto and set your memory voltage to factory recommended values. Change the System Memory Multiplier (or whatever your BIOS calls it) from AUTO to 2.00, 2.00B, or 2.00D - whichever you need to set the Memory Frequency to twice the FSB. Then when you increase the FSB, the memory clock will rise in in proportion with it. At an FSB of 200 MHz, your memory clock should be at 400 MHz.

Because your memory is DDR2-800, your memory will not be the limiting factor. Because your motherboard FSB is rated at 333 MHz FSB, your motherboard should not be a limiting factor either.

Download CPU-Z to check your FSB:RAM ratio. It should be a 1:1 ratio. There's little benefit to running memory past the 1:1 FSB:RAM ratio in a Core2 system.

Don't exceed 1.5 volts vcore and keep your load temps under 65 C.

Keep in mind that these are guides, not cookbooks. YMMV. Because of all the variables, you may not do as well as someone else with a similar system. Or you might do better.
----------
Overclocking since 1978 - Z80 (TRS-80) from 1.77 MHz to 2.01 MHz
:) 

m
l
August 25, 2010 7:36:00 PM

I apologize, but there was an error in my first response. The patriot ram sticks only 1 gb a piece. Someone gave me 2gb of their old corsair sticks as well. Would different brands of ram affect my ability to oc the cpu? Also, thanks for all of the helpful guides and advice.
m
l
August 25, 2010 8:02:43 PM

They are both PC2 6400, however the timings are different. The patriot is listed as 4-4-4 while the Corsair is labeled with 4-5-5-15. Sorry ahead of time if the above question is severely noob. Just trying to learn at this point.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 25, 2010 8:31:59 PM

try it with only 2 of the1GB sticks first as having 4 1GB sticks can prove to make systems unstable, especially if it is two different brands/timings... Try the Patriot first, if that does not work, try the corsair...
m
l
August 27, 2010 6:45:29 AM

Tried with both the Patriot and Corsair ram separately. Neither option would successfully POST. First tried increasing the FSB. After seeing that was not going to work, I decreased the multiplier from 9 to 8 and increased fsb from 200 to 250. That was actually able to boot the computer once and quickly blue screened after that. After I attempted to start the computer again, it would not POST.
m
l
a c 198 K Overclocking
a b å Intel
August 27, 2010 8:43:33 AM

With mismatched memory, set the memory timings to the slower memory. I'd use 5-5-5-15 and increase the RAM voltage to 2.2 volts.
m
l