CPU overclocking question

Evtrai

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
Okay here's the thing, I have some spare computer parts from my old PC minus the HDD and PSU, and my younger sister likes light gaming and likes to play some MMO on her laptop but wants to play FFXIV so I'm thinking of putting together a PC for her with some parts I had from 2 previous's PC's and upgrades but I had some questions:

So far I have the following pieces:
4GB RAM 800Mhz dual channel
Intel Core 2 Duo E4440 2.0Ghz
ATI HD 4850 512MB
Asrock G31M-VS2 motherboard ( http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?model=g31m-vs2 )
Cooler Master RR-B10-212P-G1 Hyper 212 Plus (cooler)
Windows XP (since the game doesn't support Direct X10 only 9 at release)

So ive been wondering is it posible to push the processor to 3.0 Ghz at least? since ive been reading the min requierements of the game is 2.0 Ghz but I would like it for her to run decently at least on medium settings since the game looks so good even on medium, since my first thoughts from start are that the video card will be on bottleneck, what do you guys think? is it posible to push it to 3.0ghz?

Solution
A lot depends on your particular CPU chip.

This should be your first stop.
Core2 Overclocking Guide
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/259899-11-core-overclocking-guide

Next stop should be a guide for your particular motherboard. Google is your friend.

Go through the guides. Then take your core voltage off Auto and set your memory voltage to factory recommended values. Change the System Memory Multiplier (or whatever your BIOS calls it) from AUTO to 2.00, 2.00B, or 2.00D - whichever you need to set the Memory Frequency to twice the FSB. Then when you increase the FSB, the memory clock will rise in in proportion with it. At an FSB of 266 MHz, your memory clock should be at 533 MHz.

Download CPU-Z to check your FSB:RAM ratio. It...
A 50% overclock on a 65 nm Core 2 Duo is possible but even @ 2.5 GHz that would be more than enough. I'm not really sure if 3.0 GHz is possible with a CM Hyper 212 Plus with the E4400. Most likely it would be, but I'm not too experienced in terms of older Core 2 CPUs.

Just so you know, any DirectX 9 game will work on a DirectX 10/10.1/11 OS.

I doubt the HD 4850 will be bottlenecked that much if at all. Overclocking to around 2.5 GHz should eliminate the bottleneck.

A lot depends on your particular CPU chip.

This should be your first stop.
Core2 Overclocking Guide
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/259899-11-core-overclocking-guide

Next stop should be a guide for your particular motherboard. Google is your friend.

Go through the guides. Then take your core voltage off Auto and set your memory voltage to factory recommended values. Change the System Memory Multiplier (or whatever your BIOS calls it) from AUTO to 2.00, 2.00B, or 2.00D - whichever you need to set the Memory Frequency to twice the FSB. Then when you increase the FSB, the memory clock will rise in in proportion with it. At an FSB of 266 MHz, your memory clock should be at 533 MHz.

Download CPU-Z to check your FSB:RAM ratio. It should be a 1:1 ratio.

Don't exceed 1.50 volts on your vcore and keep the load temps under 65 C.

Solution
sorry I try not to argue usualy but 2.5 ghz isnt going to cut it. the difference between 2.5 (or 2.6 in my case) and 3 ghz I tested with a 5770 with 10.2 drivers and it has a huge difference and keeps increasing considerably all the way up to 3.6 from there the increases in frame rate are minimal (socket 775)
but that is a 1 GB so take what I wrote for what it is