Sign in with
Your question

What Heatsink should I buy?

Last response: in Overclocking
August 24, 2010 5:08:41 AM

I need a little bit of advice on what Heatsink I should buy for an old build I have. I have had my computer for a little over 3 years now, and despite the fact that I specifically bought components to overclock, I never got around to it before now. I have the following components:

Geforce 8800 GTS GPU
Intel Core 2 4300E CPU
2 GB of G. Skill Ram
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Heatsink
1 120 mm back fan
650 W Power Supply
Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 Motherboard

I have managed to overclock the CPU from 1.8 GHz to 2.42 GHz, but in order to keep my core temperatures under control I have dropped the core voltage from 1.35V to 1.152V. Even with this reduction, I am running about a 47-49 C idle temperature and a 68-71 C load temperature according to SpeedFan. The settings seem stable so far, but I have only been running Prime95's torture test for about 2 hours. From what I have read, I should be able to get more out of OCing this CPU, but I need a better cooling system. Can someone suggested something to me that would be a good fit. I actually lost the side of my case about a year ago so fitting in my case isn't really an issue. I'm also wondering if I should upgrade my RAM to 4 GB, and if I do, will I need a new power supply to support both the RAM and the OC (although I realize this isn't really the right place for those questions).

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

More about : heatsink buy

August 24, 2010 5:47:43 PM

yup, hyper 212+ one of the best, cheapest of the best.
m
l
a c 293 K Overclocking
August 24, 2010 7:10:13 PM

Hi.

1- What is ur budget?
2- Like the other two users the Hyper 212+ is a solid option price/performance but if u can go with a Titan Fenrir or Thermalright Venomous X both are better.
m
l
!