Adding storage to an xp tower

jeepdad

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
I am in need of more storage on my main desktop. I am not sure which is my best route to go.
I have a dell 8400 with added ram for a total of 3gb upgraded video card and use the sound card for my home theatre, (thanks to some info I got from here).

I have formatted once and reinstalled xp about 3 years ago. I am using an external drive for backing up important files. My question is which way to make my computer have more space to download home videos and pictures and access them for editing while still available on my home network.

p4 3.0ghz
3 gb ram
180 gb hd

edit: I am leaning towards a replacement larger drive with a fresh install of xp and other software. Just hoping there might be an easier solution. I have also considered copying all my media to another drive then deleting media to free up space on existing hdd.

jeepdad

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
How do I select the new drive as the default download location? second, will it function just as my original hd? do I just add it in to my hd ide cable? thanks for the help

I have a 250gb internal drive I can use but didn't know how easy it would be to access from windows

I just installed the 250gb drive in the ide cable coming of the CD/DVD drive. Power cable attached and changed the jumper to slave. It came from a external HD that the power supply shorted on. It seemed to boot a little slower from power off but i can deal with that to have 2 hdd's.