Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Temps on my overclocked i5-750?

Last response: in Overclocking
August 24, 2010 3:00:56 PM

hi, I recently bought a coolermaster v8 and some arctic silver 5 TIM. after setting it up I overclocked my cpu to 3.6Ghz from stocks.

the Idle temps went to 41*C, load temps tested with Prime95 for about 10 mins were up to 70*C tops.
all of these without increasing voltages.
BTW ambient temp is about 30-35*C.
Do you recommend lowering the clocks a little or I let the TIM break in first (AS5 takes 200hrs)?

here's a quick wrap up of info:

Idle(OC/nonOC): 42*C/36*C
load(OC/nonOC): 70*C/64*C

I need help on this, thanks in advance.

More about : temps overclocked 750

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 24, 2010 3:11:46 PM

You say "without increasing voltages", did you lock in the base voltage in the BIOS or did you just leave them on AUTO?

If you have just left all the voltages on AUTO, the MB will increase the voltages when you up the Bclk. You can open CPU-Z and look at the idle/load voltage and see this happen.
m
l
August 24, 2010 3:18:26 PM

I set it in auto, I probably didn't notice it. I was in a rush, will look into it later when I restart my pc.
m
l
Related resources
August 24, 2010 3:25:21 PM

tried using cpu-z while running/stopping prime95, the core voltage stayed at a constant 1.264, what was the stock voltage anyway?

EDIT: oh, I think I left the setting locked.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
August 24, 2010 6:10:38 PM

It seems maybe a little high but I guess it depends on just what you did. Are you still using turbo boost, for example?

Your idle temps are fine, and if that's a turbo boost OC then your load temps aren't bad either. Also depends what your ambient is. My i5 750 is at 178bclk turbo boost on, so 3.75ghz to 4.3ghz, temps are around 38-42 idle and 71 load with a 23C ambient or thereabouts. My voltages are 1.38625V Vcore (LLC off) and 1.22V VTT or something like that.

I found for turbo boost OCs, LLC off is better for temps even tho you have to set a higher nominal voltage.

Also, set your voltage manually don't leave it on auto (Vcore and VTT - and probably DIMM/DRAM voltage should be manual)
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 24, 2010 6:43:03 PM

Quote:
BTW ambient temp is about 30-35*C.

That is very high and taking that into consideration your temps are fine. About 6* up from ambient in idle is fine. My ambient temp is like 22* and if yours was also 22* then you'd get way better temps.
m
l
August 24, 2010 10:06:57 PM

wolfram23 said:
It seems maybe a little high but I guess it depends on just what you did. Are you still using turbo boost, for example?

Your idle temps are fine, and if that's a turbo boost OC then your load temps aren't bad either. Also depends what your ambient is. My i5 750 is at 178bclk turbo boost on, so 3.75ghz to 4.3ghz, temps are around 38-42 idle and 71 load with a 23C ambient or thereabouts. My voltages are 1.38625V Vcore (LLC off) and 1.22V VTT or something like that.

I found for turbo boost OCs, LLC off is better for temps even tho you have to set a higher nominal voltage.

Also, set your voltage manually don't leave it on auto (Vcore and VTT - and probably DIMM/DRAM voltage should be manual)

what are the ideal voltages for my setting exactly? I'm pretty new to overclocking but I know enough to get started.
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
August 25, 2010 3:26:00 AM

I can make a guess but you didn't say what your settings are lol. What baseclock and multiplier/turbo?

Were you running 3.6ghz, 180 base clock, 20x multiplier, no turbo? If that's the case, I'd say around 1.28Vcore 1.2VTT with LLC on, if not even less. Maybe as little as 1.15VTT or so and 1.25Vcore. Not sure but that would be my guess. With turbo enabled it's a bit different, needs more voltage to reach that higher clock on a single core. Actually, at 180 base clock I haven't had it stable with turbo on. Right now I use 178 base clock and, well, I already mentioned my voltages for that.
August 25, 2010 10:12:35 AM

wolfram23 said:
I can make a guess but you didn't say what your settings are lol. What baseclock and multiplier/turbo?

Were you running 3.6ghz, 180 base clock, 20x multiplier, no turbo? If that's the case, I'd say around 1.28Vcore 1.2VTT with LLC on, if not even less. Maybe as little as 1.15VTT or so and 1.25Vcore. Not sure but that would be my guess. With turbo enabled it's a bit different, needs more voltage to reach that higher clock on a single core. Actually, at 180 base clock I haven't had it stable with turbo on. Right now I use 178 base clock and, well, I already mentioned my voltages for that.

yep, 180 base clock and 20 multiplier and turbo off, Will try what you suggested in a while.
m
l
August 25, 2010 10:20:00 AM

another thing: how do I let the mainboard control the fan on the V8, the fan controller doesn't seem to be removable but it's connected via a 4-pin

okay, I tweaked the settings a bit and I seem to have gotten lower max temps (67*c as compared to yesterday's 70*C). It's either that worked or the thermal paste break in period is affecting the temps. also, I couldn't find the VTT setting in my BIOS, I have an Asus p7p55d mobo.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
August 25, 2010 2:07:37 PM

It's probably listed as IMC then, but it's the same as VTT.

There should be an option in the BIOS under Hardware Management to set the fan control - min/max speeds and the threshold temp you want.

m
l
August 28, 2010 5:46:05 AM

Best answer selected by vertical777.
m
l
!