Problem with new build

mossyoakmilitary

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
When I power on my unit, all fans start running, dvd burner opens and closes, and hard drive runs, but I can not get to the BIOS screen because when I plug my monitor in it goes black, when it is unplugged it gives the 'no signal' warning but then I plug in the monitor and nothing. Any suggestions. Possibly a bad video card?

mossyoakmilitary

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
Went through the checklist one by one, followed instructions on motherboard manual exactly. The first time I powered it up, the screen displayed the message 'insert a bootable device' I turned off the power and now I can not get anything to show on the screen, it is just dark.
The only thing that I can not hook up is my HD led, cable is too short to reach mobo. Also, there are no beeps that I can hear when I power up.

System specs:

MSI P45 NEO 2 mobo
OCZ DDR2 ram, 4g
PNY Geforce 8800GT video card
Seventeam 750w PS
Intel Quad-Core, 9550, 2.66gh
WD 640g HD

I checked the MSI website, and every part that I have listed is supposed to be compatible with my motherboard per their compatibility tests. I am at a loss, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Are any fans spinning when powered on?

MSI uses LED brackets, not beep codes. You should have a bracket with 4 lights on it that came with the mobo. That will give you a diagnostic light code. You should have a manual that tells what each code means, or you can get it from their site.

mossyoakmilitary

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
Got the monitor to come on finally, but it still will not progress to the BIOS screen, gives this as output on screen

"Reboot and select proper boot device or Insert Boot media in selected boot device and press a key"

I took out one memory module and when I did the monitor started to come on. Also noticed that when I power on for a brief second I can see the name of my video card and its specifics like amount of memory and model number.

mossyoakmilitary

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
My bad, this is my first build and I did not realize that I had to install the OS first. I thought I would be able to access the BIOS without anything else on my computer. Currently installing the the OS, has to format the HD first, so maybe everything will be ok. I appreciate all of the advice and hopefully everything will go fine.

mossyoakmilitary

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
Wow, MSI mobos are weird, just found out how to access BIOS. Usually, your system will tell you to press F2 or F8 to access your BIOS but my board never hits that screen, instead for that brief moment when nothing is displayed you must push the delete key and then it will take you to the BIOS screen.

OS installed
everything seems to be working fine for now.