squallypie

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
Currently, my E6750 Core2Duo is running at 3.6 Ghz ( 450 MHz x 8.0 ). this is roughly 135% of 2.66 GHz. My DRAM Frequency is somewhere around 900. i set the DRAM multiplier to 2.0.. everything is stable except when running prime95, the temps might hit 80*C, and fall back to 76-78*C. I locked the PCI-e Frequency at 100

i would like to OC the CPU to 4.2 GHz ( 60% ). The multiplier is unlocked till 9x. can i try and set the multiplier at 9x and 466.7? I dont want my RAM to have a high frequency, because i dont know how much extra voltage to feed into it. currently the voltage is default for the RAM and its normal frequency is 800.

I dont know anything about the northbridge or southbridge :cry: so should i know anything about that too?

Fetal

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
You are just doing oc, in the name of oc. Pushing those chips that much wont provide you anything xcpet unwanted heat and increased bill. what you are doing is completely useless. Your current oc is more than good for this chip and any game, considering whatever setup you have, it is ddr2(your bottleneck). so don't push it.

btw do you have a powerful cooling system? psu to provide enough wattage? Where is that info?

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
To be honest, anywhere from 425 to 450 is the limit on most motherboards or CPU's so i would consider yourself lucky. As for Pushing to 4.2, i don't think you are going to reach that even with Liquid cooling. As for the temps, 76-78 @ full load is way too high, i would not go past 65c tops.

squallypie

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
ah ok thanks. why i considered OC, is coz when i play games... the cpu runs at 100% and the audio gets real choppy ( on board audio )..

anyways thanks.. ill just stick to setting low priority on task manager

Man, people have gotten spoiled. For years, people thought they were luck to squeeze an additional 300 - 400 KHz out of their systems.

I agree with jonpaul. I doubt if you can reach 4.2 GHz with that chip. And load temps of 76 78 C are too high.

crooked vulture

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2009

if your sound quality is deteriorating, get a sound card.. very cheap these days. the great thing about sound cards is they releave the cpu cos now your cpu wont have to process audio, and you might even find that you get improved frame rates.

This is all subjective, however I have the same cpu and i must say that my sound card has made a significant impact on audio quality. Some people say that using sound cards prolongs boot times becuase of the drivers loading etc. i dissagree.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Indeed, there are drivers one way or another for sound devices. but adding a dedicated sound card takes a slight bit of the load off a CPU in some games. in the long run i think a cheap $40.00 sound card is worth it...

squallypie

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
so jsc, you think sound cards are not worth it?

anyway, when i play at normal clocks, the sound is more better than having the cpu oc'ed... this a bit strange, and now i think it has something to do with my PSU not supplying enogh power :(

jaspreetsinghbabbra

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
that chip would not go 4ghz+ under any condition its not a bloody wolfdale.......so leave any expectations.......sorry.....no need for the sound card because todays motherboards have the ability to play the sound without any hicupp.....i do have a core 2 duo e6300 not going above 3.05 ghz at any setting and temps reaching 60+ at prime test