johnacide

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
So, I just built my first computer. A lot of it was self-explanatory, but I checked out the hand books, and the how to build computer guide on this website. I can't get the screen to receive a signal. I am thinking that it's because my only way to connect it is to the video card, and I haven't added hardware(it's there, but I'm not sure if the system recognizes it?) The screen has a VGA connection, and I have two VGA to DVI converters, and I've tried both of them. Do I have to get a cord that will attach the screen to a usb port, or something of the sort that comes on the hard drive? This is urgent, and whatever help you can provide is much appreciated. Thank you

johnacide

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
Sorry, I forgot to post my specs.
Intel Core i7 2.66 GHz
Gigabyte Ga-ex58-ud5/p
Xigmatek 800w 12V
HIS Radeon HD 4870
A Data DDR3 1333 2*2GB

I forgot. The only thing you need to connct your monitor to the computer is a DVI-VGA adapter.

Is your system POST'ing successfully (single short beep)? If you do not get a single short beep, something is not working or you didn't install a system speaker.

jivdis1x

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
make sure you have the card securely on the mobo and both auxiliary power connector is hook up.

I assume that the screen only has a vga connection.

johnacide

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
So, I took out the mobo, I tried making sure everything was in completely(my RAM was a little loose). So, now I put everything back in, and now, it flashes on for a second, all of the fans start for a second, the lights light up, but then everything instantly stops. Does anybody have any idea what's going on?

johnacide

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
I just finished going through the check list, and no luck. I did however take out the mobo, the ram, the psu, and the cpu, and I hooked them all up, without a case, and they all worked fine. I don't understand it.

You've answered your own question. If the components work outside of the case then you have a short somewhere. Are you sure there are no extra standoffs that aren't lined up with a hole in the motherboard? You obviously have a short, you just need to find it now.

I'm not sure I'm following you. When I say short, I mean that the motherboard is being shorted to the case. Did you install standoffs between the case and motherboard? If you did, are you sure they all line up with holes in the motherboard? Are there any metal tabs on the back plate that could be going into the USB or LAN ports and shorting them out? I'm not sure what you mean by "all of the chords were working fine last night". What chords are you talking about?

johnacide

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
sorry, I meant cords, I'm just really dumb sometimes. You know, sometimes you can get shorts in the cord of your headphones, and the such. I didn't realize that you meant with the motherboard. I'm sorry I didn't know that. No, I don't have any standoffs that weren't with the motherboard. I'm not exactly sure what I can do to stop this from occurring while in the case, but I did find out that the stock fan that came with my processor doesn't work at all, so hopefully I'm going to buy a new one tomorrow. I appreciate what help you are providing me with, as well as your patience for my inferior intelligence on this subject.