Sign in with
Your question

SATA or IDE?

Last response: in Storage
August 21, 2010 2:38:42 AM

Hi,

I wanted to know, is there was any way to tell if my computer has a SATA or IDE hard drive without opening my tower? I'm running windows vista home premium and if theres no way then oh well ill just have to open my tower, but if you guys know any way to without opening it then please tell me.

More about : sata ide

Related resources
a b G Storage
August 21, 2010 3:49:56 AM

RetiredChief said:
Download, install, then run CrystalDiskInfo
http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/index-...

Edited - Then look at interface for type (Deleted googling as crystal tells you type)

I see tree fog was typing faster than I was - Same-same, just a diff program

It's Friday night here........I guess I have no life.
m
l
August 21, 2010 4:00:17 AM

RetiredChief said:
Download, install, then run CrystalDiskInfo
http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/index-...

Edited - Then look at interface for type (Deleted googling as crystal tells you type)

I see tree fog was typing faster than I was - Same-same, just a diff program

I tried yours because i had no idea how to use treefrogs but next to interface it says serial ATA so that would be SATA right? Also, next to transfer mode it says SATA/300, what does the 300 mean because im just trying to get a 1TB hard drive and i dont want to buy it and have it not work.
m
l
August 21, 2010 9:27:31 AM

without opening ?

maybe External Storage ?
m
l
a b G Storage
August 21, 2010 1:32:11 PM

Why don't you just look in device manger under disc drives.
It will tell you.
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
August 22, 2010 3:54:59 AM

300 mbs/sec
Diff words, same -Same
Sata 1 (Really sata 1.5) = Sata 150
Sata 2 = Sata 300
HDDs are backword compatable so that a Sata 2 drive wille work on sata 1, or sata 2.
The interfaces are also Backword compatable so that a Sata 6 (Also refered as Sata III) will support a SATA II HDD

Most of the SATA drives now days are SATA II (300), There are a few SATA III Drives, But I would not pay extra for them - If the same price as a SATA II go for it. May need to connect a jumper to force the drive into SAT II mode. Mechanical HDDs do not benifit from SATA6 except for Burst mode.
m
l
a b G Storage
August 22, 2010 4:24:15 AM

The drive will work in your system. Just be aware that you will spend a long time formatting it.
m
l
!