Sign in with
Your question

New video card, no system power. Please help.

Last response: in Systems
February 12, 2009 9:10:48 AM

I just installed a 512mb Gigabyte 9800gt into a system that was previously just using an on-board GPU. Its a brand new video card, was working perfectly fine for about 3 hours with the card installed nicely, then my pc just shut off unexpectedly.

If i slot in the 9800gt and plug in the 6-pin power cable from the PSU, then turn on the pc, absolutely nothing will happen, no power anywhere (sometimes the CPU fan will spin for a split second and power off again). If i unplug the 6-pin power cable but keep the video card in the pci-e slot it will boot up, but it takes a while for the monitor to display the boot process if i plug my monitor into the on-board GPU.

The pc works perfectly fine if i take the video card out completely and just use on-board.

What's gone wrong? :( 
Please help!

PS: and yes i went through the checklist at http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-build-post-...

EDIT: imo this seems like a PSU issue, but then it wouldn't have lasted for those 3 hours if it was would it?
a b U Graphics card
February 12, 2009 10:13:00 AM

Well actually the PSU is the culprit here....it was not able to handle ht 9800GT for long...it was only able to handle it for abt 3HRs and gave up i think....So u shuld certainly look into the PSU oly....there is no other explanation...I
t must ahve overheated because of the load and would have gone down...

Get a gud quality powersupply atleast 400W for the 9800GT...
February 12, 2009 10:15:44 AM

Thanks gkay, i'll look into it.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
February 12, 2009 2:10:55 PM

What PSU do you have? It certainly sounds like the PSU wasn't up to the task of powering the 9800GT.
!