How about these parts for i7 920 computer ??

q8y

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
Hi

i'm going to build my own computer and i want your help and opinion about it.
this what i done(till now, not bought yet):

Note: i want this computer for gaming(run crysis with high performence(setting) ) and i want to overclock my computer with high overclocking(i'm new to overclocking).

core i7 920
hd 4870 1gb
Thermaltake CL-P0114 120mm CPU Cooler
Thermaltake toughpower W0117RU 750W ATX12V
CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
ASUS P6T Intel X58 Motherboard

Motherboard:
i have questions about the motherboard. what is the deferrence between
ASUS P6T Intel X58 & ASUS P6T Intel X58 deluxe ?? i don't see any differences between them. if the motherboard not that well, what do you recommend for me ??

How about these motherboard:
MSI X58 Platinum
Intel BOXDX58SO
GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5
GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4p

what are the diferrence between ud5 & UD4P??

for the ram:
is this type of ram(corsair) is a good brand?? and what is the best one ??

finally, is all the chips that i choosed compatible with each others ??

Sorry for the a lot of questions....

i hope if u could explain for me in an easy english, since i'm not very well in english....

thanks in advance

As for the mobo the ASUS P6T Deluxe is the best option...the others are gud but this board is more stable and offers more features compared to some...and as for the RAM ..yes corsair is a very gud brand....and the components are compatible ...

But u shuld consider a better quality PSU such as the Corsair(Again) , PC&P, Seasonic...

merlinbadman

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
There really isnt much difference between the X58 mobos fro the average user, for example the P6T Deluxe includes a SAS controller (wont be used by many people).

I have a P6T Deluxe and am very happy with it.

q8y

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
thank u very much gkay09 & merlinbadman for ur helps.

gkay09:
unfortunattly i can't buy better than what i said for the power supply. because this brand is the only one that is available in my country, and if i want to order it online it will cost me to much since it's to heavy.

is Thermaltake toughpower W0117RU 750W ATX12V really bad ?? or what??

i hope if u can mentioned the difference between ASUS P6T & the deluxe ...

is the ASUS P6T Deluxe better than all what i mentioned before(5 kind) ??...

merlinbadman:

what do u mean by the SAS controller ?? what is really used for???

is my Thermaltake CL-P0114 120mm CPU Cooler compatible withe the I7 ??

i really appretiate ur helps guys, thank u very much

It's a good PSU, no worries. It's just that in the USA at Newegg there are better ones for less money. Too bad that Newegg won't ship outside the USA :(

A SAS controller is something you only need if you buy SAS hard drives. Forget it, you won't do that. All you need is regular SATA drives.

No, that cooler is not compatible with i7, unless it comes with a special bracket for it. I don't see any such thing at Newegg. I'm assuming it won't have it in your country either.

Between P6T Deluxe and GA-EX58-UD5. At newegg, 16% of reviewers hated the P6T Deluxe. Only 7% hated the UD5. Now, of course, some Newegg customers are idiots and their problems are their fault, not the motherboard's. Still, the UD5 is statistically less likely to make you scream and curse.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131346
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131346

Also, the UD5 has 10 SATA ports while the P6T Deluxe has only 6. If you have a TV tuner and fill hard drives quickly that's a huge difference, because it means a limit of 9 HDDs + a burner instead of 5 HDDs + burner. If not, it's irrelevant.

Both have eSATA (the UD5 has it, even though it's not in the Newegg specs page; you can see the bracket in the picture at Newegg).

Only the P6T has Firewire (IEEE 1394a). That's important if you have a camcorder or digital camera that supports Firewire but not USB.

The UD5 claims support for 24GB of RAM (P6T only 12GB). That looks good on paper but it's junk in reality because it would mean 6 sticks of 4GB each and those cost like 5 times more than the same amount of RAM in 2GB sticks.

I would pick the Gigabyte myself, but mostly because the number of SATA ports is VERY important for me. In your case, I have no idea which is better.

q8y

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
Thanks aevm

how could i know if the coller is compatible with my cpu or not(i7) ?? is there is away to know that??? because i heared that there is some coller for lga 775 is compatible with the i7....

if not, what do you recommend for me ?? i hope u could give me more than one option i can choose from them..
is it fine to stick with the intel fan(the one that come with the processor), can i use it with overclocking ??

i will stick with the ASUS P6T since 6 sata port is more than enough for me ;)

is that ok??? will it give me high overclocking???

how about my HD 4870 1GB???

i want to run crysis in the high setting, and i want to overclock the card... i see from sites that there are more than one brand for the same card??? how do i choose one from them??? and, i heared also, from some one that there is card that already overclocked form the manufacture, how do i destinguish from them ???

is 750w is enough for this computer ??? is there is a special case should i bought from this computer or all will be fine ??

my last 2 Question:
if i bought HD 4870 1GB, will it work on XP with DX10 ??? or it will be DX9 ??
and, i heared that it's too hot (hd 4870) is it ok ??

Thanks in advance;)

LGA 1366 (the socket used by i7) and LGA 775 have different physical dimensions. The only way a cooler designed for LGA 775 will ever work on an i7 CPU is with a bracket (or "clip") for i7. Think of it as an adapter, if you want. Noctua for example has sent out free brackets on request to people who have bought their NH-U12P for LGA 775. They are also selling a new model now called NH-U12P SE1366, for LGA 1366, which doesn't work on LGA 775. Another example is Zalman, selling a bracket (or "clip", whatever):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118045

In general, you need to pick a cooler that says 1366 or i7 somewhere in specs.

This one is excellent bang for the buck, IMO:
XIGMATEK Dark Knight-S1283V $40
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233029

This one is a little quieter and can reach higher clocks, but it costs $85:
Noctua NH-U12P SE1366
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608007

It is fine to stick with the Intel cooler, as long as you don't overclock, or maybe overclock a little.

The P6T Deluxe is a good overclocker, yes.

The HD 4870 1GB can be overclocked too. I haven't tried it myself. Just take it easy, in small steps. If you start getting artifacts or crashes back down to lower clocks.

Factory overclocked cards are cards that have been tried and accepted higher clocks and passed testing. You identify them by checking the clocks in specs. If they are higher than other cards also called HD 4870 then you're looking at a factory overclock. If you buy one of those you are guaranteed a higher clock, but you pay extra. If you get a regular card you pay less, you may still get comparable clocks, but there's no guarantee.

750W is enough for an i7 system with two HD 4870 cards.

If you use XP then any card on the planet will work in Direct X 9 mode (or older). You cannot get Direct X 10 on XP because the XP does not support it.

Too hot for what? My 8800GTX reaches 80 degrees Celsius under load. That's way too hot to touch with my finger, but it's just fine for playing games.

Here's a quote from a review:
http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-4870-review--asus/5

Let's have a look at the temperatures these cards produce. We measured at a room temperature of 21-22 Degrees C, look at idle temperature and then load the GPU 100% for a couple of minutes and measure the temperature once a second and follow the temperature delta.

The 4870 does get hot for sure, luckily it has a dual-slot cooler that will exhaust hot air outside the PC. Initially I had hoped that the results would be better with a dual-slot cooler, yet very likely the high clock speeds on this product forfeit that advantage.

Idle temps are roughly 60 Degrees C, yet when the GPU was fully utilized & stressed it reached 88 Degrees C quite fast. That's definitely a lot, I do hope to see some board-partners going for 3rd party cooling, as that number definitely can go down. Though for the GPU itself, this heat level is not an issue. In fact a GPU can reach 120 Degrees C before the fuses blow.

Please make sure you have a very well ventilated PC.

As long as you have a case with good cooling, it should be all fine. I'd recommend a CoolerMaster RC-690 (and adding 2 or 3 extra fans, e.g. SFF21E), or an NZXT Tempest.

One more thing: you can adjust the fan settings in Catalyst. The higher the setting, the cooler the card will be. Unfortunately, the fan noise will go up with the speed too. You can cheat by making the fan go up before you start playing and then reducing it again when you just want to watch a movie or surf. I do that with my card from time to time.

jeffotron

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I have the XFX Radeon 4870 and there are some well-documented problems with screen flashing at stock clock speeds, you have to ratchet it down to 900Mhz to get rid of them. Not sure if this month's patch has addressed the problem though.

jeffotron

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Also with respect to cooling, I have the i7 920, Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 fan, and antec 900 case. Load CPU temps are around 32C and load GPU temps with the fan at 65% speed runs around 60C. Idle temps are 22C and 35C respectively. Admittedly the GPU fan makes my case sound like its preparing to launch into orbit so I turn down the fan speed to 25% and at that speed the GPU temp is around 54C.

jeffotron

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009

Not sure =)

q8y

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
Guys
i want to buy hd 4870, i should get wich one??? and why(what is the difference)??

i want to buy it from amazon and there is more than one type...

theAnimal

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009

XFX has the best warranty.

q8y

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009

i'm not talking about the warranty, because i will order it online. so there will be no need for the warranty(it will not be used). if it's working it will be ok.

TRENDING THREADS