Sign in with
Your question
Closed

How to Become a Moderator on Tom's Hardware

Last response: in Toms Network
October 4, 2010 12:00:58 AM

Hey, I was wondering how people go about becoming a moderator on Tom's hardware.
Thanks in advance.

More about : moderator tom hardware

October 4, 2010 12:40:55 AM

Well, attending required Gym class on Mon/Wed/Fri in high school is the main reason we defeated the Soviet Union. That and eat Honey Oat Cheerios.
Score
October 4, 2010 12:49:00 AM

And by paying the existing mods off heheh
But the honey oat is no joke
Score
Related resources
October 4, 2010 1:06:01 AM

Umm thanks I guess. But in all seriousness, how would I go about becoming a moderator?
Score
October 4, 2010 1:45:17 AM

To quote random:

With the amount of traffic this site receives it's physically impossible for us to keep a tab on people who come and go, with the exception of the trolls, the really knowledgeable people and the rabid fanboys.

The second one strikes a chord with me ... that and being helpful and having a specialty area you can make your own.

I don't know if we have an opening coming up soon but as I am merely a n00b mod, it is unlikely I'll be asked to consider recommending someone as I am still sweeping the (virtual) floors here and making (virtual) tea for the other guys ... and washing their (very real ... very scary) mopeds with little BoM flags.

Cleaning up the alerts for the two forums is also a lot of work and we are all in different timezones ... so there is a 24/7 presence here too.

It is not a walk in the park, and you assume quite a bit of responsibility.

Joe (our fearless leader) simply doesn't sleep anymore ... it is possible he is an AI?

I can't tell you anymore as the implant they put in my head causes me to blackout.

Oh ... and a good sense of humour is mandatory.

Score
October 4, 2010 2:27:16 AM

Well I am a 17 year old highschool student, who knows lots about computers but I don't have a ton of free time. I really would just like to help keep the site clean and fun for everyone and get rid of "trolls." If I had to have a main/specialty area it would probably be gaming/modding and/or problem solving in general. I am good at thinking " outside the box." If I am not able to become a moderator for any reason I am still happy to help with anything in need of being helpped.
~Jrwizbang
Score
October 4, 2010 2:32:39 AM

Things to consider. 1. Age: 25. Doesn't match with "I am a 17 year ol high school student." 2. Buy cereal.
Score
October 4, 2010 2:38:31 AM

Yes I know that my age is wrong on my account but I never use my real age...i have lots of cereal.....and chinchillas...I eat them every morning with my cereal
Score
October 4, 2010 2:46:32 AM

Never? What could possibly go wrong?
Score
October 4, 2010 2:53:01 AM

Look, I just want to know if I have enough "experience" to even be a moderator. Once that is established we can work from there, otherwise this whole thread is pointless because I have gotten no real straight forward answer. Thanks.
Score
Anonymous
October 4, 2010 8:37:01 AM

Report spam advertising and abusive language/behaviour and eventually someone will spot that you are useful.

Meanwhile just bear in mind the ribbing you're already getting from the guys above and realise that you need a sense of humour (which is not the same as teasing, chaps !) and a thick skin.
Score

Best solution

October 4, 2010 12:11:48 PM

fihart makes a good point.

We track the users who report regularly and just PM'd 5 who were outstanding over the past few months.

Spam is something most of you see pop in and then its gone the next time you check ... thats because we are busy getting rid of it.

Did you know that most mods no longer wear shoes and we also have an aversion to handbags?

Ask one of the others about it ... my implants telling me not to reveal any more.
October 5, 2010 10:12:19 PM

Best answer selected by jrwizbang.
Score
January 20, 2011 3:05:55 PM

jrwizbang said:
Look, I just want to know if I have enough "experience" to even be a moderator. Once that is established we can work from there, otherwise this whole thread is pointless because I have gotten no real straight forward answer. Thanks.

You usually have to prove yourself to the mods. I see guys on here with thousands of posts and threads and they still don't have mod status. It's difficult to get, and I would recommend fixing your bluescreen issue before you can have your claim to fame as mod.
Score
September 11, 2011 2:22:05 PM

This topic has been closed by Reynod
Score
!