Wireless Question

wickedsnow

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2007
I have a 50mbit/10bit comcast cable internet at my home. I have run numerous speed tests to confirm that I am getting 50 mbit.

When i take my computer (same one) off a direct line and put it on wireless, i get maybe 5bit. (upload is still good) It;s not just the number, my actually speed goes way way down.

I currently have the $170 us linksys wrt610n, dualband running both N and G signals. I have the linksys duelband card that goes with it not 2 feet from the router. And i'm getting horrid speeds.

All firewalls are off, and the router (other than spi firewall settings) is default. Both N and G connections give me the same results of 5bit. I can't think for the life of me why. Any suggestions?

Are there any settings that effect my speeds like this? Oh and just inase your wondering, I did try jumbo frames to 9000 and no dice.

G

You can expect a 50% hit on speed if you use wireless because it's a duplex system.

Anything beyond that and you can probably blame it on reception or interference issues (though also check MTU settings by downloading a program like TCP Optimizer).

To improve wireless reception, raise the router above furniture level, experiment with channels (Chan 1 may outperform Chan 11 in your environment or vice versa)
and select a channel 5 stops from the strongest neighbouring wifi network.

Relocate cordless phone base or video sender away from router or computer.

Lee51

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Fihart, you seem to be the true guru on this thread. I understand your answers regarding the channel changing, but what does the statement "and select a channel 5 stops from the strongest...wifi network" mean? You have used it in another post, but i want to understand in case I need to change my configuration also. thanks lee51