Resolution and antialiasing

Mundus33

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
I was wondering at what resolution does antialiasing become unimportant or needs at the most 2x aa. This is of course considering a 28" monitor in a normal computer setup.

The reason I say 28" is that from what I understand at a normal distance 28" is perfect any larger and you have to turn your head. If I am wrong on this feel free to correct me.

The main reason I ask this is that I have never messed around with a 2560x1900 monitor or anything like that so I can only say what I think about 1920x1200 on a 24" and I would say it is pretty close since I only see small gains on 2x and 4xaa.

I also hope that someone out there has a more scientific understanding than I since I was hoping for an answer in the "The human eye can't perceive any difference at _________" but personal opinions are fine too.

Also to clarify I mean a computer monitor not a tv.

efeat

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
It depends on the size of the monitor as well as resolution. 1920x1200 on a 22" monitor will look sharper than that same resolution on a 28" monitor, because both displays have the same amount of pixels, but the larger one has them spread over a larger area (and thus, is more rough).

It also comes down to personal preference and how tolerant you are of jaggies.

if 1920x1200 on a 24" didn't make AA have a big impact for you, 2560x1600 at 28" will make AA have even less impact. I mean, it's about a ~55% increase in pixel count with only an ~18% in screen real estate.

As far as the science behind it...it gets pretty complex as our eyes are extremely complicated. In short, the human eye can see way more detail than we give it credit for.

http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.htm

http://amo.net/NT/02-21-01FPS.html

http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/eye-resolution.html

inglburt

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
Personally I agree with efeat in regards to the fact that alot of it comes down to personal preference. I personally play at 1680x and most games seem to reach the point of diminishing returns at around 4x aa for me on my little 22". Although certain game engines' aliasing look better than others. Another thing is that unless it's really jaggy, I usually don't notice much when things are flying around my head and fireballs are going off every where. But I would assume that the bigger your screen is the more noticeable aliasing would be. And of course as Mactronix said, your distance from the screen would make a difference too. Far Cry 2 looks pretty damn sweet to me at 1920x with 8x aa on my 47" tv. Wish I could get away with putting that in my computer room...

inglburt

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
Personally I agree with efeat in regards to the fact that alot of it comes down to personal preference. I personally play at 1680x and most games seem to reach the point of diminishing returns at around 4x aa for me on my little 22". Although certain game engines' aliasing look better than others. Another thing is that unless it's really jaggy, I usually don't notice much when things are flying around my head and fireballs are going off every where. But I would assume that the bigger your screen is the more noticeable aliasing would be. And of course as Mactronix said, your distance from the screen would make a difference too. Far Cry 2 looks pretty damn sweet to me at 1920x with 8x aa on my 47" tv. Wish I could get away with putting that in my computer room...

inglburt

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007

inglburt

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
Jeeze guys, sorry for the multiple posts, something is wacked here. After posting it went to a blank page, and it seems that every time I hit refresh it reposted...

Mundus33

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
No worries about the multiple post it happens to the best of us.

Anyway I agree that its personal opinion on aa and resolution. I was just curious about what a scientific explanation would yield since its always interesting how there are scientific discussions on things like the effect of expensive cables on a speaker system where one side, based on scientific evidence, says there is no difference and the other that swears by expensive cabling.

Anyway what is your personal opinion at what resolution and screen size would you say. "Antialiasing what is that oh yeah I used that on my last monitor."