Will my 650W power supply be enough for this....

I have an Antec NeoPower 650. It has been running well with a Phenom X4 9950, 8 gigs of ddr2 800 ram, a radeon 4870, and a single 320 gig hard drive ( I really have no need for more than that but I want more). I am looking to upgrade my system, but I don't know much about power supplies. Will this power supply be enough for an i7 920 OC'd to 3.2 ghz, a 1TB hdd, radeon 4870, 6 gigs ddr3 1600, cooler master haf 932 case, and cooler master v8 heatsink? I would appreciate any help or non-biased opinions.

9 answers Last reply
More about will 650w power supply this
  1. Try this:

"eXtreme Power Supply Calculator - Lite version"

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp
  2. The power consumption won't be significantly different from your current system.
  3. Well yes that PSU is a very good quality PSU if not the best...And for the setup that you want to get, even a 550W PSU would be suffice...So that 650W can easily handle that setup...
    But just a heads up...it would not be able to run 2 4870s in crossfire...
  4. Thanks for the help everyone. I appreciate the feedback.

gkay - I kind of figured it wouldn't be able to handle crossfire. My plan is when I do decide to get another graphics card to upgrade the PSU with it.

Thanks again guys.
  5. ^ Then no problem at all...
    But that PSU can easily run 2 4850s in crossfire though...
  6. I like my 4870 too much to get rid of it though :)
  7. Agreed. plenty of power for your proposed setup.
  8. rgglass84 said:
    I like my 4870 too much to get rid of it though :)

Haha...no one said you to part away from that :P
    I was just giving a rough idea what your PSU could handle... :)
  9. rgglass84 said:
    I have an Antec NeoPower 650. It has been running well with a Phenom X4 9950, 8 gigs of ddr2 800 ram, a radeon 4870, and a single 320 gig hard drive ( I really have no need for more than that but I want more). I am looking to upgrade my system, but I don't know much about power supplies. Will this power supply be enough for an i7 920 OC'd to 3.2 ghz, a 1TB hdd, radeon 4870, 6 gigs ddr3 1600, cooler master haf 932 case, and cooler master v8 heatsink? I would appreciate any help or non-biased opinions.

Have that exact same build except two HDD's totaling 1TB and a GTX 260-216 on a 550W Antec PS. You can put anything you want on that power supply outside of SLI with no problem.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Hard Drives Components