Sign in with
Your question

Monitor goes into power saving mode

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 9, 2009 2:20:15 AM

Hi, I am having a strange problem here, what is happening is whenever I go to view a quick time movie online or start up Picasa 3 (Google's photo organizer) or if I go to the video maker in Roxio Creator 2009 my monitor shuts off and says entering power save mode, so I have to restart my computer every time it happens.

At first I thought it was my monitor, because the one I was using was from the stone age (it was just a temporary monitor until I found better one), so today I splurged a got a 22" View Sonic VX2233WM, hoping that it would solve my problem, so I went to the Red Giant Software site and watched a quick time video and a second into the video my monitor shut off, so I restarted my monitor and Installed the monitor driver and tried again with the same result, so then just for good measures I tried one last time, in case the monitor driver needed the computer to be restarted, and the result was the same as before.

So I am wandering if any of you have had this problem and/or know how to fix it.

Here are the computer specs:

Mother Board: P5W-DH Deluxe(with all the necessary drivers)
Processor: Intel Quad Core Q6600
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT(With the latest driver)
Operating System: XP Professional 32Bit

Thanks in advance!!!
March 9, 2009 2:57:12 AM

Try setting it under power options to not sleep and see if that helps it.
March 9, 2009 1:53:03 PM

Control Panel, Power Options......god I would hate to think I spent money on a new monitor just because I needed to change the power saving settings in the control panel. I guess you probably wanted a new monitor, and you are really happy with it though?
Related resources
March 9, 2009 2:06:35 PM

Yes I have gone into the Power Saving options and shut off everything that has something to do with putting the computer to sleep and that did not seem to help with my problem.

My old monitor was a 17" CRT, and my new one is a 22" LCD so it was something that I would have gotten anyway.

But thanks for the fast reply.
March 10, 2009 7:13:58 PM

I swapped out my video card for my 6600gt card and now the problem is completely gone, so I think it was a compatibility issue with some other hardware, so I will just stick with my 6600gt card.
!