Which monitor should i buy for my computer??

q8y

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
Hi

i hava old monitor screen(CRT 17)... and i want to buy a new monitor for my computer... i would like to buy a new lcd with 19 inch that does have dvi port... i want to hear from you, what do you suggest from me to buy???

i mean which brand, type??? also, from my little experience in the lcd monitor, i know that it does have contrast ratio, response time thing... these thing i think it's important right??

i really want from you advice about which model should i go to...

and, are there any big defference between dvi and the vga port...?? since, the common one that is availabe is vga port, but i think dvi is better cause it provies digital output....

i really need ur help guys....

mi1ez

Splendid
Yes, you want DVI.

What graphics card are you running? You probably want to look at 1650x1080 resolution.

Remember, if it looks too good to be true, it probably is. Cheap panels look awful.

I'm very happy with my LG and Samsung are another well regarded make. Believe it or not Dell also make some of the best monitors out there.

try to find as many reviews as you can on specific models as all companies do good and apalling panels. Make sure you get a good one.

Well there are many good 19" inches out there...
Here are a few...
Cheap and good...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009127
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236060

Little Costly -
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005110
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001274
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001245

And as for the VGA and DVI ports, there is no much difference in their functionality(but there is difference in its architecture)
Both provide display output to the monitors...

But if you want more info,

Using VGA, the signal from the CPU is converted to VGA by the video adapter and sent to a monitor with VGA input.

The conversion to VGA causes some loss of quality.

With DVI the signal is not converted (kept digital) and sent to the DVI input on the monitor.

I think you should see a difference if you have a video card with digital output(DVI output)...

q8y

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
i have a cheap graphics card(nvidia 8400 gforce ), but i'm going to buy a new one after the dx 11 is released(i'm waiting for it)... a very good graphics card(like hd 4870 1gb)....

so, i do really want to buy a good lcd... but unfortunatlly not all brand are available in my country(kuwait)... i will try to look for lcd 19 that does have dvi input.... is there any thing that i should look for it??

and thanks alot

q8y

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
i'll do...

and, when i minimized the selection, i'll come and ask you about what you would prefer...

thanks alot

Devastator_uk

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
A lot of cheap ones only support DVI-A (analog) rather than DVI-D (digital), so they are no better than VGA. So they to look for one that specifies that it support a digital DVI signal.

q8y

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
Hi again..
unfortunately i found only this brand... samsung 743bm... do you suggest to me to buy it or not ??

all the monitors that i found them were have only vga port...

q8y

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
Thanks gkay09

since, it's old model, i'll keep looking more.... for it... and i'm not in hurry actually...

i'll let you know when i found new one... thanks again

q8y

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
i found this screen... BENQ E900WD ... how is it??? is it good, and new ??

this is the specification:
5ms Response
Dynamic Contrast Ratio 2500:1
Contrast Ratio 700:1

DVI-D

how is it??? should i go and buy it ??

q8y

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
i forget to mention that it does have multimedia with it(built in sound)...

is it ok to have multimedia with it or without it it's better, or it doesn't matter ??

q8y

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
Hi gkay09

thanks for ur reply....

today after alot of searching(i got headache from the searching ;p)...

i found this one... and it seems these all what are available in my country...

this what i found today G900HD... and it's cheaper than the E900WD(about 20 $ less)... and it seems that it does have better specification...

it have
5ms Response
Dynamic Contrast Ratio 10000:1
Contrast Ratio 1000:1

how is it ??? is it much better, and should i go for it ???

thanks alot gkay09 and other people who help me out... and sorry for bothering u with my questions...

thanks again ;)

Yes that G900HD is also a good one...but make sure you don't get the G900HDA...The G900HDA doesn't have DVI-D...
But actually the E900WD has higher resolution (1440X900) vs the G900HD, which has 1366X768 resolution...So you might miss out on pixel area...

q8y

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009

gkay09

can you be more specific(General way) in the resolution issue... Since, I'm not pro in choosing the best monitor available... all what i know is that, the higher contrast and the lower response time is better... I don't know any thing about the reslution what is for.

i thought that all will have the same resolution since all they are 19 inch(wide)...

i'm waiting for your explanation...

and thanks alot

Well the monitor resolution is actually the number of pixels present in the screen...
And generally games, movies,... are pixel dependent than the size(inches) dependent...

So that is why you can see LCD TVs, which have common resolution that is 1080p/720p but have varying display size(22", 26", 32", ...)

So if you want to see more details in the display, then the pixel count should be more...

And as per the specs of those monitors, the resolution is different like I had said before...

q8y

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
Ok...

Is it that much difference ?? and, what are the uses for the 1440X900 & 1366X768 Resolutions ?? i mean what is the capability for each one ??

Since, I'm really confused for which one should i choose!! ? since, the first one have higher resolution but low in Contrast, and the second one is vice versa...

If, you was in my place what will you choose, and why ??

Thanks

Well the 1440X900 is a standard 19" monitor resolution... and the 1366X768 is actually new resolution one...
I would say you get the 1440X900 as it is capable of displaying more details and when you buy new graphics card, it would fully utilize that extra pixels...
The contrast ratio wont be much of a factor as 700:1 and 1000:1 would be pretty close and with naked eye, you wont be able to see the difference that easy...

q8y

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
I got the E900W... it seem good for me... and it's much better than my old monitor(CRT)...

Thanks alot for helping me