Sign in with
Your question

PSU Death

Last response: in Components
May 12, 2009 3:48:12 PM

I am running a Turbo-Cool 510 ATX PSU. What happened: I turned off my comp. With no previous problems, I tried to turn it back on, nothing (no PSU fan, nothing). Unplugged the PSU cord, toggled the PSU power switch, and then it worked again. I turned off my comp later in the day and then tried to turn it back on the next morning, and again, no power (no fan, nothing). I opened the case up and the there is no power to my mobo or anything.

My previous PSU deaths back on crappy PSUs were a little more dramatic than the way this one went out. Do normal power supply deaths have trouble starting (repeatedly) before they actually stop completely? Does mine sound normal for PSUs that don't go up in smoke?

More about : psu death

a c 144 ) Power supply
May 13, 2009 2:47:17 PM

A PSU may fail catastrophically (flames, smoke, exlposion) or just quietly fail. No motherboard LED's means the PSU is dead.
a c 139 ) Power supply
May 13, 2009 3:02:11 PM

How old is your Turbo-Cool 510?
Related resources
May 13, 2009 4:05:04 PM

WR2 said:
How old is your Turbo-Cool 510?

2004-ish. My best guess would be 5 years.
May 13, 2009 4:08:50 PM

jsc said:
A PSU may fail catastrophically (flames, smoke, exlposion) or just quietly fail. No motherboard LED's means the PSU is dead.

Thank you.

I just had to make sure that it was along normal lines because my PSU failure history wasn't as quiet as this one. I'd troubleshoot it if there was still a sign of power to the mobo but since the fan doesn't come on, LED doesn't light up, I'll just start with replacing the PSU.

!