Sign in with
Your question

PCI Express 2.0 Motherboards???

Last response: in Motherboards
July 16, 2009 6:59:55 AM

Hey I have a P5B-MX asus motherboard with a 7300 GT. I was thinking of buying Geforce GTX 260, but since my motherboard has x16 it wouldn't fully utilize the GTX 260.

So can anyone suggest which motherboard would be better to buy now, which has PCI Express 2. or 3 support???
a b V Motherboard
July 16, 2009 7:24:00 AM

switching from a pcie 16x 1.0 to 2.0 will only show a few fps difference if it shows any at all
Related resources
July 16, 2009 7:55:12 AM

Since all of the new cards are PCI Express 2.0 In the long run would it be useful to buy a new motherboard now?? Like maybe the micro-ATX asus ones???
Thanks for replying.
a b V Motherboard
July 16, 2009 8:01:04 AM

not just for the slot, if you need one anyway why not get it

it's gonna be awhile before it becomes an issue
a b V Motherboard
July 16, 2009 11:07:27 AM

Stick with your current motherboard.
A PCIe 2.0 device is fully backwards compatible with all PCIe 1.x motherboards (and vice verca).
As you are not going to be able to fully saturate the bandwidth of your current PCIe 1.1 16x slot with your chosen GPU anyways, you will have no performance gains in upgrading the motherboard alone.
Wait until you have enough saved up to upgrade your entire system before you worry about it.

On another note, what PSU are you using now?
If you currently have a PSU that is under 500w or has less than 30A on the +12v rail, you will need to upgrade before running this new GPU.
In this case, look into a quality Corsair, PCP&C, Seasonic or Antec Earthwatts 500w+ PSU.
!