Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Performance
  • Intel
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
August 21, 2010 6:02:24 PM

Hello everyone,
after getting my new comp mainly for SC2 I noticed quite a lot of people loading the maps faster than me. After checking some benchmarks and changing some stuff (reconnected the HD from sata3 to sata2 connector, changed BIOS setting to ahci) the performance improved but there is still issues with reading throughput. I made a screenshot comparing my HDTune graph to a graph from a X-25M G2 160GB I found on the web.

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/8297/benchmark2.jpg

As you can see there is a significant loss in reading performance at the start of the disc and some smaller spikes later on compared to how it should look like. With another benchmark (h2wbench) I also had some strange results in access time sometimes maxing at 500ms (!). While I guess that the overall performance is within specs I strongly assume there is something wrong. Question is: is it a driver, hardware, bios or os problem?

Any ideas?

thanks

More about : performance issue intel 25m 80gb win7

a b å Intel
a c 415 G Storage
August 21, 2010 6:14:50 PM

Are you sure there was no other disk I/O going on at the time of the test? Do the results look exactly the same each time you do a benchmark?
August 21, 2010 6:27:37 PM

yeah I tried a couple of times, the graph is identical every time. The only running apps were firefox and hdtune
Related resources
August 21, 2010 6:43:39 PM

I just checked the alignment with an online calculator (http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/other/157)

according to diskpart the values for my volume 1 (drive c) are fine (offset 105906176 byte, file allocation size 4096 byte).

could this have anything to do with the volume 0? It has a size of 100MB is placed before by boot partition and was obviously created while installing win 7.
a b å Intel
a c 415 G Storage
August 21, 2010 7:12:47 PM

The 100MB recovery partition is normal - it's created by the Windows 7 install procedure. Your system boots from that partition and it it can't find the OS partition or if the OS is corrupted it contains tool to help you repair it.

Other than that, I'm not sure what the issue might be.

Anyone else?
!