Sign in with
Your question

GTX 470 Too Hot?

Last response: in Overclocking
August 25, 2010 11:58:10 PM

Hello, I have just overclocked my GTX 470 (air) using this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2zfh_5pjMo&feature=rela...

I am running the benchmark from MSI's website (fuzzy MSI logo) and my GPU temp is at 89/90c. Is this too hot? should I still keep this overclock or should i tone it down? If so, what settings should I use?

Values are: 1.08v/775Mhz/1700Mhz

Thanks

-Mark

More about : gtx 470 hot

August 26, 2010 3:54:22 PM

Yes that is too hot. Is it on stock Air cooling? If so what is your Fan speed? with OC 75%-100% fan speed will be needed. It will be LOUD yep...

75C probably highest I would go to be on the safe side.
a b K Overclocking
August 26, 2010 5:14:13 PM

Tone it down. Your card is powerful enough without the oc. It will give you better mileage in overall long run.
Related resources
August 26, 2010 6:16:41 PM

Kraze7 said:
Yes that is too hot. Is it on stock Air cooling? If so what is your Fan speed? with OC 75%-100% fan speed will be needed. It will be LOUD yep...

75C probably highest I would go to be on the safe side.

I have the fan on auto. I had it on 100% for a while and was at about 85c. ive set the speeds to stock again.

quick question, I am playing Mafia 2, and i get fps lag spikes down to 25fps from 75 or 80. I dont know why either, when I'm driving around the fps will drop randomly, or even when I'm inside. I'm thinking it has something to do with physx, should I use my gpu to run it or my cpu? (Q9550). When im in a fire right with people the fps will be okay, (around 60-70) but drops randomly.

Thanks for the replys
August 26, 2010 6:32:11 PM

Yea, auto fan is not reliable and I wouldn't trust auto fan anyway.

As for Mafia 2, I haven't play the game myself so I can't really help you out there. But 25fps still playable isn't it? How about change the game setting itself that might give you a smother gameplay.
August 26, 2010 10:14:56 PM

if it is getting to 90C on a benchmark, I don't think that is so bad. Use afterburner to set a custom fan speed curve so it will spin fast enough when you need it to without being obnoxious when you aren't using it. (stock auto only goes to like 65%)

Also, let afterburner or some other program monitor temps in the background when you play a game, which should give you a real life usage scenario as well, and tell us what that is.

A quick note: for some reason, Total war likes to run a card at 100% a lot in campaign mode, at least with my 470 and everything on high. I kind of think they squeezed too much stuff into the campaign map effects (heat waves? for what is essentially a view of a game board? Really, now.) as well as just rendering it inefficiently. So if you run that, it may tax your card more than other games, and not really be an average idea of what game temps are.
a c 153 U Graphics card
August 27, 2010 2:03:06 AM

Is that 90c in furmark? If so you are fine.... That card is fine up to ~96c, and if you aren't getting past 90c in furmark you don't need to worry.

Also when you overclock while gaming or running benchmarks you should have the fan set to 90 percent or higher, screw that "auto" crap, set it manually.
August 27, 2010 2:47:37 AM

It was some msi benchmark, it may tax it just as well, but you may want to run it on furmark to see how it compares to a know standard
August 27, 2010 2:26:59 PM

Ok, ill run Furmark for a bit and see what the temp is
August 27, 2010 2:33:42 PM

ok so, i ran furmark, the temp got to about 98c (100%fan) so i stopped once it reached that point. Im going to maybe lower the clocks and the voltages a bit what do you recommend? ill try furmark on stock clocks to see what temp it gets to.
August 27, 2010 2:37:05 PM

ok, i ran furmark for a bit till i saw the peak temp then it flattened out, at about 68c. 100% fan on stock clocks. i might try a bit of an oc with a littel higher voltage and some clock increases. i also saw that my average fps was 130 with the oc and 115 without. not that big of a difference
August 27, 2010 2:47:53 PM

Did some voltage increases, and some clock increases, im up to 130fps again with a temp of about 86c. pretty good

1.000v/700mhz/1700mhz/100%
August 27, 2010 4:05:53 PM

yeah, simply put, if the temp is too high, so is you OC.
August 27, 2010 4:08:01 PM

But if it maxes at 90-95 on furmark when your fans are as high as you want them to go, thats probably your limit. the 470's official limit is 105C, but I would always recommending stopping it a little before that.
August 31, 2010 6:05:37 AM

Man, EVGA must have hooked me up with the Superclocked+ . I had one GTX 470 for the past 10 weeks and it never went above 75C even with a good appreciable OC on it and playing graphic intensive games on max settings, without having to put my fan really above 70% or so at full load to keep that temperature. It would idle below 40C with my fan speed around 45%.

Now that I have bought a second GTX 470 for SLI, which I just got today, the top card runs way hotter than it used to, as expected, but still no where near these temperatures I see other people getting. I have my fan set so that I have not seen the top cards temperature exceed 75C or so at full load. but this time it takes a lot more juice from the fans. Now I have to keep my fans around 75% idle if i wanna keep my top card below 55C, a bit noisier but still not dealing with the super high temperatures.

I am using a HAF 932 so I get to hear those fans nicely xD... the bottom card is idling at 20C lower than the top card... it is at 34C right now. Top card is at 53C. I know these cards are known to run hot, so I am glad I have a lot of room to work with. I wouldn't worry about temps around 90C at full load. According to the reviews I have read it is normal and tolerable for these cards.

-- Also I recommend MSI afterburner for adjusting your fan speeds and keeping your temperatures down. & I am not sure why you are adjusting the voltages... I have my cards overclocked pretty nicely in Afterburner without manually adjusting any of the voltages.
Core Clock: 760
Shader Clock: 1520
Memory Clock: 1885

a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
September 2, 2010 3:23:35 PM

devilboy9944 said:
I have the fan on auto. I had it on 100% for a while and was at about 85c. ive set the speeds to stock again.

quick question, I am playing Mafia 2, and i get fps lag spikes down to 25fps from 75 or 80. I dont know why either, when I'm driving around the fps will drop randomly, or even when I'm inside. I'm thinking it has something to do with physx, should I use my gpu to run it or my cpu? (Q9550). When im in a fire right with people the fps will be okay, (around 60-70) but drops randomly.

Thanks for the replys

Oi, i got an oced gtx 460, i get the same problem you experiencing, , my average fps in 87 , but it randomly drops to 25 sometimes, might be anywhere !
That is weird. Only games am experiencing fps drops
September 2, 2010 10:25:45 PM

55Range said:
Oi, i got an oced gtx 460, i get the same problem you experiencing, , my average fps in 87 , but it randomly drops to 25 sometimes, might be anywhere !
That is weird. Only games am experiencing fps drops

yeah its Weird, I think the game just has some bugs still
!